• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Another proud day for the academy

Feel sure I saw Dennis Violet play against City in the 1960 League Cup game at SJP for Manchester United. Also seem to remember Harry Gregg in goal and ex City player Maurice Setters in their team. The first of my 3 United's at SJP.

Nigel E

Feel sure I saw Dennis Violet play against City in the 1960 League Cup game at SJP for Manchester United. Also seem to remember Harry Gregg in goal and ex City player Maurice Setters in their team. The first of my 3 United's at SJP.
Correct on all counts. Full line-up and report here:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Heading towards/will we make it to 500? I think there's been 68 first team games since then (December 2022) in all competitions, all with at least one academy graduate starting. Is it about 8 years for this record?
Anyone have any idea what the number of consecutive games with an academy starter is at now? Tuesday could of course see the end of the run as Sonny now looks very unlikely to start and Alex looked like he was given his swansong today? Can't see Kite or Chieck starting either so unless young Richards is given a start or Alex retains his position it's all over sadly

Bridgy 81

It’s an absolutely fantastic run and a brilliant achievement.
But, although our sustainability is largely dependent on our academy players, we shouldn’t be sidelined by that record.
Let’s do everything we can to protect and promote our academy but our L1 survival is important too.

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Of course, Harry Kite might be getting the Hartridge treatment and start on Tuesday, and be made captain and retired next Saturday...

Pobbop

It’s an absolutely fantastic run and a brilliant achievement.
But, although our sustainability is largely dependent on our academy players, we shouldn’t be sidelined by that record.
Let’s do everything we can to protect and promote our academy but our L1 survival is important too.
The 2 aren't really an exclusive item though, they're entirely co-dependent, lg1 one survival will always be based on our transfer activity, with the yoof and otherwise.

tom_ecfc

Anyone have any idea what the number of consecutive games with an academy starter is at now?
I believe it currently stands at 475 games.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
The 2 aren't really an exclusive item though, they're entirely co-dependent, lg1 one survival will always be based on our transfer activity, with the yoof and otherwise.
I think the opposite, the accounts still show we are very much reliant on these players playing and making us money for the transfer activity you talk of

ExmouthMart

I think the opposite, the accounts still show we are very much reliant on these players playing and making us money for the transfer activity you talk of
Agreed. We are completely reliant on selling players for financing everything. Nothing else comes anywhere near generating that sort of income. It’s all great at the moment but further down the line there will be a problem finding the money for this level of football and the costs it brings if we don’t unearth and develop players going forward or we dont sign players and sell them on for profit.

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe it currently stands at 475 games.
Wonder what the figure is for Man Utd who apparently have copied our idea of playing Academy players ..........