• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Belarus 1 - 3 England

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It was a superb goal, I grant you.

However, for about 25 minutes during the first half I wondered whether he was actually on the pitch. We had so much play down the inside left channel but Gerrard, supposedly playing down that way, was nowhere to be seen.

Dobley

I think its quite telling that despite chalking up 4 wins from 4 (and all quite comfortably), in three of those we were level at half time, and 'only' 1-up against Croatia - which really suggests the fire and belief that Capello has now installed into the team.

In recent times, if we got to the break at 0-0 or 1-1, you just knew the second half was going to drag, so all you could do was hope we could nick the odd goal, and await the media backlash and excuses (we're too unfit, we run out of steam etc).

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
It was a superb goal, I grant you.

However, for about 25 minutes during the first half I wondered whether he was actually on the pitch. We had so much play down the inside left channel but Gerrard, supposedly playing down that way, was nowhere to be seen.
Your picking out one player there , the whole side midfield went missing for 20 mins or so but give them credit they pulled it back and went onto play well 2nd half , Barry for a holding midfielder IMO doesnt break the play up enough not like a Ince or a Batty used to , neat and tidy yes but a real ball winning snarler no...

Gerrard is IMO Englands best footballer by a stretch , the problem he has is because he is so good he gets played in different areas of the pitch all the time , in behind the striker , right midfield , left midfield , central midfield - the difference with Lampard is that he doesnt have the class/ability Gerrard has to play in other areas of the field...

Gerrards place in the England team is a given IMO , You dont leave players out of his class end of story.

Gerrards 1/2 with Rooney for the 3rd goal was supreme , the way Gerrard read the play and linked him back in with a slide rule ball was superb play , he also did fantastic when he hit the post late on the burst of pace/strength amazing yes he should of scored but hey ho the game was already over...

Heskey , Gerrard and Rooney for me last night won England that game.

angelic upstart

But Credy Gerrard is the scorer of great goals and not much else.

He's lazy and does bugger all else half the time. It's a telling sign when all of L'pools midfield is defensive and work ethic based barring Gerrard.

CREDYGRECIAN

Lazy , not in a million years - his workrate is one of his biggest attributes IMO.

Of Course Liverpool mould there team around him , course you would he's a world class player capable of fantastic goals , match winning passes.

The problem England have is that they dont have a world class water carrying midfield like a Mascherano or Makele for example , hence why the Gerrard/Lampard debate rumbles on and on.

You pick your best players , Gerrard is Englands finest.

Also i wouldnt say Liverpools midfield is defensive , Mascherano apart but every team at the top level need a player of that type to compete

Last edited:

angelic upstart

If I picked an England team the first name on the teamsheet would be Rooney.

Then it would be Rio Ferdinand strangely....

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, mine too. Ferdinand is mint.

CREDYGRECIAN

On current form Ferdinand as much as i despise the bloke Ferdinand is one of the worlds best central defenders.

DB9

To win the first four games is quite an achievement, We now can look forward to the games in the new year with confidence

cityno1ledgend

i think we entered and a competion now we could be world class !