• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2024 Summer Transfer Window

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cox and Alli are in effect 2 development projects, are you saying we should have 3 development projects as our strike force? All about balance old chap. We had 2 bids for Evans rejected, I reckon we’ll be going back again.
Where did I say that? Nombe never turned up as a project. Cole never turned up as a project.

Antony Moxey

But what is a pay cut from what he is now on and how does that equate to what we can afford?
I guess that depends on what he’s on now (which I assume no-one on here knows) and what we can afford (which I assume no-one on here knows).

Mid Devon Grecian

Where did I say that? Nombe never turned up as a project. Cole never turned up as a project.
Depends on your definition of a project. Both Nombe and Cole were going nowhere, Cole on the verge of giving up on professional football. Nombe unproven as a regular goal scorer. If they weren’t projects I don’t know how you define a project? Not exclusively kids.

You jump on me mentioning a name so let’s just say perhaps a mix of two inexperienced but talented youngsters along with a more established proven goalscorer might tick all the boxes?

I know you’ll probably disagree for the sheer hell of it but whatever 🙄

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Depends on your definition of a project. Both Nombe and Cole were going nowhere, Cole on the verge of giving up on professional football. Nombe unproven as a regular goal scorer. If they weren’t projects I don’t know how you define a project? Not exclusively kids.

You jump on me mentioning a name so let’s just say perhaps a mix of two inexperienced but talented youngsters along with a more established proven goalscorer might tick all the boxes?

I know you’ll probably disagree for the sheer hell of it but whatever 🙄
You were the one getting all jumpy about development projects.😜 The reality is the club will have profiles of the players they want. They will have targets based against those profiles and what they can afford. Who they are, like you, I haven't got the first clue. We'll make all our guesses as and when the retained lists come out but the club will be months ahead of us. We're all hoping about the possibility of Woodsy being with us next season, I got the impression from Caldwell post match interview on Radio Devon that the club are already exploring ways to make that a possibility. Caldwell said there were hurdles beyond our control at the moment, Woodsy current contract at Hull being one of them. It shows you how far in front of us the club are working.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Scoring 50-60 goals a season is hardly a secret, we've just struggled to do it because we either didn't have any kind of recognisable striker or we've been relying on an inexperienced kid in Sonny Cox. It will be one of the positions to be sorted during the summer but it's hardly a great mystery.
I was thinking more along the lines of how a keeper with less ability than Sinisalo will put a severe dent in our season,it's not certain our goalscoring will improve much next season.

andrew p long

It always amazes me even now how often people on here tie themselves to known names even when we, as a club, have pulled players out of nowhere. None of us heard of Sam Nombe, who the hell was Reece Cole, Millenic Alli????? We have a scouting network capable of digging below the surface to find a gem or two.
It may be because its easier to name names that are known rather than name names that are not known ;) .

grecIAN Harris

It may be because its easier to name names that are known rather than name names that are not known ;) .
What I meant by that, and didn't explain, was the lack of faith in the management and scouting network that we can unearth somebody for the position required.

Bridgy 81

We had 2 bids for Evans rejected, I reckon we’ll be going back again.
I’ve done a bit of research on Evans today.
An interesting character, he studied at Cardiff University between the ages of 18-22 and only turned professional at Newport County following a season at Bala Town.
He can play either wing back or striker/winger.
Again interesting.
He’s been upfront this season and knocked in a fair few goals too.
Newport have been badgering him recently to sign a new deal and their Manager is reported as saying he’s prepared to ‘adopt’ him if it helps and his parents agree!
My reading is that both the club and the player have an option on a further season beyond this one.
I’ve never heard of that before but it presumably means that either party can trigger it or equally can walk away?
Watch this space.

AndyR

I'd love to see Sinisalo, Woods and Harris back here next season🙏....but suspect that I might be disappointed on all three.

Mid Devon Grecian

It may be because its easier to name names that are known rather
I’ve done a bit of research on Evans today.
An interesting character, he studied at Cardiff University between the ages of 18-22 and only turned professional at Newport County following a season at Bala Town.
He can play either wing back or striker/winger.
Again interesting.
He’s been upfront this season and knocked in a fair few goals too.
Newport have been badgering him recently to sign a new deal and their Manager is reported as saying he’s prepared to ‘adopt’ him if it helps and his parents agree!
My reading is that both the club and the player have an option on a further season beyond this one.
I’ve never heard of that before but it presumably means that either party can trigger it or equally can walk away?
Watch this space.
The extra year is usually in the clubs favour rather than the player. I don’t think you could have one that is activated by either party as the player would hold all the power.

What we do know is that we want him.