• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bring Back Alex The Greek

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I suspect you're decidely in the minority about our present day lion being "rubbish". I think its extremely insulting to Tim Sumner, who's donned that outfit in all winds and weathers for well over 12 years. He's also an extremely nice bloke who I had the pleasure of meeting in the center spot when I was back there in 2006 - He was doing the lion thing at that time, and I think he deserves far more consideration before being replaced with a bloke dressed up as some sort of gladiator. I dont think Alex worked well, and I dont think Athena was much of a representation of our club either, constantly getting yelled at to: "Get her ***s out" and promoting chants from away fans like: "Do you take it up yer a*s"! Not a good example to the woman and children watching and listening. I much prefer something furry and cuddley!
Quite..although it's Chris.

Redarrow

If you think our mascots outfit could be better I suggest you google ‘football mascots in the uk’, you will realise ours is fantastic compared to most!!

Majority of mascots actually have no affiliation with the club!!

West Brom have a Boiler, Southend have Patrick starfish from the spongebob cartoon and Cardiff city have some superhero called Zoe Lou

I think ours is great and both my kids love a photo with Grecian the lion when they can.

IndoMike

Wasn't one interation of Alex the Greek someone we "signed" from Hull?

Anyway my uni housemates were at Ashton Gate when this happened:

I remember Sums donning the costume for an away match that I brought a couple of mates along to - they were falling about laughing at me chatting perfectly normally to a 6 foot lion.
Gotta laugh..

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting thread, quite how our friend in the USA got my name wrong though is rather baffling - who’s Tim? :unsure:

As you all know, Grecian has recently undergone a regeneration along with obtaining a female sidekick, so it’s not going to be changing any time soon - especially as a lot of work has gone into the regeneration project.

Yours truly is still the man behind Grecian, and it’s been 13 years since I first took on the role as a fresh-faced 18-year-old. I’ve tried my hardest to endear Grecian to the adults as well as the kids over the years, and although the world has changed a fair bit over that time, I hope that it can continue.

With regards to Alex the Greek, the guy who played him moved to Burton, so wasn’t particularly a fan of our club. The thing I’ve always tried to do in the role is convey my passion for our club, because first and foremost I am a fan, and it’s important in my opinion to have a fan of the club playing the mascot role, because quite simply they’re more passionate about it. In addition, I’m grateful to have the opportunity to give back to the club in this way.

Another answer to the question of why we have lion mascots is this - SJP Railway Station was once known as ‘Lion’s Halt’.

Interested to see that the OP is one of the candidates standing for election to the trust, and yet the Trust were one of the main players in getting the mascot regeneration project moving.

I hope that the lioness and myself can continue to enhance the matchday experience going forward - we’ll give it our best shot anyway. (y)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting thread, quite how our friend in the USA got my name wrong though is rather baffling - who’s Tim? :unsure:

As you all know, Grecian has recently undergone a regeneration along with obtaining a female sidekick, so it’s not going to be changing any time soon - especially as a lot of work has gone into the regeneration project.

Yours truly is still the man behind Grecian, and it’s been 13 years since I first took on the role as a fresh-faced 18-year-old. I’ve tried my hardest to endear Grecian to the adults as well as the kids over the years, and although the world has changed a fair bit over that time, I hope that it can continue.

With regards to Alex the Greek, the guy who played him moved to Burton, so wasn’t particularly a fan of our club. The thing I’ve always tried to do in the role is convey my passion for our club, because first and foremost I am a fan, and it’s important in my opinion to have a fan of the club playing the mascot role, because quite simply they’re more passionate about it. In addition, I’m grateful to have the opportunity to give back to the club in this way.

Another answer to the question of why we have lion mascots is this - SJP Railway Station was once known as ‘Lion’s Halt’.

Interested to see that the OP is one of the candidates standing for election to the trust, and yet the Trust were one of the main players in getting the mascot regeneration project moving.

I hope that the lioness and myself can continue to enhance the matchday experience going forward - we’ll give it our best shot anyway. (y)
If it was up to me Grecian wouldn't be going anywhere near the transfer list.

#teamGrecianthelion

Swanaldo

I think its extremely insulting to Tim Sumner, who's donned that outfit in all winds and weathers for well over 12 years.
Nearly as insulting as getting Chris Sumner's name wrong.

Bittners a Legend

I like Grecian the Lion, salute your work and don't agree at all that we need to change but I don't much like the sentence in bold. Don't see the relevance at all and wouldn't expect or want all prospective Trustees to agree on every decision or project previously made.

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
I like Grecian the Lion, salute your work and don't agree at all that we need to change but I don't much like the sentence in bold. Don't see the relevance at all and wouldn't expect or want all prospective Trustees to agree on every decision or project previously made.
It’s an observation, not a criticism.

Bittners a Legend

It’s an observation, not a criticism.
It doesn't read that way - "and yet". What is your observation?

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't read that way - "and yet". What is your observation?
That the trust were a big player in this, and that considering the mascots have only just been introduced, the timing isn’t ideal.

Apologies if the sentence offends you, as I didn’t wish it to read that way - but you don’t need to be so confrontational about it either.