• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A cold wind of change is blowing...

jr1871

Some interesting threads currently running. Firstly, and I hope you don't mind me being critical here Rae, but I thought your thread was a little dis-ingenuous. I respect, and like reading the vast majority of your posts, but your op struck me as a 'drum banging' exercise. Of course, whilst many of us fancy ourselves as ground breaking managers, or course the simple answer is that if we could do it, we would be.

PT is without doubt one of the (if not THE) best and most able managers ever to grace the park. His time with us has been an almost constant upward curve. But a part of me thinks that if we were ever going to pull off the big one (championship) then last season was probably the time. I think we might have reached the plateau, and whilst the many and varied 'kick Tis' threads have previously been full of garbage, is it possible that for the first time people's dis-satisfaction is actually based on reasonable logic and sensible opinions?

Without doubt the budget constraints have not helped. The loss of the spine of the team would have taken a hell of a lot of coming back from for any manager, and I feel PT is currently scratching his head. I also don't accept Mr Moxey (senior's) point about loan players. To my mind they should be providing cover, and adding extra spark, it can't make much sense to try to build a team, or even an attacking force around them. I can only think of Yeovil doing this with any great success, and they squeaked through last year by the skin of their teeth.

The fact is, the current squad is borderline relegation quality in this league, and any resulting relegation would see the same basic squad mid table at best in L2. For instance, are we currently any better than the Gulls? In reality no. O'Kane is this years Harley, and on a strong and recent contract, if he goes, they will be able to build an entire team around the fee. I think we have one or two players at best that would currently command a fee. TAH, who is under so much pressure to hold the backline together this term, he is making a number of mistakes, and looking a little clumsy a little too often to achieve what his real value would be under normal development.

So, where does all of this leave PT? In a quandry I would say. People I talk to say that he has been offered a nice slice of the potential redevelopment. Now that it looks like progress has ground to a halt on that score, what more is left for our manager? Increase in budget so that we can increase the squad quality? Doesn't appear likely. Can he get any more out of what he has got? Maybe, and hopefully he can, but maybe he can't.

Maybe he is making the tactical mistakes he is being accused of, maybe he is running out of ideas......

My feeling is that he wouldn't be human if he wasn't having a few darker 'what if?' thoughts? Should he have gone to Swansea? Yes of course in retrospect he should. Soton? Yes the same. He still remains in the 'promising' section at the great manager table. A year ago, he would have stood a reasonable chance with about half of any championship jobs that came up. That figure will have reduced now, and would reduce for certain again if we went down, or came close to it. From a position where he could have chosen a good club, in good shape, any current move would now be somewhere with a job needing doing. Coventry for instance, could be the next.

The main problem though, is time moves on. The younger, louder voices on here, as crazy as it might seem to us older heads, won't even remember the dark days of Gresley and Grays. All they know is 2 seasons out of 3 with no width, little pace, a low goals for column, and frankly, as much average football as good. This means that the naysayers will only increase in number and volume. And while many of us on here know that in reality we are very much punching at the top of our weight, other's won't see it that way.

Enthusiam, team spirit, picking up quality cheap crocks, and generally being astute, aware and shrewd might not end up being enough.

For PT's career's sake, he is going to start thinking soon that there may be little more that can realistically be done, little more that can advance his CV here at the park, and it might well be time to take something bigger, while his options for a bigger club are still reasonable. My worry? If he doesn't want to do that, then I worry about his lack of ambition. With the state of the footballing world, (money, crowds, new academy rules) our manager cruising because he can't think of what else to do would be a disaster.

It might be coming to the time to be looking towards the next Appleton, Howe (Bashir, working wonders and developing players for fun at Hayes), Law at Tamworth et al.

Nothing (or very little) lasts forever.

This could be one of the very rare times where a 'mutual consent' decision might be the right one.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, I can pretty much get on board with the majority of that, especially that bit about Rae, she's a bad sort and no mistake.

Ps. When did we ever play Gresley ?

Red Lion

An interesting and thoughtful post. All I can add is things would have to be much worse for me to ever scream for his head on a plate. Now I have to find Rae's 'disingenuous' (sp?) post!

