• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Anti-Tisdale?

Tony Wizzz

In the Flybe (not in a suit) and having a beer and
I remember the criticism after Northwich away...shocking

If we go on a losing streak we would be wise to remember the following:

We can't afford a Jack Lester or Andy Bishop (£3K per week!), nor are we busting our budget and gambling on promotion like Brentford to achieve promotion. We are not £12 million in debt like Gillingham, or on the verge of administration like Vale or on the verge of going bust like Darlo. We are not paying £1.2 million a year to rent a ground like Bradford. We have been back in the league for six months, and our club is pretty much the envy of the League

I prefer the studious approach to the tea-cup throwing manager who appears to have so much "pash" for the club. So many managers at this level just do the rounds from club-to-club. I think we are lucky to have a forward thinking man who can work with the board to push the club upwards and not one who throws his toys out of the pram and has a ready made excuse because he can't bring in a big money signing.

We are in great shape and on the verge of a golden period and Tis was the final piece in the jigsaw.
Wot he said[y]

UTC[ecfc]

Lager Lout

Well-known Exeweb poster
I didn't like him at first. I didn't like the way he stood on the touch-line, arms folded and seemingly doing very little when we are behind, apart from some bizarre tactical substitutions.

Nowadays I don't like the way he stands on the touch-line, arms folded and seemingly doing very little when we are behind, apart from some bizarre tactical substitutions...and I think he's brilliant.

2nd only to TC.

LL

eurogrecian

Must be the first use of the word laconic on Exeweb.
Luckily not...
http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2065&highlight=laconic

TimG

I have not been on here all that long so u will have to take my word that i have always backed tis and hopefully always will. As many i was a bit skeptical when he was apointed but i just accepted it and gave my 100% support to the new man. Ever since then there has not been a doubt in my mind that tis is proberly one of the very best we have ever had if not the best. He has taken his time about it like any methodical builder of a team. I can only hope that we dont lose him to a highder club!

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Looking at this video indicates we won something
http://s232.photobucket.com/albums/ee189/ecfc1960/?action=view&current=P5180041_NEW.flv

(actually this response is just an opportunity to have another look at that moment!)
Good shout, but I have always felt it was a tad perverse to award a trophy to the play off winners, grateful as I was to be going up and yes I cheered the lifting of the F.A.Cup ( c. Lammie ).

radiogrecian

Fans like TVR and Radio G care so pash about the club, and i "feel for them" (not in a condescending way) that they missed out on what Tis was building in 2006/07.
LLL, no need to feel for me mate. I don't feel like I missed out at all.

I just felt at the time that he was making a lot of questionable decisions - things that just didnt seem to make sense. Why drop player A when he has scored five times in six games, why susbstitute player B when he's clearly the best player on the pitch and showing no signs of tiring, why stand back and look like you don't give a sh*t when the team is 4-1 down at club C? Just imagine how good we could have been if he'd seen things MY way ;)

However, I have already admitted on these boards and elsewhere that I was wrong. I do still disagree with a lot of his decisions. But you just cannot argue with his success. He obviously knows a lot more about football than me, and that's why he's a manager, and i work on the radio....

Paul Tisdale is a very good manager. I didn't like his style, I'm still not his biggest fan, but his achievements have been bloody brilliant.

UTC

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
When the appointment was made I didnt feel we had appointed someone who had sufficient experience to get us promoted, but mainly down to his success with Team Bath, I was determined to give him at least a year before I made any judgement of the sort. I didnt need a year, the first 2-3 games were enough for me - we had abandoned the hoof and hope principles and played proper football. From those opening games I felt convinced we had the right man.

Over the last two years, Tis has had us playing football of a quality rarely seen by Exeter City and have totally and utterly dismantled several teams with L1/Championship standard football. He has occasionally made decisions that have baffled me, that I haven't agreed with, but he is quick to accept when he got things wrong and is one of the only managers I know who openly does this. He is also very astute in learning from when things go wrong and we dont often make the same mistake more than once.

spodman

Tis gets things wrong and thank heavens he does! Otherwise he would have been gone a long time ago to bigger and better things.

I get frustrated when he doesn't pick my preferred 11 and moan like hell (to myself) when we then don't get the result I feel we would have got if he'd picked my team. But more often than not his selections and decisions are proved correct. Long may it continue!

Last edited:

cityfan13

He's definately won me over, I was one of the ones who wanted Jimmy Quinn as manager!!!

Even if we got relegated next season, you will never hear me utter the words '' Tisdale Out '' as that's how much i rate him as a manager. I'm going to be absolutely gutted when he leaves as i feel as soon as he does, it's all downhill from there.

He puts the club stability first and still gets results. Enough said.