• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A view from the Wednesday

citizen33

It wasn't Northampton and it is hard to think of a worse lapse of memory. The side we beat at Plainmoor in a second replay, with a goal in the dying seconds of extra time, was Plymouth Argyle. I said only a couple of weeks ago that that game has got to rank with the recent cup win at Home Park for one of the most satisfying finishes of a local derby. The scorer was John Kirkham. Then we faced Wednesday. Two games that will always stick in my mind - though obviously the second one was a much better spectacle. At Plainmoor my long-dead cousin, who had driven down was twisting my arm to leave before the end but I stood firm and we both ended up very happy.

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
C33....bang on the money there mate [y]

But not too far out there budey

I think the Cobbler's tie was R2 in the FAC the following season...a win - at Swindon for the second replay IIRC would have (somewhat ironically) pitched us at home against ManUre for the second season running. Perhaps thankfully we lost for R3 was that famous game when Northampton lost 1-8...Besty scoring 6 of them

Last edited:

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
sorry, ignore me, didn't read article properly

Last edited:

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Thanks, enjoyed the read. My favourite line, of course, is: The Owls have never won at SJP. Long may that tradition continue ... ;)