• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2009 Cricket Season......

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Our 1s came up a little short against St Lukes on Saturday. Put in to bat, we struggled along to 168 all out just shy of our 45 overs. Only Bollywood star Shazad Ahmad made an impression with 66 - I came in at 8 with 5 overs left and had to play a totally alien game in hitting a quick 12 (joint 2nd top scorer!).

In reply we got an early wicket, and kept chipping away but they had batting all the way through and won by 5 wickets with about 4/5 overs left.

That for me was the big difference between our 1s level (Div 1) and 2s level (Div 4) - while the oppo bowling attack didn't have anything I couldn't deal with pretty easily, at our 2s level you know if you've got 4 or 5 wickets down you're almost through them - the rest tend to be quite ragged from about 6-11. However, their 6 and 7 were both very accomplished stroke players, and helped see them through alongside their skipper.

EDIT: While I was thanked for my efforts (solid in the field, did OK with the bat), to be fair I'm rather hoping to be back in the 2s for the visit of Beddington next week - would much rather get a proper game batting top 4 than have to come in when the slog's on - if at all!

Last edited:

Woodsy

Got 2 games in over the weekend, on saturday had a losing draw against Feniton. Feniton scored 226-9 off there 46 overs, we gave them a helping hand with 69 extras. We ended up on 160 odd for 9.
Had a fantastic game on Sunday against North Molton who batted first and got 216-6 off 45 overs, which we chased down and got with 11 balls to spare. I batted the whole way through for 120 no and my first ever 100.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations - very little beats the feeling of a ton.

I remember my first so vividly. We needed about 2 to win, but the shout from the side was "you must get it with a 4!" - played and missed the first 3 or 4 balls, then thumped the next to the boundary. The Missus and my Mum were there to see it, too.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Got 2 games in over the weekend, on saturday had a losing draw against Feniton. Feniton scored 226-9 off there 46 overs, we gave them a helping hand with 69 extras. We ended up on 160 odd for 9.
Had a fantastic game on Sunday against North Molton who batted first and got 216-6 off 45 overs, which we chased down and got with 11 balls to spare. I batted the whole way through for 120 no and my first ever 100.
You must of played against Rob Ayre , he's there skipper top bloke too.

Saturday i was in the 2's and took 4-28 off my 15 overs , my batting this year so far has been hit and miss mind as i got myself in settled nicely found myself 11no and then got caught trying to go over the top....what a sh*t shot.

CREDYGRECIAN

Got the call for the first team on saturday...

Budleigh away.....

up the ford.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Me too - just had an e-mail from Skip saying I was promoted. Mindful of my virtual TFC last week, he's promised me the opening batsman slot. Oppo (Selsdon) are bottom of the league so hoping to get my season really going.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Grrrr! I got myself nicely along to 10 including a cracking hooked 4, when I managed, in trying to hook a ball again on the deadest of dead wickets, to kick the ball back onto my stumps. I was seeing it so well too, was on for a big one.

Anyway, they made 158/9 off their 45 on said dead wicket - we bowled and fielded well while their shot selection left a lot to be desired. After I was out we coasted home with 5 wickets to spare albeit only a couple of overs left - our volatile star Tony Parker coasted to a 50 while Bollywood hero Shaz Ahmad also chipped in with about 40-odd.

I did earn a lot of praise, both for a razor-sharp performance in the field (I'm known for it in the 2s but the 1s were impressed!) and for the way I went about my innings. At least I didn't look (or feel) out of place so am confident if promoted again that I can do the job.

CREDYGRECIAN

Got a massive 6 , tried going over the top and was caught at mid on for the 2nd week running....

We had a fantastic winning draw mind and the boys battled superbly in boiling hot conditions to defend 175 off 52 overs.

Sunday i for the first time became the victim of a bowlers hat trick , caught behind first ball.

Doomer.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And I remain in the 1s - who knows, might be on the way to becoming a semi-regular 1st teamer - eek!

Oppo seem to be fairly weak again, so here's hoping I can turn feeling good into making some scores...

EDIT: Scrap that. Got an e-mail today. Given the lack of batting in the 2s last week, a couple of us are swapping places to give the 1s more depth in bowling and the 2s more depth in batting.

Last edited: