• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

And it's goodbye from me... anyone want an ECFC website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
Typical of Exeweb these days. Comes on here, worrying us all, and then won't log on for days. ;)

ECFC Nursey!

RIP to City's number nine. Sleep tight love
congrats steve! I do hope that someone takes this on and does such a good job as you have
I have met many good friends as a result of this site and hope someone will take it on
Its a great place to banter, chat and meet new people
Its a part of alot of our lives - I can fully understand why you have made this decision but hope you will still log in and think ' god, that would never have happened in my day ' lol!

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I really really am stuck for words. My sentiments are torn. On the one hand, obviously, I'm so pleased for you and wish you all the best. And anything thereafter can only be selfish.
Dilemma.
One thing I like to do is to look at opposing fans forums. See how they perceive us. See what they thought of the match. Just one of those things.
But as a relative newcomer to Exeweb and fans forums in general, it's taught me one thing. Despite the arguments, despite the WUMs, despite the argy bargy, Exeweb is head and shoulders above any other fan forum. That was true in League 2, and it's proved true thus far in League 1.
And I just feel so sad that there is a chance it will all evaporate. Slim, you'd hope. But a chance nonetheless.
What you have created, steered and commanded is something quite exceptional. Any other option will, naturally, be seen with doubt.
Compromise, Steve, there has to be a compromise... :(

haka

Just want to add my congratulations, and thanks, Steve.

Exeweb is more than just another internet forum. It's no exaggeration to say that it played a very important role in saving Exeter City. A lot of people worked hard to save our club, and they were able to organise and communicate, with each other and with the wider Grecian community, through Exeweb. A handful of people became a group, the group became the club, the club became a success. We probably take that for granted now - but a quick look around at the fate of so many other clubs, just shows us it could have been very different.

And for those of us who don't live in the Exeter area, Exeweb was a lifeline. So thanks again, Steve and good luck.

haka

And here's a little nostalgia: Exeweb, nine years ago

http://web.archive.org/web/20001021123411/www.ecfc.co.uk/cgi-bin/teemz/teemz.cgi

(note: only some of the links will work)

I think it was about this time when people started complaining Exeweb wasn't as good as it used to be ... :)

What was wrong with Exeweb 2000? Easy to navigate..none of this 'social networking nonsense'. ;) However, in any format, the site is invaluable to Exiles in order to stay on the pulse of all things City. I am very grateful to all involved past, present and future..

exeweb

Administrator
Steve, two questions: how much work is actually involved in the day to day running of the site, and does it still cost you money to keep it running?
Guys,

I'm genuinely humbled by some of the comments on here. Thank you. I think the site's success has - by and large - been down to the club's unique and geographically spread fan base. The site was set up for exactly the same reason that you all visit it today - I wanted somewhere to talk about Exeter City.

To answer Swanaldo's questions, the hosting of the website currently costs me £35 a month. It should cost double that, but thanks to the work Juggling Monkey did on the site we have "an arrangement". There will be cheaper site hosts, but this one has proved reliable and exeweb also hosts the Trust site and membership database, the Junior Reds and the Ladies' team.

There is an annual fee for the license to use the vBulletin forum software. There is a new version of this due soon which has a license fee of US$195. For less than 50 dollars more you can get a full publishing suite which would make someone able to run content alongside the forum. I think the new fees are one-offs rather than annual.

Domain names are somewhere in the region of £10 a year.

What you need to bear in mind though is time. In terms of my own personal involvement, the site has become a victim of its (and ECFC's) own success. I used to read everything that was posted on here. As the site has grown, I have taken on a small band of (largely underrated) moderators who have enabled me to keep the site running. But we can't look at everything. In the last month there have been c.15,000 posts on this website, which is why a certain amount of self-regulation has always been very important for exeweb.com.

With regards to the suggestions here that the Trust should "rescue" exeweb - I don't think that's a good idea. One of the things that has made exeweb so successful is the fact that it is totally independent - independent from the club, the Trust, the Supporters Club, whatever. This is one of the unique things about exeweb. There is no editorial line. On exeweb, no-one is above criticism. For that reason, I don't think the Trust should have a say in the site. It may be a vain hope, but that's my opinion. Not that I want that to be a comment about the Trust or those involved - I just think that we need to have an outlet should we ever want to comment (positively or negatively) about the Trust.

Now back to work...

chrisnaan

Could we not create an exeweb trust that could own and run the site. If the exeweb trust had just 35 members paying £1 a month it could cover the hosting fee. I'm wouldn't mind betting you would get a lot more than 35 people to sign up to something like this. You already have a collection of moderators, these could become the "exeweb trust board". If the exeweb trust had a surplus after hosting fees this could be put towards the exeweb player sponsorships.

Is this feasible or just plain stupid?

chrisnaan

Oh and congratulations on the news of your "morris minor" on the way.

Gozzer

Could we not create an exeweb trust that could own and run the site. If the exeweb trust had just 35 members paying £1 a month it could cover the hosting fee. I'm wouldn't mind betting you would get a lot more than 35 people to sign up to something like this. You already have a collection of moderators, these could become the "exeweb trust board". If the exeweb trust had a surplus after hosting fees this could be put towards the exeweb player sponsorships.

Is this feasible or just plain stupid?
Sounds like a pretty good idea to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.