• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Big decision looms for the Football League

MadJohn

Coaching a non-league football team in a Cornwall
Not sure, mate. But it appears the delay is for the panel to consider its decision...

From HUFC website:

The Football Disciplinary Commission hearing charges against Hartlepool United for fielding an ineligible player in their match against Brighton & Hove Albion has been adjourned. A Football League spokesman said: "A Football Disciplinary Commission met today to consider the charge against Hartlepool United for fielding a player whilst he was suspended from playing for accruing 10 yellow cards

"The Commission has now adjourned to consider its decision. The Commission's decision will be released on Thursday 6th May. No further comment will be made."

Last edited:
There is simply no way we will lose the two goals. Such an action would be entirely without precedent. I am expecting us to get a deduction. Could be a point, could be two, could be three. But the goal difference will be unaffected regardless.
As much as it would suit me as a city fan to see you lose points, it would be wrong, West Ham got away with murder over the Tevez affair and had no points deducted, so to pick on the small club would IMHO be wrong

papillon

A 10 points deduction is the only fair course of action for all concerned :)

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Totally agree Ant, its time to accept were f*cked!
If only Tranmere had had that attitude when facing Millwall we'd be safe by now!

Get a backbone man!

Alistair20000

I thought the lily livered inconsistent FA would kick this into the long grass until next week deducting 3 points only if Pools are safe and can stand the deduction. But if the deduction would send them down maybe finding "extenuating circumstances."

Last edited:

StroudGrecian

HUFC met with the Football League today. The hearing has now been adjourned, and a verdict will be announced on Thursday. Not sure why there is a delay but some of our fans are taking it as good news, i.e. if it was a cut-and-dried case why not just announce today?
So what are these significant extenuating circumstances then?

TBH it makes naff all difference to us, unless they can't decide how many more points than 3 they're going to deduct.

Cravat

Totally agree Ant, its time to accept were f*cked!
What a strange attitude. Destiny is in our hands. We win, we stay up.

Simples.

RHINO

How can the league officials be so callous at this moment in time several clubs most of all Hartlepool need to know where they stand so as to prepare both mentally and tactically for saturday, there will be a point deduction but taking away the 3 points is not a punishment its just taking what they won with an illegal player what if they had lost would they have got away with it and what about there goal difference

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hartlepool wont lose more than the 3 points they gained in that game, which means to finish above them we would need to win, which would mean we are safe regardless of Hartlepool, so this whole affair is pretty meaningless to us now

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the lily livered inconsistent FA would kick this into the long grass until next week deducting 3 points only if Pools are safe and can stand the deduction. But if the deduction would send them down maybe finding "extenuating circumstances."
I don't think you're far wrong.

Seems to me, this should and could have been dealt with weeks ago. The FA is, I guess, anxious to avoid any legal action - such as might arise if Hartlepool were to be relegated as a result of any points deduction - while, at the same time, keen to be seen to be doing the right thing.

As Alistair suggests, I reckon they were, to all intents and purposes, waiting until Hartlepool were safe before announcing a three-point deduction. Of course, they now find themselves in limbo and, that being the case, will I dare say do precisely as Alistair has predicted and contrive to find some 'extenuating circumstances'.

Last edited: