• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Aren't we all delighted?

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Quite funny that a thread about how good Matt Taylor is has fragmented into a row about Lee Martin. But that's good even if we are doing well in the league there is always room for improvement, which is the attitude which Matt Taylor always follows. Sort the defence, sort the midfield, sort the attack and start again, well done Matt!

Love the way he tries tobring on our boys whenever possible (but do wonder what Matt Jay needs to do to get a game!)

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lee Martin was our player of the month for September.

Just dangling that out there.

IndoMike

So if he is doing all what you reckon in the first line how is he offering a goal threat when he always at least twenty yards away from the goal? Yesterday there were at least two if not three balls that went flying across the box in the first 15 minutes that had missed out Bowman attacking the near post where we should have had somebody coming in at the back post but Lee Martin was nowhere to be seen. It's simply where he should have been and if we had a proper striker playing that's where they would have been. We would have been two or three up inside 15 minutes and it would have been goodnight Vienna for Village Green Rovers. City can then relax and play some nice football instead of having to dig deep and play ugly and leave the opposition still in with a fighting chance. It's cost us against Crewe last week. It cost us against Newport. It cost us against Swindon. It cost us against Orient. Not putting teams to bed when we are dominating because we haven't got the bodies in the box because half of our strikeforce is playing twenty yards behind where he needs to be.
[/QUOTE
So what you're saying is that if we switched Martin for Matt Jay then Jay could do all the harrying in midfield that Martin does plus get into the box more often to snap up some chances. I'm sure that Matt Taylor has considered that, but feels overall that Martin is the best bet. Personally I wouldn't mind us trying that, but not sure if the end result would be better.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
So if he is doing all what you reckon in the first line how is he offering a goal threat when he always at least twenty yards away from the goal? Yesterday there were at least two if not three balls that went flying across the box in the first 15 minutes that had missed out Bowman attacking the near post where we should have had somebody coming in at the back post but Lee Martin was nowhere to be seen. It's simply where he should have been and if we had a proper striker playing that's where they would have been. We would have been two or three up inside 15 minutes and it would have been goodnight Vienna for Village Green Rovers. City can then relax and play some nice football instead of having to dig deep and play ugly and leave the opposition still in with a fighting chance. It's cost us against Crewe last week. It cost us against Newport. It cost us against Swindon. It cost us against Orient. Not putting teams to bed when we are dominating because we haven't got the bodies in the box because half of our strikeforce is playing twenty yards behind where he needs to be.
Four goals so far this season and he hasn't started every game, he has also missed a few chances, so in conclusion he is getting into good positions.

He also creates plenty of chances and works his socks off.

My conclusion = he isn't perfect, which league two player is ? however I think he's done quite well this season and the type of player he is could be one of the main reasons why we have been near the top of the league all season.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

I actually think if Ed is actually correct, but I still don't think he is, then Matt really needs to look at what he doing before barking about not putting teams away and we all better get used to living on our fingernails and ruing dropped points in a manner as per those I mentioned earlier because that is exactly what will happen for the majority of the season if we continue playing the way we are. We'll get blips like we did against Grimsby and we'll get spikes like we did at Carlisle but in the main we'll be clinging on to victories and bemoaning dropped points all for the sake of one positional change that will have little effect on the overall solidity of the side.
As for the last line of your post, how can the overall result not be any better if we score more goals out of it? We've blitzed most every side in the same manner as we did in the first 15 minutes yesterday. If we're actually putting chances away instead of not having anybody there to put the chances away, how can it be worse?

exeter-loyal

Four goals so far this season and he hasn't started every game, he has also missed a few chances, so in conclusion he is getting into good positions.

He also creates plenty of chances and works his socks off.
Totally agree, he's one of our best players in the team at the moment!

Last edited:

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I actually think if Ed is actually correct, but I still don't think he is, then Matt really needs to look at what he doing before barking about not putting teams away and we all better get used to living on our fingernails and ruing dropped points in a manner as per those I mentioned earlier because that is exactly what will happen for the majority of the season if we continue playing the way we are. We'll get blips like we did against Grimsby and we'll get spikes like we did at Carlisle but in the main we'll be clinging on to victories and bemoaning dropped points all for the sake of one positional change that will have little effect on the overall solidity of the side.
As for the last line of your post, how can the overall result not be any better if we score more goals out of it? We've blitzed most every side in the same manner as we did in the first 15 minutes yesterday. If we're actually putting chances away instead of not having anybody there to put the chances away, how can it be worse?
Later in the season a fit and firing Ajose may be the clinical cherry on the top we require however he isn't fit enough and I don't think Seymour is the answer yet.

Show me your preferred line up and formation.

Cheers.

IndoMike

Later in the season a fit and firing Ajose may be the clinical cherry on the top we require however he isn't fit enough and I don't think Seymour is the answer yet.

Show me your preferred line up and formation.

Cheers.
Then we get back to the conundrum of fitting Ajose into the side and having to drop a midfielder. And if Atangana plays too we'd have to drop a 2nd midfielder. Show me your team with Ajose and Atangana in the team

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
If Ajose plays Martin drops out, if Atangana plays Collins drops out, they would have to come in and perform well though, the formation is similar, the only difference is Ajose plays up with Bowman and not in the deeper free role Martin currently occupies.

Good competition for places.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Simple fact for you Stelios. Matt Taylor's biggest gripe is that we are not punishing teams by finishing off the amount of chances we are creating.
Matt Taylor is either a) only playing Bowman up front on his own (which is what your question is alluding to) or b) he's playing a wide midfielder in a strikers position (which is the more likely of the two especially at home). Either way, it's been like that since he dropped Nicky Ajose and it isn't doing anything to resolve his gripe.
Now to be fair to Taylor, I can understand why he might set up that way away from home if a is the answer but at home when we're pasting teams the way we are in the first twenty minutes it is criminal. All of this says the suggestion in your question is wrong and Taylor is continually shooting the side in the foot by not changing the personnel up front and it would have little or no effect on our defensive situation especially with Matt Jay as he as capable of putting a shift in as anybody in the club. More to the point, the best form of defence is attack and if we are putting our chances away it takes all the pressure of the defence anyway.
Nicky Law missed our two best chances yesterday aside from Bowman's goal. Matt Jay might have scored them.