• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Big decision looms for the Football League

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm taking it as read Hartlepool will lose the three points they won when they fielded a suspended player against Brighton.

What, I wonder, happens as regards the two goals they scored in that game? Logic dictates they must go too which would take their goal difference to -10.

It may be clutching at straws but, hey, Tranmere could beat Stockport and we could stay up courtesy of a draw against Huddersfield if Brentford run riot against Hartlepool at Griffin Park next Saturday.

If our game did finish in a draw and Hartlepool lost by three goals it goes down to goal scored - unfortunately, the BBC table isn't much help in that respect. Does any one know how our goalscoring compares to Hartlepool's?!

*Crosses fingers*

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
We have scored 46, they have scored 59. Not much help there

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bugger. Hartlepool have scored 13 more goals than us so goals scored ain't gonna be any help to us, we need Brentford to win 4-0 then if we draw with Huddersfield we finish above Hartlepool on goal difference. Come on you Bees!

MadJohn

Coaching a non-league football team in a Cornwall
There is simply no way we will lose the two goals. Such an action would be entirely without precedent. I am expecting us to get a deduction. Could be a point, could be two, could be three. But the goal difference will be unaffected regardless.

heathy1

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your safe forget about it (unless you get a 4 point deduction!?

Oli

I expect 3 points, that would be standard and therefore nothing to do with us.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
Please Football League, can you just deduct Hartlepool enough points to keep us in L1. I can't even bear to look at the table.

Banksy

Clutching at straws is about right.

MadJohn

Coaching a non-league football team in a Cornwall
By the way, someone watching Soccer Saturday today heard Jeff Stelling say something along the lines of "those that think (Hartlepool) will automatically get points taken off should be aware there are SIGNIFICANT extenuating factors". Not sure quite what to make of that.

I think Jeff Stelling was clutching at straws !