• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bring Back Alex the Greek

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for shattering that illusion Mike...Next you'll be telling me that Father Christmas isn't real :p

Ellisthegreek

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, but not the same one, she has to be worth looking at.
I think she had a nice rack on her ;)

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why did we change mascots in the first place ?
After certain provocative 'let's be havin' you' gestures to opposition fans, as well as the ritual disembowelling of the robin at Cheltenham, Alex was unsurprisingly banned from several grounds, including those perennial underachieving killjoys at Argyle.

Mike Blackstone

Thanks for shattering that illusion Mike...Next you'll be telling me that Father Christmas isn't real :p
There must be a lot of imposters as there seem to be lots of them in every town and city in the weeks leading up to Christmas? Please don't tell me there is more than one? No, there can't be, can there?

Mike Blackstone

After certain provocative 'let's be havin' you' gestures to opposition fans, as well as the ritual disembowelling of the robin at Cheltenham, Alex was unsurprisingly banned from several grounds, including those perennial underachieving killjoys at Argyle.
They were jealous when noticing the length of his spear?

a lion has nothing to do with Ecfc.
Pride of Devon.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes I am. Ho Ho Ho.

thermopylai

The lion is an annoying irrelevance to ECFC - and the "pun" on Pride of Devon is simply embarrassing. Sumner has made the best of a bad idea - and I for one would vote for him to be promoted to being Alex.

Alex was a part of our unique identity, and getting rid of him was a misguided piece of marketting. The idea that a "cuddly" lion would be more appealing to kids than an ancient warrior is simply ridiculous. With the recent surge of interest in ancient Greek stuff caused by the "300" movie, this is an ideal time to bring Alex back. It is something we could market - little Alex dolls etc - as part of our heritage.

In the greater scheme of things mascots are not particularly important. But as part of our history and identity, and even for commercial reasons, bringing back Alex would be a vast improvement.

Mods - can we have a poll on this?

yes bring him back, we are the grecians, i understand that grecian the lion stands for 'the pride of Devon' but the meaning of pride (in wild terms) means more than one, a group, yet we only have one...

bring back alex least it was understandable and more of a laugh on the pitch.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
Any truth in the rumour that the lion suit was going cheap and we shoehorned the 'pride of Devon' thing in?

Why not have a completely new mascot - something undeniably Devonian/Exonian???