• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Adam Stansfield 1978-2010

Ashford Grecian

Couldn't bear to look on the forum or post until now, still have floods of tears over this awful news... RIP Adam you will always be Citys No. 9

nathanj

Last edited:

Mackster

Stanno had the same operation in the same week as my father-in-law. My father-in-law passed away two months ago. He rallied after the operation but soon the cancer took hold again, and when he finally passed away initially there was relief because the pain was at an end. You always clutch at the smallest of straws and in some way I hoped the torch had been passed to Stanno. Sadly this is the most unforgiving of diseases, and when you think its done its worst, it will come back and haunt you again.

I think a Testamonial for Stanno with all proceeds going to the Bowel Cancer Charity would be the best way to honour him and leave a lasting legacy towards the battle against the disease. You can't do much for those that have departed, but you can carry on fighting for those that still continue to be afflicted with it.

For those requesting postponment of fixtures, training etc, I ask you what would have Stanno wanted? This is the question you always ask when you are feeling down when you have lost someone to cancer. The answer is you carry on, we all know Stanno would have wanted us to, in fact I could imagine him being quite embarassed if a fixture was called off on his behalf.

He made such a huge impact in his short life and let us take comfort in the fact that Adam left us fully knowing how much he was loved by his family, friends and everyone at Exeter City, Yeovil, Hereford etc. Not too many people are able to say that.

SDRighton

Very sad news. My thoughts are obviously with his family.

I never met Adam, but I remember seeing him interviewed by Kirky a few months ago, before the diagnosis. His charming, warm and positive character really shone through in that brief interview, and it was a pleasure to watch.

Tom

milts

RIP Stanno. Thanks for all the great memories, thoughts with your family.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stanno had the same operation in the same week as my father-in-law. My father-in-law passed away two months ago. He rallied after the operation but soon the cancer took hold again, and when he finally passed away initially there was relief because the pain was at an end. You always clutch at the smallest of straws and in some way I hoped the torch had been passed to Stanno. Sadly this is the most unforgiving of diseases, and when you think its done its worst, it will come back and haunt you again.

I think a Testamonial for Stanno with all proceeds going to the Bowel Cancer Charity would be the best way to honour him and leave a lasting legacy towards the battle against the disease. You can't do much for those that have departed, but you can carry on fighting for those that still continue to be afflicted with it.

For those requesting postponment of fixtures, training etc, I ask you what would have Stanno wanted? This is the question you always ask when you are feeling down when you have lost someone to cancer. The answer is you carry on, we all know Stanno would have wanted us to, in fact I could imagine him being quite embarassed if a fixture was called off on his behalf.

He made such a huge impact in his short life and let us take comfort in the fact that Adam left us fully knowing how much he was loved by his family, friends and everyone at Exeter City, Yeovil, Hereford etc. Not too many people are able to say that.
Well said. I echo this. You have to remember Stanno didn't want a fuss made and refused to allow the players to wear shirts with his name on when he was diagnosed with it.

The man is a legend, simple as that.

BillinghamPoolie

RIP.

Far too young.

As a Hartlepool fan I know what it is like to lose one of your players.

My deepest condolences go to the Stansfield family and all connected with ECFC.

rebecca

Whilst I agree a testamonial is a great idea I do think we should consider proceeds going to his family. After all, he leaves his wife and kids behind and they should have all the help we can give them.

eddie_hitler

RIP Stanno!!

Never knew you personally, but one thing brought us together...Exeter City.

Looking at the tributes made and will be continually made shows that you are a true legend.

My thought go to your family and friends at this sad time.

Cherry Red

Just read the sad news about Adam on the BBC website.

Read the 'Adam Stansfield Remembered' page as well; a fitting tribute to a great pro, obviously loved by the fans of the clubs he played for and a sad, sad loss to football.

I remember him running his socks off up front for you when you last played here at Bournemouth - a whole hearted player who gave everything for the team.

Condolences to the Stansfield family & you, the fans at Exeter City

Cherry Red