• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

8th Jan 2005.....

Fareham Grecian

We actually went on to beat Boca Seniors in the League Cup final. I missed it because I was in Zimbabwe.
Oli, if you'd experienced 81 (especially at the age I was at the time), you'd know. Believe me. Old Trafford for Kellows hattrick or Pearsons bicycle kick or knowing that getting past Spurs would put us one step away from Wembley. Never.
The point surely is that it wasn't a choice, no-one asked you to swap, you could have gone to both like the rest of us (who were old enough!) did, and join in these reminiscences without the whiff of sour grapes...

Brian Moore

Oli, if you'd experienced 81 (especially at the age I was at the time), you'd know. Believe me. Old Trafford for Kellows hattrick or Pearsons bicycle kick or knowing that getting past Spurs would put us one step away from Wembley. Never.
You are obviously entitled to your opioniin but i just cant agree with that. Having been to all the games in 81 (except the home game with Leatherhead strangely enough!) that day at OT is, imo, light years ahead. A non-league team drawing with Man Utd at Old Trafford is staggering, the fact it saved our club made it even more amazing, it was the second time i'd blubbed at a footy game, (the other being that day at Northampton) coming back home from OT was one of the most enjoyable experiences i've ever had, traipsing home from Newcastle, Millwall, Maidstone & Tottenham were fecking miserable (Leicester was good though - thanks to the copious amounts of Fondent French Fancies in the main). The buzz in the City over the next couple of weeks were amazing, we'd embarrased the mighty Man Utd, ****** Fergie off and were the talk of the country but, more importantly in my opinion, we would actually be able to look forward with confidence to going to places like Northwich, Scarborough and Halifax again! A magic time.

Red the Paper

Banned
!981 for me every time. 18000 crammed into SJP twice was something to behold. Fighting Leicester fans in the street away was excellent too if I say so myself. I was 18 so I was expected to fight.

Man Utd was good tho too many hangers on for me, but Oxford away was better IMO. There is nothing better than traipsing (using Brian's words) to Oxford expecting to be beat, City fans not taking their full compliment because too many were found wanting. Oxford fans hating us before the game (and after) and booking coaches to Wembley. City singing from start to finish...the penalties etc...

The thought that stays in mind more than any that day was...the fact I hate Man ure with passion,Hate the diving players,hate the cheating manager,hate all the penalties,hate the prawn eating plastic fans,just hate the fact that they really think there are the biggest club in the world and there not even the most succsesfull in England...is the fact City took near 10000 fans ther and we out sung them all game it was f@king great and to me that was so good to see the prawn eating tw*ts get out sang by a non-league team....and to cap it all a asian Man ure fan just off the plane from china started shouting "hand Ball" "hand ball" and I had to tell him" acutally it was a City throw-in" !!

mikey9950

I coundn't get to the game due to work commitmnets ( the bloody Army) came home from work miday to find a power cut all around the town sat there twiddling my thumbs as i coundn't get the results anywhere then my tv suddendly pops on 10 minutes before MOTD, oh what joys and then i missed the replay on tv due to some other exercise with the army FU**ERS. now i need the DVD to see the thousends of city fans tearing up old trafford.

Poultice

Very well known Exeweb poster
I did 1981 and Oxford away but fail to see how either experience would take anything away from the invasion of Oop North.

The tension as 90 minutes approached was right up there with any of my sporting experiences, great atmos before and after, found the United fans to be more than generous in their praise, all in all a good'un, hope I can stick around for a few more.

chalkyno1

!981 for me every time. 18000 crammed into SJP twice was something to behold. Fighting Leicester fans in the street away was excellent too if I say so myself. I was 18 so I was expected to fight.

Man Utd was good tho too many hangers on for me, but Oxford away was better IMO. There is nothing better than traipsing (using Brian's words) to Oxford expecting to be beat, City fans not taking their full compliment because too many were found wanting. Oxford fans hating us before the game (and after) and booking coaches to Wembley. City singing from start to finish...the penalties etc...
I agree with there being a lot of people that wouldn't normally go but i'm glad the 'hangers on' were there to swell the coffers and help wipe out more of our debt. I'm sure that day at OT must have attracted a few new regular SJP attendees. I was so ill with flu (plus hangover) but it was amazing, we'll probably never see the likes of it again so should savour it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I felt the "hangers on" issue more at the replay, oddly! Certainly came into contact with more.

Lister

Does anyone have a link to the Radio Devon highlights?
I have it on mp3 if anyone wants it?

Invisible Man

In 1981 we actually thought we could go on and win it, in 2005 it was all about survival. Old Trafford was a good day out, nothing more than that for me...my life has far too many greater moments than one cold day in Manchester where Man Utd treated us to a training session.

For me 1981