• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

25 Years Ago Today

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Saturday 28 April 1990. We beat Scarborough 3-2 to be confirmed as Division 4 champions!

Fully deserved, wit a great team. What a day though!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep. I attended every home game that season. We were unbeaten at home if I remember correctly.

I can remember running onto the pitch as a young lad. In fact I think about the last 3 home games of that season resulted in pitch invasions. It started to feel normal by the last one!

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yep. I attended every home game that season. We were unbeaten at home if I remember correctly.

I can remember running onto the pitch as a young lad. In fact I think about the last 3 home games of that season resulted in pitch invasions. It started to feel normal by the last one!
Yes we were unbeaten at home and won the title by 10 points. Away was a different story though. Ironically next season the 3 teams that went up with us from memory Cambridge, Grimsby and Southend were all promoted into the old second division.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The highlights the Scarborough game

[video=youtube;NPWMlo3Cw2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPWMlo3Cw2Y[/video]

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep, was at that one in the away end, as they opened it up for City fans and put the few Scarborough fans in Block A of the OG (y)

Antony Moxey

A record breaking season that we're unlikely to see repeated ever again. Won all but three league games at home (we drew them instead), remained unbeaten at home in the cups too, facing opposition from all four divisions on the way to reaching the third round of the FA Cup, fourth round of the League Cup and quarter final (I think) of the equivalent of the JPT.

Finished ten points clear with the other three promoted teams going straight through to back to back promotions, we also finished with the most away defeats for a Championship winning team with 13. We did win eight though, and in total I think played 65 games that season. Also, following a 3-0 defeat at York we remained unbeaten for the remainder of the season with that defeat being the only one in the league by more than one goal. We finished the season with a thumping 5-1 win at Lincoln, who needed a win to seal a play-off spot themselves.

Plus, on top of all that, we played probably the best football I've ever seen a City team play. What a season!

IndoMike

Saturday 28 April 1990. We beat Scarborough 3-2 to be confirmed as Division 4 champions!

Fully deserved, wit a great team. What a day though!
That team had everything : great keeper, strong center backs. attacking full backs, steel in midfield, wingers (!) a skillful and clever "no.10" and a deadly striker. It had character and class. The manager allowed the team to play simple but effective football : passing, but passing forward with purpose, with no bull**** keeping possession near your own penalty area until you lose the ball. You knew we would score in every game : you knew it would be exciting. And Terry Cooper put that team together in less than 2 years.

Grecian2K

That team had everything : great keeper, strong center backs. attacking full backs, steel in midfield, wingers (!) a skillful and clever "no.10" and a deadly striker. It had character and class. The manager allowed the team to play simple but effective football : passing, but passing forward with purpose, with no bull**** keeping possession near your own penalty area until you lose the ball. You knew we would score in every game : you knew it would be exciting. And Terry Cooper put that team together in less than 2 years.
Total carp AWAY record though ;) (apart from the Lincoln game obvs )
TerryCooperForp aht !

Last edited:

paperclip

I can't remember half of what I did a fortnight ago but I can remember so much of that season.

Brilliant times, the like of which I doubt will be seen again in my lifetime.

denzil

Won 20 and Drew 3 at home - NOW THAT IS GOOD HOME FORM :)