• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Adam Stansfield 1978-2010

Westlands2011

Hi chaps..Romford (Ryman League) fan here. Saw Adam play a few times for Yeovil and will always remember his performance and goal for the Glovers in the 2002 FA Trophy final.
I was aware of his illness and hoped that he would recover, but having just seen the sad news on the BBC website and must admit it really upset me.
RIP and heart felt condolences to his family and friends.

mammooman

Goodbye Adam, and thank you. Can only but echo the comments already made from fans of ECFC and further afield.

first and only time i've ever been so upset by a footballer's death that i've cried. i could not possibly ever give a fitting tribute to the legend but i would like to say i've always been a huge fan of the player and person. i'm truly devastated by the news and can only extend my condolences to his close friends and family. CITY LEGEND! AND LEGEND FULL STOP! rip stanno. complete hero

davidjenkin

Well-known Exeweb poster
Backing our manager like I always have. Geddon Tis
I've been in tears this evening, its hit me hard like it has hit us all hard. Whether it was the shock, the fact I just assumed he would recover, the sadness, or probably all three combined I don't know, but I've been frozen numb.

When Hayden had his hospitality at the pre-season Millwall game, he had his picture taken with some of the players, one of whom was Adam, who introduced his kids and posed for loads of pics taken by loads of people. He looked quite humbled when I told Hayden that this man was a legend at Exeter City. He was such a decent bloke and left a lasting impression on Hayden's family who'll admit they otherwise don't know the first thing about ECFC.

As a player, I was always a huge Stanno fan. I'd have riled many on exeweb due to my steadfast determination that I wouldn't hear a word against him. As a fan, I've always wanted a player to try as hard as I would if I were fit enough to wear the shirt, Stanno ran his heart out for this club and was probably the hardest-working footballer I'll ever see, at any level, he just never, ever stopped. I'll be going to the park probably some time tomorrow afternoon to pay my respects. I just can't believe I'm writing words like this and having to refer to Adam in the past tense.

It's left a sickening feeling, and ploughed a huge hole into the side of this football club. I hope the Daggers game is pulled, just for the players, they need time too, it would be nice for them to have the home backing when they next run out.

RIP Stanno, and thanks for all that you did for this football club. You epitomised Exeter City so much you should be a part of the club's crest! I support the shirt retirement for this season at the very least

Look after Hayden for me mate

Ian_Woodward

I am absolutely gutted like everyone, always happens to the wrong people. Rest In Peace Stanno

I've been in tears this evening, its hit me hard like it has hit us all hard. Whether it was the shock, the fact I just assumed he would recover, the sadness, or probably all three combined I don't know, but I've been frozen numb.

When Hayden had his hospitality at the pre-season Millwall game, he had his picture taken with some of the players, one of whom was Adam, who introduced his kids and posed for loads of pics taken by loads of people. He looked quite humbled when I told Hayden that this man was a legend at Exeter City. He was such a decent bloke and left a lasting impression on Hayden's family who'll admit they otherwise don't know the first thing about ECFC.

As a player, I was always a huge Stanno fan. I'd have riled many on exeweb due to my steadfast determination that I wouldn't hear a word against him. As a fan, I've always wanted a player to try as hard as I would if I were fit enough to wear the shirt, Stanno ran his heart out for this club and was probably the hardest-working footballer I'll ever see, at any level, he just never, ever stopped. I'll be going to the park probably some time tomorrow afternoon to pay my respects. I just can't believe I'm writing words like this and having to refer to Adam in the past tense.

It's left a sickening feeling, and ploughed a huge hole into the side of this football club. I hope the Daggers game is pulled, just for the players, they need time too, it would be nice for them to have the home backing when they next run out.

RIP Stanno, and thanks for all that you did for this football club. You epitomised Exeter City so much you should be a part of the club's crest! I support the shirt retirement for this season at the very least

Look after Hayden for me mate
i didn't want to cut down any of this quote. a 95 minute "one adam stansfield" chant is required at the very least at whatever our next home game is

jimboecfc

R.I.P Stanno

Whitefriar

I was just about to go to bed and checked the Hereford United Bullsnews site just to see the write-up on our 3-0 nil loss this evening.

Was utterly shocked to read that Adam has passed away, so much so that I registered here tonight to give my deepest sympathy to his friends and familly. He was a great player for Hereford United and always gave 100%, was gutted that he left after he helped us back into the football league but glad he did it again for Exeter.

He will always have a place in the hearts of YTFC, HUFC and ECFC.

RIP ADAM

//unofficialbulls.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=21047

hibs fan

from every hibs fan up in Scotland our condolences to his loved ones and family at this hard time. Terrible news to all football fans across the world i'm sure. RIP Adam Stansfield. Also good luck to Exeter City Football club for the season ahead, i'm sure he'll still be here for you.

Frisky

To all Family, Friends and Exeter Fans alike,

My condolences go out to you all on such a tragic loss. Im a West Ham fan living in Ireland who follows football religiously and as such, the name Adam Stansfield (made famous by Jeff Stelling in my part of the world) was always one that I watched weekly. Words cannot say anything now to be honest.

Grecians Fans - Please Please do your best to celebrate his life and career at you next game. He deserves the final respect that he supplied to your club while he could.

Adam Stansfield R.I.P