• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Argyles transfer speculation

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Argyle are so obssessed with becoming 'an establised championship side' they have delusions of grandeur regarding what players they can attract...truth is like Exeter its gonna be difficult.What young player from London or Manchester would want to move to Cornwall???very few methinks and as for the established journeyman pros ala Brevett,West and whoever else do Argyle want them?Re the rumours of Hutchison(pre season anyway)and persistently Robbie Fowler why on earth would any Argyle fan want them other than the fact their 'names'?

IJN

Christ, I almost agree with AU (except Plymouth is in Devon).

We have, like you, lots of thick idiots, (we do have more than you, I agree, bt only becasue we have a bigger fan base), who think big names are the answer.

I'd much rather have an exciting youngster in our team, than say a Robbie Fowler, with a sprinkling of seasoned pro's. The mix is the most important thing in any team.

As a slight aside, another reason why we will struggle to buy players, is that the wages in the CCC are still stupid.

It was widely reported on Saturday at Wolves, that the Wolves bench (5 players) paypackets, was larger (monetary wise) than the 11 Argyle players on the pitch.

NOt saying it's right, not saying it's wrong, but we are playing in a league where teams like Derby (30 million) Cardiff (40 million), Leicester (30 million) Sheff Wed (20 million) and Leeds (still 28 million) are massively in debt and still pay something like £7k per week as an average.

Another example is Leicester paid £200,000 for Gilbert from us, some of us (including me) thought he was crap,some thought he was good., but a team massively in debt did pay £200k at the start of the season.

He's now gone to Sheff Wed on a free transfer and we're only half way through the season. He played 5 games!!

Still, enough of serious talk, I must remember you haev people like Heathy and CBS who have the attention span of a retarded gnat.

angelic upstart

IJN
Re the Cornwall jibe it was actually a clever play on words....young player wouldnt wanna live in one of the many Plymouth slums thus would move to Cornwall and live somewhere daft like Looe as naturally he wouldn't wanna live somewhere normal in Devon...the question i pose to you is would prefer 20 million debt or relegation?

IJN

angelic upstart said:
IJN
...the question i pose to you is would prefer 20 million debt or relegation?
Neither is my answer.

But if it meant my club was under threat of extinction, like yours was two years ago, it's a no brainer isn't it.

I'd love to taste the big time like Leicester, Derby, Coventry, Sheff Wed and Leeds have, but I don't think it unlikely that one or two of the names will be gone in 5 years time.

It just needs a major club to go pop (not an Aldershot, Maidstone or Newport) and these clubs will realise what they have got themselves into.

We are small time, compared to the names above, but perhaps, just perhaps, we'll still be playing when Coventry (as an example) are just a memory.

I could go on and on about the wya football is being run, but just think about it,next year, Reading v Wigan will be a premiership fixture. Would you pay to see that????

LammieLammieLammie

If the price was right I would.

No less attractive than Wimbledon V Blackburn which I saw once.

angelic upstart

I'll be honest i cant wait til a 'big' club goes bust.If only the FA had the ******** to do something about it now rather than when it happens to one of the chosen few....I must admit Reading have made the premiership near enough on merit whilst Wigan haven't i look forward to seeing Reading V Charlton as there both well run clubs imho.

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
People forget Chelski were weeks from extinction when the Russian Mafia bought them, huge debts, thanks to Mr Bates (!) extravagent spending.

I too would love to see a team like Leeds go bust, but just imagine Chelsea or Manure going under....

angelic upstart

After all that they get lillian effin Nalis....just the 3 appearances this season and at 34 looks an excellent prospect.

wozzer

At least we have the money which enables us to have transfer speculation.

angelic upstart

Please wozzer....we have bought plenty of over the hill crap over the years.