• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Hamer

punkmeister

lets say it:

Hamer>Jonesy

dommers

lets say it:

Hamer>Jonesy
If you want someone who think's he's better than he is then I think Hamer is your man.

As a shot stopper Jones is better than Hamer will ever be.

Although Hamer may be a bit better at commanding his box.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
A minor detail, I'm sure... Perhaps it might be worth listening to what Troy has to say (E&E):

Troy Archibald-Henville has hailed the impact of on-loan goalkeeper Ben Hamer.

The shot stopper collected his fourth clean sheet in 12 Grecians appearances at Rochdale on Saturday, making a number of good saves to help his side to a 1-0 victory that moved them up to ninth in the npower League One table.

Hamer also had a hand in City's winner at Spotland as his long goal kick was flicked on by Richard Logan, allowing Jamie Cureton to coolly slot home his 15th of the campaign.

And Archibald-Henville says such a contribution has been typical of how well Hamer has performed since signing for Paul Tisdale's side from Reading back in January.

"Ben has shown the quality he has got, coming from a club in a higher league. He is a Championship-quality keeper," Archibald-Henville said.

"He is great at kicking, he is vocal, and he helps a lot with the defence. Ben makes it easier for us defenders and he makes it easy for the team to get on the attack with his kicking and distribution."

I can't see them ever saying that about poor Jonah, who, judging by the other players' body language and general feeling of him being isolated (start of 2nd half at St Mary's for instance), did not enjoy the confidence and support of his team mates..

arthur

If you want someone who think's he's better than he is then I think Hamer is your man.

As a shot stopper Jones is better than Hamer will ever be.

And another thing - if you command your box well you don't need to stop so many shots. The best goalies are an integral part of a defence that minimises the opposition's shooting opportunities... Someone who constantly needs to display their shot stopping prowess is not necessarily that good a keeper - cf Banks vs "the cat" Bonetti

Grecian Max

I'd hope we could get him in on a permanent. Wouldn't be a massive surprise, I think we could be a good fit for a season or two.

I like him, miles better than Jones.

STURTZ

Agreed, we can all feel safe to say it now. Jones was a f*cking liability.

sirhc

Very good at Rochdale. Commanding, good kicking, and although he wasn't called onto make a great save, the several shots Dale fired straight at him he held well - Jones may have fumbled one.

His kicking was very poor against Hartlepool but I think that was more decision making failings..unlike Jonesy he hasn't got a technical inability to kick or control a football, he just needs to hoof it sometimes

A simplistic way of looking at it, obviously among other factors, but away from home you need a keeper who can organise your defence as you inevitably come under a bit of pressure. The only away defeat was at P'boro....plus 3 wins!

Last edited:
Agreed, we can all feel safe to say it now. Jones was a f*cking liability.
Jones was a liability, but I don't think that Hamer is any less sh*te. Okay he doesn't seem to make the balls ups, but I'm yet to see anything that makes me think he's anywhere near Jonah in terms of actually saving shots. All to often he fails to hold onto fairly simple efforts on goal.

wemissmoxey

the several shots Dale fired straight at him he held well - Jones may have fumbled one.
Hamer did fumble one however he got away with it.

I have seen English Cricketers with safer hands.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
According to skysports.com a number of Championship clubs , e.g. Millwall, Hull and Swansea are keeping an eye on him. True, or is it his agent talking?