• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

AFC Diamonds/AFC Wimbledon

DevonDiamond

Good day for the phoenix clubs today folks - AFC Wimbledon back in the league probably brings a smile to many fancies, it certainly did mine (2 ex Diamonds scoring their goals today).

My AFC Diamonds also played their first match today, U18's v Raunds reserves at the ground we will be sharing this season - I reckon just shy of 300 there to watch it, pretty good turnout I'd say.

I know phoenix clubs seem to be the fad of the moment, but I can assure you it can happen to anyone, and it is actually a positive feeling now looking forward. With Wrexham in trouble, others could be following an increasingly well trodden path...Plymouth?

Oh, and the FA have a new rule now that any Phoenix club cannot start above a certain level - ie, at least below Souther League level. Could be an irritant for bigger clubs in the future.

##URL REMOVED##/2011/08/afc-diamonds-play-first-match.html

**** Sorry! Web links not allowed for new users ****
This is an effort to combat spam postings. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Mackster

Having lived in a phoenix town for 10 years I wish you luck. The mighty Stones were the last league club to be liquidated from the Football League (Argyle could still be the next) and it has been a struggle. There are a lot of similiarities between the Diamonds & Stones, unlike AFC Wimbledon, they've never had a big enough fanbase, and unlike Aldershot they don't have their own ground, so it has been difficult to make the same rise through the leagues.

Having to play 15 miles away from home means average crowds have been between 3/400. The Stones have had some fun along the way with several promotions, but never managed to rise above the Ryman. Interestingly I heard Terry Brown on the radio who said the Ryman was the hardest league to get out when he managed Aldershot and now AFC Wimbledon.

Things could at last beginning to turn Stone's way, new owners have taken over and work is now beginning on their town centre ground some 20 years after they left. So DD, what league and where are Diamonds looking to play? I'm guessign a tenant of Nene Park would be the most likely option?

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
So DD, what league and where are Diamonds looking to play? I'm guessign a tenant of Nene Park would be the most likely option?
Too much irony, shirley?

DevonDiamond

Having lived in a phoenix town for 10 years I wish you luck. The mighty Stones were the last league club to be liquidated from the Football League (Argyle could still be the next) and it has been a struggle. There are a lot of similiarities between the Diamonds & Stones, unlike AFC Wimbledon, they've never had a big enough fanbase, and unlike Aldershot they don't have their own ground, so it has been difficult to make the same rise through the leagues.

Having to play 15 miles away from home means average crowds have been between 3/400. The Stones have had some fun along the way with several promotions, but never managed to rise above the Ryman. Interestingly I heard Terry Brown on the radio who said the Ryman was the hardest league to get out when he managed Aldershot and now AFC Wimbledon.

Things could at last beginning to turn Stone's way, new owners have taken over and work is now beginning on their town centre ground some 20 years after they left. So DD, what league and where are Diamonds looking to play? I'm guessign a tenant of Nene Park would be the most likely option?
United Counties Premier - if we are accepted, otherwise UCL first division. Realistically, I think getting back to the Southern Premier would be a tremednous achievement, beyond that is too much to dream about at the moment.

Nene Park is pulluted by the 25-year lease our former chairman just signed with Kettering, so we're currently a nice little, park-style ground with one stand and a clubhouse. Could tap into some funds to develop it, some talk of a ground in Rushden in the future but thats more of a pipe dream. If we ever did get back anywhere, I think we'd have to go with a Histon-style ground.

I think our fanbase was OK, we certainly stood up in terms of attendance to be conference level, but fans were getting priced out. We failed because our chairman never utilised the facilities properly, and our trust messed up...exactly where trust appears not to have done!