• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bad PR Email - Bucket Collection to pay for the Volunteers Xmas Party!

Thames Valley Red

I give up sometimes.....

The people that volunteer are great and precious to our club, but do they need a funded Xmas party? I would rather see us fund a new physio's table, new piece of equipment, or something to help develop the commercial side of the club, in order that we stop this handout and beg and borrow mentality that pervades around our club. It is about time the club was run in a more business like way. By all means have a party but make it a co-operative event, as per the true values of the supporters owned club.

When we formed the Trust we did it, based on different values, I for one do not want a free party for my volunteering hard earned cash to the 1931 club, Rib's away kit sponsorship and other things I do. That amounts to around £500 a year in support excluding my basic Trust subs. I dont want a medal, nor do I want to fund a free party.

Bad PR discuss!

I am assuming they will have a free party for the 1931ers and other worthy causes.

UTC

TVR

citizen

I read this e-mail this morning and cringed.UTC

Nik Saunders

I'm a volunteer for many a year and there has never been or ever will be a Christmas party for volunteers.

I've not seen this email but is it not for the Senior Christmas Party being put on by the Supporters Club and not the Trust?

Red Bill

I have to disagree TVR. You clearly make a fantastic personal annual contribution, almost three times what I put in. I run a charity and we rely heavily on volunteers so I'm aware that providing a small way to say thank you in the form of a christmas party is a good way to show people that their input is valued and that you're grateful. They are your staff whether paid or unpaid, and keeping your staff happy and feeling respected is just good business sense, people will work harder for you and stay more committed if they feel appreciated.

I don't want to put down your contribution in any way, but people like you and me and the hundreds of others who financially contribute more than the bare minimum, do it because we can afford it. Personally I regard the input of those who take part in the work parties or man the turnstiles (If they're volunteers) etc. with far greater respect than those who like me just put some money into the pot, which I regard as the easy way out.

If the money was coming straight out of the Trust coffers, I may have more sympathy with your view, but having a bucket collection allows those who feel like you to opt out and others who would like to show their gratitude to the volunteers to opt in.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just
I give up sometimes.....

The people that volunteer are great and precious to our club, but do they need a funded Xmas party? I would rather see us fund a new physio's table, new piece of equipment, or something to help develop the commercial side of the club, in order that we stop this handout and beg and borrow mentality that pervades around our club. It is about time the club was run in a more business like way. By all means have a party but make it a co-operative event, as per the true values of the supporters owned club.

When we formed the Trust we did it, based on different values, I for one do not want a free party for my volunteering hard earned cash to the 1931 club, Rib's away kit sponsorship and other things I do. That amounts to around £500 a year in support excluding my basic Trust subs. I dont want a medal, nor do I want to fund a free party.

Bad PR discuss!

I am assuming they will have a free party for the 1931ers and other worthy causes.

UTC

TVR
Al,

None of what you described is volunteering...the volunteers that get celebrated are the ones who give up time for work parties, cleaning up after matches etc.

If you want something from 1931 then you should contact al crockford.

Fareham Grecian

Great post Bill.

Thames Valley Red

Just

Al,

None of what you described is volunteering...the volunteers that get celebrated are the ones who give up time for work parties, cleaning up after matches etc.

If you want something from 1931 then you should contact al crockford.
For those in exile it is away of volunteering, anyway you miss my point. I don't want to have thanks for a contribution, nor should a real volunteer, I am sure some maybe embarrassed to accept. I thought they volunteered to enable funds to be added into the club. Before anyone twists the argument I think the work they do is great. I think this sits poorly with the original values of the Trust we created, nobody wanted thanks for their commitment, volunteering as I have done was pleasure enough. The feeling of mutual cooperation and kinship.

Let's have a collection for something tangible and not a begging bowl mentality, invest the Grimes money for the better of the club. No more comment from me on this thread, others have cringed as well, no more comment to make. Let us focus on 3 points today.

Utc

tVR

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I read this e-mail this morning and cringed.UTC
What email?

(this thread looks more interesting than the matchday one!)

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
What email?

(this thread looks more interesting than the matchday one!)
Surely you received one for volunteering all that information on goalkeepers...scandalous..Gillard out.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't always agree with TVR - in actual fact, more often than not I disagree vehemently with him - but on this occasion I have some sympathy with with where he's coming from.

I don't have any problem whatsoever with there being a party to celebrate the contribution made by those who voluntarily do so much for the Trust, but I couldn't help thinking today's email was rather ill-conceived.

I differ from Red Bill in that if the Trust board elected to spend, say, £500 on this party then I'd have no problem whatsoever with that. However, from a PR perspective I'd suggest it would have made much more sense for the Trust to have quietly got on and done that than to send out an email suggesting the volunteers' party is dependent on the bucket collection at the Bristol Rovers game.

Of course, I appreciate the net result is pretty much the same but, like Al, I think Trust members, not to mention the public at large, would have been more inclined to dig deep to pay for something which the Trust / club could not otherwise afford, than for a party which, one assumes, will take place regardless.