• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Any more news on Brazil?

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Okay, new to this thread, as no realistic chance of me going to Brazil.

Am I right in saying we initially approached the Brazilian national team for a commemorative fixture?

Then when they said no, we approached the club who play at the stadium which hosted the game 100 years ago?

They said yes, except that they already have a home fixture that weekend?

A board member then flew out to Brazil and lo, we have a hastily arranged Sunday fixture against the reserves or whatever?

No-one knows who is paying to send our squad and assorted hangers on to Brazil and accommodate them, etc..?

That none of this is tied in with the World Cup build up? Although some lower non-league club have casually arranged a fixture over there that is a part of the World Cup bandwagon?

That whilst all this has been going we we've shown our highly rated assistant manager the door. Said legend now has the Tranmere hot seat and has already snaffled two of our squad?

I'm sure those going will enjoy the sun, the girls, the beer etc before watching Coles et al get hammered by their youth team or whatever, and yes I'm a little jealous. But seriously, we are like beggars at the banquet of some wealthy guy we once went to school with, grateful for any little scrap of food he might throw us. When the national team said no, we should have swallowed our pride and walked away.

Once again: who is paying for all of this?
They're never going to tell you...it will all disappear into general expenditure....

IndoMike

They're never going to tell you...it will all disappear into general expenditure....
Did the club actually categorically state the trip would be funded by the Brazilians and by sponsors and not by the club itself?

Barum

Did the club actually categorically state the trip would be funded by the Brazilians and by sponsors and not by the club itself?
Yes, I believe so.... On the original announcement last July.

malcolms

It was a "non cost" trip to the club....costs were to be carried by the Brazilian hosts and associated sponsorship....

IndoMike

How much are we talking about here : 40-60 grand?

David Treharne

This somehow reminds me of the old joke about projects which go through the following stages:

1.Enthusiasm

2.Dissillusionment

3.Panic

4.Search for the guilty

5.Punishment of the innocent

6.Praise and honours for the non-participants

...and I'm sort of wondering which phase the whole trip is in at the moment.....

Ian_Woodward

Can't wait for lashings of Humble Pie to be offered on these boards from all the old miserablists.
Yum yum!
Don't think you'll find many on here who didn't want the game to take place (PeteUSA aside). Majority just not impressed with how it's been handled.

malcolms

How much are we talking about here : 40-60 grand?
Well it's a drag of a trip, I've done it a few times and it's not gonna be fun in economy class...I can't imagine the club can contemplate anything other than economy and and on that basis a party of 20 would cost at least £40k.....if it's in business then the cost could double or triple...

IndoMike

Presumably if someone in England has sponsored this trip, they would want some kind of publicity for doing so. If Flum has sponsored the trip then they would want some sponsorship, too, unless the crowd itself is big enough to pay all the costs.

Bittners a Legend

If the costs aren't being covered then I suggest our "Exeter City XI" comprises those who have paid for a package and fancy a game.

I'm relieved for those who have paid the cash but this whole thing is an embarrassment that was wasted a lot of time and subsequently cost money.

Despite what the likes of flakey have to say I'd suggest this appointment, coming now, proves that those who doubted the game was actually arranged and on ten months ago were correct.

The game should have been played against a team of former Brazilian stars, at the Maracana and for a Brazilian street charity. That would have attracted far more interest and sponsorship than what we are going to have now.

I just hope to God the only money we have lost is the time wasted on this and not on financing the trip itself out there.

When will we be hearing about the other fixtures promised months ago? This is after all part of our pre-season...