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Don't mind you saying it at all, jr. (And the rest of you blighters!). It was meant to be a late-night tongue in cheek antidote to the avalanche of negative threads and posts. I expected it to last less than a day before disappearing into the mire. Not to stretch to five pages! Ooops...

jr1871

Yep, I can pretty much get on board with the majority of that, especially that bit about Rae, she's a bad sort and no mistake.

Ps. When did we ever play Gresley ?
Ah! Apols, Farsley of course, not Gresley...

jr1871

An interesting and thoughtful post. All I can add is things would have to be much worse for me to ever scream for his head on a plate. Now I have to find Rae's 'disingenuous' (sp?) post!
Thank you RL, agree. I'm not screaming for his head on a plate. I just genuinely feel that a change of leader is more realistic than it has been before, and I would want to be prepared..

Two things brought the post about, 1) the Carey link. I know for certain that we have been courting various members of the City squad for months, that concerns me unless they are the right players, and 2) Tis's serious talking up of our current No.1. I don't see him as any better than a) Pidg, and b) most of the other talented but incomplete keepers in L1. Now is the time to be getting decisions right. Hence why if there was to be an abdication, I personally wouldn't prefer any of the current coaching squad none of whom have any number 1 experience. We got the appointment of Tis dead right, and that's a direction I would want to go down again, young, hungry, different contact base than the current crew, and proper dugout experience.

Red Lion

I personally wouldn't prefer any of the current coaching squad none of whom have any number 1 experience. We got the appointment of Tis dead right, and that's a direction I would want to go down again, young, hungry, different contact base than the current crew, and proper dugout experience.
I think I'm right in saying that after Terry Cooper's second coming, and going, we kept finding our manager 'in house' til our relegation season, by which time the damage had been done. I've watched some crap served up over the years, and that era was as bad as I've seen.

I agree with you, should Tizza depart for whatever reason, there's a saying 'new broom sweeps clean'.

PeteUSA

For PT's career's sake, he is going to start thinking soon that there may be little more that can realistically be done, little more that can advance his CV here at the park, and it might well be time to take something bigger, while his options for a bigger club are still reasonable. My worry? If he doesn't want to do that, then I worry about his lack of ambition. With the state of the footballing world, (money, crowds, new academy rules) our manager cruising because he can't think of what else to do would be a disaster.

It might be coming to the time to be looking towards the next Appleton, Howe (Bashir, working wonders and developing players for fun at Hayes), Law at Tamworth et al.

Nothing (or very little) lasts forever.

This could be one of the very rare times where a 'mutual consent' decision might be the right one.
Excellent thread jr, and a very accurate accessment on what I would have thought would be uppermost in Tisdales mind, although I dont think he'll go for the mutual consent option, since all the 'big club' jobs he was said to be in line for are no longer open to him. I think his marketability has dropped markedly given our results and league position over the last couple of months.

I think the signs are there for all to see, that PT is all out of ideas about how to keep us away from the bottom four this season. He's using loan signings like they're going out of fashion, and chucking kids into the first team deep end when they're nothing like ready. Add to that the fact that we all expected a keeper with some pedigree as first choice, and we get Lenny, with AK being considered good enough, and I think the writings on the wall. We're officially crap!

If Tisdale is as ambitious as some say, he'd jump ship now, while his sainthood still presides over SJP and we're not (quite) in the bottom four. Perryman could easily take charge, in fact I'm not sure SP's input over the past five years hasnt been a factor that should be figured into Tisdales success.

malcolms

"People I talk to tell me PT has been offered a nice slice of the potential redevelopment" If this is true, and I'm not sure we should jump to conclusions, then it highlights the sort of insidious influence that appears to pervade the club. A very, very dangerous path to go down.

Ian Sideman

"People I talk to tell me PT has been offered a nice slice of the potential redevelopment" If this is true, and I'm not sure we should jump to conclusions, then it highlights the sort of insidious influence that appears to pervade the club. A very, very dangerous path to go down.
Is that a genuine quote Malcolm as the P's blood pressure is going to go through the roof?!? I'm assuming it's a bit of pre-xmas tease :)