• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Archibald Henville

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
The game he played against Notts County was painful to watch. Bet he couldn't believe his luck when Tis have him a ring. Sadly he's finished as a footballer

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
We should never of offered him a deal and the fact we was probably the only side to offer him a deal following leaving Carlisle says a lot about our scouting network

He's played 59 games in 7 seasons - that doesn't justify IMO a wage or contract at a club who pride itself on bringing youngsters through or competing on a budget

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
£1300 a week to play a handful of games each season, **** Turpin springs to mind.

IndoMike

You can't blame the player. A manager contacts him and says he'd like to bring him back and will be patient until he gets fit. The player of course will agree. We don't know what salary he is on : maybe it's 15-20k a year plus appearance money. Tis takes big gambles on seriously injured players so it can go wrong. I think he should avoid doing that since it only creates false optimism and consumes time, money, and a place in the squad for another player.

Last edited:

Angus

I did see someone sat Moxey is also a waste
Now this and the last season I've lost interest in watching City so excuse my ignorance but is Dean not playing regular football?

Number13

I did see someone sat Moxey is also a waste
Now this and the last season I've lost interest in watching City so excuse my ignorance but is Dean not playing regular football?
Yes he is, but by all accounts not particularly well, as we are playing him wide left where there are other options sat on the bench. We basically signed a senior left back when we had one (Woody) who by same accounts had a good year last year and is holding his place this year

My guess is that Moxey is on good money and if he weren't a club hero, would people have got excited about paying excellent wages to a 31 year old when we already have a player in his position. Answer = no

ps By the way, huge Moxey fan when he was here before and followed his career with interest especially the bit in the Prem but, as with TAH and to some extent Harley, its a signing of someone "easy" and "simple" when actually the wage would be better used elsewhere

hienzeECFC

Yes he is, but by all accounts not particularly well, as we are playing him wide left where there are other options sat on the bench. We basically signed a senior left back when we had one (Woody) who by same accounts had a good year last year and is holding his place this year

My guess is that Moxey is on good money and if he weren't a club hero, would people have got excited about paying excellent wages to a 31 year old when we already have a player in his position. Answer = no

ps By the way, huge Moxey fan when he was here before and followed his career with interest especially the bit in the Prem but, as with TAH and to some extent Harley, its a signing of someone "easy" and "simple" when actually the wage would be better used elsewhere
Tisdale has a habit of keeping a group of senior players around for a long period of time as the core of the team. My suspicion with Moxey is that he has been given three years because he is intended to be that core going forward, and it will mean moving on the likes of Harley, TAH, and probably losing one or more of JMT, Pym, etc.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see moxey given 2 more years after this contract because Tisdale will see his influence in the dressing room to be as important as his being a versatile option on the pitch.

Bit of a side note but I wonder how many teams in this division have as many people in and around the squad who were at the club 10 years ago?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
When Croll, and JMT were injured we played Moxey at centre half and left TAH on bench.
Which exactly backs up John W's point above - Tis likes to compartmentalise his CBs into left-sided and right-sided. Therefore JMT's back up is Croll, then either Moxey or Woodman. Brown's cover is either Troy or Sweeney. So if JMT is injured, the left-sided CB will be one of his back-ups rather than Troy/Sweeney.

I'm guessing he must be carrying another knock currently unless he has fallen so far down the pecking order as to be below a pair of untried youngsters lately. I agree with the majority though that it was a gamble that doesn't appear to have worked (although I thought he was excellent against Lincoln in midfield!).

Re: Moxey - I've only seen him (properly - the 8 seconds or so against Barnet don't count) in the Port Vale match where he had a total mare. Might be a better gauge tonight if he's playing.

IndoMike

Tisdale has a habit of keeping a group of senior players around for a long period of time as the core of the team. My suspicion with Moxey is that he has been given three years because he is intended to be that core going forward, and it will mean moving on the likes of Harley, TAH, and probably losing one or more of JMT, Pym, etc.
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see moxey given 2 more years after this contract because Tisdale will see his influence in the dressing room to be as important as his being a versatile option on the pitch.

Bit of a side note but I wonder how many teams in this division have as many people in and around the squad who were at the club 10 years ago?
This stuff about having a good influence in the dressing room : I can't imagine there are any bad apples. If the "good influence" in the dressing room is not reflected in the results, it has no meaning. Since Moxey came into the team and the McA / Reid partnership was broken up has coincided with a mediocre run of form. Let's call a spade a spade.

KWSGrecian

TAH has been utterly useless since I've see him. His performance v Notts Country was akin to that of a 10 year old, the lad didn't look like he wanted to touch the ball at any point and when he did he booted it out 50% of the time. Don't see the need for him as a back up when we've got enough players in that position, surely tying down Troy would be a better move? Brown is League 1 quality IMO and his contract probably deserves to reflect that.