• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ben Chrisene

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back on subject - sorry guys, interesting that he signed for AVFC academy, does show a lack of ambition bearing in mind this from earlier this year https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2020/01/17/aston-villa-U23s-exeter-premier-league-cup#:~:text=Aston Villa's Under-23s suffered,Exeter City at Bodymoor Heath.

Okay changes have been made in their academy but......

Anyway he was never going to sign for us with all the large clubs sniffing around so if the moneys good let's move on to the next one - Sonny somebody is it?
We beat them 3-0 at the park as well. They had very skilful and promising players who kept on playing "their way" but the difference was our lads had more competitive experience and sharpness having been playing first team games out on loan as well as in the PL Cup and FLT. We just had more know how than Villa to take advantage of their competitive inexperience.

I think most of the clubs with grade one academies need to come around to the idea that although they are producing more skilful players coming through their ranks, they need to get them out on loan earlier, 18 or 19 years old, to get that competitive know how and match sharpness. That's why the top clubs keep arguing for B teams, because you can call Premier League 2 anything you want, but it is still a youth/reserve league and is not competitive enough to develop that side of the game. Their performances in the FLT have probably been a good wake up call and learning experience for them, despite what we as lower league football fans think of the concept. After all, it has been a good bridge for our own young players over the past few years.

As for Ben, I am sure he will get very good coaching as a scholar and possibly even more recognition from England although he has already gained some whilst with us. If he isn't knocking on the door of Villa's first team at 18 though, he needs to get out on loan to get proper first team experience to fully realise his undoubted potential.

andrew p long

As an alternative to Premier League Grade One academies getting players out on loan at 18/19 perhaps instead they could leave the 15/16/17 year olds at League Two clubs so as to gain precisely that experience. what they currently do is hoover up lots of young talent away from lower league clubs and then complain that they are not getting enough lower league experience .

Rosencrantz

As an alternative to Premier League Grade One academies getting players out on loan at 18/19 perhaps instead they could leave the 15/16/17 year olds at League Two clubs so as to gain precisely that experience. what they currently do is hoover up lots of young talent away from lower league clubs and then complain that they are not getting enough lower league experience .
And pay a fair price for that more proven talent :eek: Whatever next!

Far better of course for the FA to take the slice of cash from the Premier League and redistribute it into high quality youth coaching at all levels throughout the country. After all, much better having 120 high quality centres all over the country churning out quality youngsters than the 25 or so that there "supposedly" are now, many concentrated in the same areas. But instead they got "persuaded" by the PL to make it easier and cheaper to concentrate the talent at the better funded clubs, ie the PL clubs. Without strong leadership, self interest and cash rules. It's why Germany are far more successful at International level.

The talent coming through in England is improving and slowly increasing in numbers. Hopefully England's chances will improve with it. But there is still a lot more that can be done to improve and smooth that transition from youth to first team and with it, that know how and winning mentality we still seem to lack at full international level.

Of course with our City hats on, we would much rather be able to keep our youngsters and get properly rewarded when they move on.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Despite the varying degrees of criticism, it would seem that all other EFL clubs are adjudged to be behind us with regards to transparency....

"The club topped the first Fan Engagement Index, an index which scores each of the from the Premier League to League Two on the relationship with their fans. It places each club in a league table comprising three areas: dialogue, governance and transparency."

Report here
Agree with that, and I try to contribute in a small way with reports in the matchday programme on attendances, etc. [not going to need those this season...]

But that was not my point. I was referring to the financial information released by the Company (Exeter City AFC Limited).

StudentGrecian

Tagg confirms it was ‘nowhere near’ the 1.5 million that was reported.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster

I'd guess reading between the lines of the order of a third of that? Still enough to keep the wolf from the door for a while until Watkins moves.

Last edited:

Grecianpasty

I think it's a big mistake drawing attention to what the sun has reported. Most people will have taken that with a pinch of salt, but it's now made me think that there's probably some truth to the report and that tagg Is trying to hide that. He would have been better off keeping it undisclosed IMHO.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was around 800k upfront plus add ons. Chrisene took a 5% payment of 45k, not bad for a lad of his age! The rumours of Bayern being interested aren't true. His agent secured a trial with them but it was unsuccessful and he wasn't offered anything.
This comes from a friend who is a father of someone in the academy and knows Chrisenes Dad.

STURTZ

It was around 800k upfront plus add ons. Chrisene took a 5% payment of 45k, not bad for a lad of his age! The rumours of Bayern being interested aren't true. His agent secured a trial with them but it was unsuccessful and he wasn't offered anything.
This comes from a friend who is a father of someone in the academy and knows Chrisenes Dad.
What are the add ons?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
What are the add ons?
Sorry, I don't know