• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Best ever City Center Half.......

citizen33

We've had some very good players in that position, and I think Oliver, ST, Newman and Sir Rob all have strong claims. However, I echo the honorable mention for Keith Harvey. He was a local Kirton lad who marshalled the defense in a team that won promotion on the basis of the very few goals conceded. Keith was also one of the best from the penalty spot that I have seen.

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know we're talking centre halves but I just couldn't resist posting this photo (found near that of Ken Oliver) of the absolute legend that is George Hunter.

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/axa_fa_cup_first_round_brentford_v_exeter_city/print/4567623.html

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
I just couldn't resist posting this photo of the absolute legend that is George Hunter.

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/axa_fa_cup_first_round_brentford_v_exeter_city/print/4567623.html
Fetish alert !

Beninho

Slightly before my time, but interesting that Bobby Saxton hasn't got a mention unless I've missed it. Peter Whiston is the most stylish City CB I remember. Phil Roberts was always fairly comfortable on the ball too as far as I recall.

Other than that, the two Taylors have got to be contenders if slightly more rudimentary in their approach. However, having factored in the tightness of shorts, size of perms, weight of football, evolution of boot technology and other such variables, my vote goes to Nicky Marker.

Will TAH be added to this illustrious list in a few years?

Poultice

Slightly before my time, but interesting that Bobby Saxton hasn't got a mention
Certainly not before my time but for me it was a t*ss up between Sax and Newman and there can be only one "best".

Hammer44

Kevin Bond:D

Ah yes-Kevin Bond. I remember the Exe-Directory cartoon involving him pushing a forward over as a matter of course. Too fat, too slow and couldn't give a fig about ECFC.

Grecian_In_Exile

Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
Richard Dryden

berniesworld

Big Trev Morgan (at the end of his career)

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know we're talking centre halves but I just couldn't resist posting this photo (found near that of Ken Oliver) of the absolute legend that is George Hunter.

Ah yes. City's greatest ever 'keeper.