• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bristol City's move gone

plain capers

The Bristol City Council last night kicked out the planning application for the re-development of Ashton Gate and there is no doubt that Sainsbury's will now walk, leaving BCFC with no money for the new ground.

Politicians, what a bunch of narrow minded w*nkers. apparently they gave in to a local pressure group supporting the small shopping parade at Ashton Vale and voted against the advice of their officers. The 12 year old chairman of the Planning Committee (well that's what he looked like on the tele) said that this was a victory for democracy. Turning down £150m+ of inward investment, 400 jobs, some victory!

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
This isn't over, although I grant you the FIFA people won't be impressed when they visit Bristol soon. The decision to refuse the supermarket will be appealed and the ground move could be back on track in 6 months or so. 2018 is still a long time away. In the meantime, I expect that the Chairman will give some funding guarantees. He has very deep pockets.

They will be watching developments closely in P*****th. If the Bristol bid doesn't work out, theirs might even be taken seriously...

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Why does Bristol City need such a large stadium? More than double their average attendance last season. Maybe the council has done them a favour.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
As already pointed out..Its called democracy...

Does Bristol really need another Sainsburys?...& what is wrong with Ashton Gate?...

Its good that a council planning department,does not do what Sainsburys want..

plain capers

Ahh, nice sentiments Olds, but the Planning Law being what it is, this means that going against the advice of the professional officers the Councillors have set themselves up for a big compensation claim, if the inevitable Appeal succeeds.

StroudGrecian

Ahh, nice sentiments Olds, but the Planning Law being what it is, this means that going against the advice of the professional officers the Councillors have set themselves up for a big compensation claim, if the inevitable Appeal succeeds.
I'm pretty sure that's not true.

Officers are there to tell the planning committee if an application stacks up against the innumerable planning rules and regulations. Sounds like this one did tick all the boxes, hence the recommendation. However, it's up to the councillors to decide if an application is in the best interest of the city and its citizens. It is what they are elected to do. They do not pay out compensation to failed applications even if that decision is overturned at appeal. If that was on the case they would never dare to turn any application down.

plain capers

Strouds, you are right in principle, but with the amount of money available to Sainsbury's et al, and the presumption of grant of permission in these post Prescott days, a case of vexatious refusal could easily be argued in court. I'm afraid local Councillors no longer have the right to decide what they like, just because they can, we are in the brave new world created by Tony B liar.

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
It always surprised me why they want to leave Ashton gate and not just redevlop it instead. It already has relatively good road access and what would work even more if the local council could help stump up the funding to open up the old Ashton Vale railway station which is yards from the ground, run a train shuttle service to and from Temple Meads which I think would be a huge benefit. There will be more twists in this yet methinks.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
They can't get AG up to WC size because of the houses close to the boundary of the ground on three sides. They would be completely overshadowed by larger stands. Its up to full size at the moment. They think that they are destined for the Premiership, where Ashton Gate wouldn't meet the demand.

I'm not convinced on either count.

Grecian2K

Why does Bristol City need such a large stadium? More than double their average attendance last season.
A handful of people in DARLINGTON have been asking the self-same question about their ground for the last few years! ^o)

Last edited: