• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A honest question for the Tisdale Out Brigade

Backing Tisdale now, more than ever. He is doing a
Peter Reid? Don't make me laugh. Who mentioned Mad Dog? No thank you. Mr Tisdale will take some bettering, with the resources available down here.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
RE: an ex-prem player coming down, investing and being manager... Its not so much that its a bad idea, just that there's not much we can do to make it happen beyond sitting around and seeing if it does. Would be nice though. I suppose we can ring around asking players if they fancy the opportunity, but I'm not sure if it'd bare much fruit. Anyone who would fancy doing that would probably already be aware that it would be possible.

Grecian_Jay

Very well known Exeweb poster
Robbie Fowler and Steve McManaman are bothlooking for management jobs lower down the pyramid. They are also both multi millionaires and very astute businessmen (or at least get very good advice).

I'm not for one minute saying they would be interested though.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Peter Reid: Given time and an even break. The fact that he knows people high up in the trade could prove useful.

Might even settle a few bills for us.
Funniest post in a while!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Not sure I buy into the idea that how good a manager is is directly reflected in how good the team is. Obviously this is the only way its possible to judge, but this is also why you have to take a long term view. I'm not happy with how we're doing at the moment, but I'm not sure Tis has really changed that much. Sometimes things go for you, sometimes not. Maybe he has lost interest, but I don't think so... I just don't think things are going as well as they once were. In my book, you have to reassess his previous results in the context of the last 3 years, but also bear in mind the early success when judging him now. I'm bored of the club at the moment in all honesty, but I'm not sure this is a good enough reason to shake things up.
Years one and two of tisdale had some great times that I will always remember but whether it was tisdale,ingelthorpe or someone else the pressure was on to get into the league where we belong IMO. Years three to five were successful progression and that is where it went wrong.

Now there has been much talk of cycles and with jones,Taylor,Harley and cureton leaving I don't believe we should have expected to challenge for promotion to the championship but consolidation in league one was a realistic aim. We had average gate of 5300 so the budget should have been much higher than now. I'm sure it was lower half of league one but the wages of the four players listed above should have been available to start the rebuilding as it wasn't a shock that these players didn't want to stay.

Tisdale brought in Danny Coles, Billy Jones,Guillem Bauza, Lenny Pidgeley and didn't replace Cureton so we made do with a series of unsuccessful loan forwards who didn't work(bignall, vine, whichelo, jake Taylor). There were problems with injury but we rallied in the autumn and again early in new year to get out of the drop zone a couple of times but still fell back mainly because an awful away run was never going to be enough to supplement a mixed home record.

Net result of relegation was average crowd 4500 plus lost income for being in lower league, and players such as Duffy,Troy, dunne and nardiello didn't want to stay. Tisdale seemed to decide to fix the away form which was successful but the home form got worse so another drop in crowds and so cureton leaves again after coming back and we can't afford to keep amankwaah and so the cycle continues. So in my view the money shortages now are partly of Tisdale's own making. In this time we have had monies for Troy,dunne,golbourne as well as Liverpool in the cup.

So now we are averaging less than 4000 and recent gates are pointing towards a drop towards 3500 if home results don't improve. A bright spot is the introduction of younger players into the team so to save things he needs to get a quick improvement at home so we can afford to keep these players long enough to get best value out of them. Because I don't think he is going anywhere I hope this happens and if we do get the lost fans back that we can consolidate next time.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Now there has been much talk of cycles and with jones,Taylor,Harley and cureton leaving I don't believe we should have expected to challenge for promotion to the championship but consolidation in league one was a realistic aim. We had average gate of 5300 so the budget should have been much higher than now. I'm sure it was lower half of league one but the wages of the four players listed above should have been available to start the rebuilding as it wasn't a shock that these players didn't want to stay.
Try bottom of League One and only 18th in League Two.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah, I know the history... its 8 or so years littered with successes and failures. I just don't buy into the idea that he was good, now he's bad... The way things work, as I see it, is that when things are going well, its easier and when things are going badly, its tougher, so it tends to work out that a lot of the good happens together and a lot of the bad happens together. The guy who found a load of good players from nowhere and got us a double promotion is the same guy who brought in Rohan Ricketts and never played him, got us relegated and served up a year and a half of dross at home. It makes more sense to judge the whole lot together than to look for a point where he had some kind of meltdown and lost his managerial abilities... That's my opinion anyway. Maybe I'm wrong and at some point he lost some hunger or something, I don't know. I just don't see it that way.

Grecian_Jay

Come on Jason, proof required for this.

Last edited:

GRECIANS1904

Let's get Terry Cooper back in an advisory role the man who went a whole season unbeaten at home and the man who can't win at home. Let's face it most teams come to SJP knowing 1 goal they will leave with a point 2 goals thee almost guaranteed all 3. Last match I saw (Burton) made me cringe seeing 11 people defending a corner at HOME. How many shots on goal do we average the football is poor and Tis should leave

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Do you have a source for that? Will admit I don't have one for my opinion but we were competitive for two years in the division. If we truly are that low in league two would bet that half of the ones above at least aren't a huge chasm above us.