• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2nd striker

Red Bill

Circumstances have meant I haven't been able too make it to matches so far this season, i've watched a few games on ifollow playback, but you don't ever really get a proper picture of the game that way, so I was wondering about people's thoughts on what's clearly been an issue.
Bowman clearly needs a partner and although it looks like Ajose will be back soon, we need someone doing the job now. I really like Lee Martin, but as some have pointed out, he's not a striker so is ineffective and IMO wasted in that role. So my thought is why not play Jay there? I know he's more an attacking midfielder these days, but he reads the game well, has bags of ability and having previously been a striker, has that striker's instinct that Martin clearly doesn't. So why not play him, he's far too good to sit on the bench week in week out!
What do people think?

Ian Russon

It's all well and good but with such a tight budget and promotion being the target you can't just go out and get a second striker. Yes, I think maybe we should utilize the loan market but again, that's a gamble.

The problem is how long do you wait for Ajose and waiting for him could be detrimental to achieving this seasons targets. A fully fit Ajose should be ample enough to see us through and will certainly help our goal difference.

If Ajose gets injured again this year and we have not got some cover then we are in trouble. If we get Ajose cover and get in a loan signing then that signing is pretty much expected to play most weeks. It's a tough one as either way I do not want Ryan Bowman replaced as he's doing fantastic and offers attributes that very few strikers in this league can do.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ajose might well "get some minutes", as the new saying goes, on Thursday. We also have another striker. He's called Alex Fisher, remember him? I don't think his injury is long term, 4-6 weeks out?

Injuries happen, and we are never going to be able to afford an Eoin Doyle. We got lucky with Stockley.

Anyway we have scored three goals in both the last two games at SJP and Bowman seems to have rediscovered the gap between the white wooden sticks, so I'm not in panic mode.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Losing Fisher for six weeks has thrown a spanner in the works. Our options are to use Seymour, throw another player up front to do his best whilst out of position, rush Ajose back or get a loanee in in the new year. Of those I'd use Seymour until Ajose is 100% fit. There's probably more options open but MT is almost certainly aware that an injury or suspension for Bowman would be pretty damaging to our season.

Ian Tarr

I agree with the OP, in that Matt Jay is not getting the game time he deserves, and as an energetic player, he could well share the load with Lee Martin at least.

I also think there's a lot of panic about the goal-scoring department, when we are fifth top scorers in the division. Of course we would love to score more, but I have a distinct feeling that the players we already have on board will do better in the second half of the season.

A new striker wouldn't come amiss, though. And actually, on figures alone, it's our defence where we need more improvement (as twelfth best in the division).

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Matt Jay is this season's enigma, he comes in scores a few and then is forgotten, why?

IndoMike

Matt Jay is this season's enigma, he comes in scores a few and then is forgotten, why?
Could it be a size issue? Maybe Matt (and Tisdale before) think he"s not quite big enough or bulky enough for Div 2. That's not my opinion, but can't think of any other reason.

Red Devon

I’d say It’s set up quite nicely from Ajose point of view....to be given a chance to come into a forward line that has generally struggled for goals this season will ease the pressure on him...whereas if he’d was replacing a 15 goals by Christmas striker that had just been sold would pile a lot more pressure on him to deliver ...the one impressive game he had against Cheltenham in Leasing.com just before his injury gives me every reason to be optimistic.

STURTZ

Could it be a size issue? Maybe Matt (and Tisdale before) think he"s not quite big enough or bulky enough for Div 2. That's not my opinion, but can't think of any other reason.
That's rubbish, how big was Jamie Cureton?

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nope if he's good enough size doesnt come in to it. He's the same height as Messi.