• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

1931 Fund - 2014/15

Alan Crockford

Well-known Exeweb poster
We haven't really consulted our members yet, so I can't confirm right now whether there will be enough of us to continue the 1931 Fund for a sixth season. We will send a note to our members over the weekend, but the whole scheme came about through Exeweb posts, so it's always good to talk on here too.

Last year, City wanted to keep our man, Elliott Chamberlain, for a further season which, we'd have to admit, turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. I know that City were impressed by Elliott's work rate and athleticism, and he'd had a good grounding as a kid at Leicester, so I can see why Tis chose to use our funding to give Elliott the extra year that he wouldn't have got without our cash. It was clear in pre-season that there were plans to use him (he played against QPR, for instance) but it just didn't work out.

We ended up paying City £10,000 to part-fund Elliott's wages, and there will also have been income from his time on loan. The remainder of this year's 1931 Fund money (about £2,000) will roll over to next year.

So, what to do for 2014/15?

As above, we need to retain most of our members and recruit a few more. Please email us at [email protected] if you'd like to chuck in £19 per month to keep our fan-funded Number 31 scheme going.

Assuming we do get enough numbers, there are clearly a lot of young pros with a good chance of first team football whom we could fund. However, these are home-grown players who City *ought* to be able to afford to keep if they want. Our aim was to add 'one extra' to the City squad - a little gamble for the gaffa, a la Kellow, Miller, Harley, Dunne or Wheeler - and from previous consultations we know that's what our members would really like.

Assuming we do okay on the members front and raise a few grand extra with the help of our man actually featuring in the squad, we could perhaps offer our next Number 31 a princely £400 a week on a July to May contract. It's not quite enough, really, but possibilities include:

a) An anonymous benefactor helping us out (anyone?). or

b) A bigger club paying a percentage of a player's wages in order to release him a year early from his contract into our welcoming arms (that does happen, doesn't it?); or

c) Just finding a very good non league or newly released talent who is desperate for a crack at league football and isn't greatly bothered about money.

Has anyone got any ideas?

PS: As one of those who's spent over £1,000 now on Exeter City's Number 31s, I really don't need to be told that it's all a waste of money. I do know. And so does Dr Wife!

grecianboyy

What the point?? Every single 1931 fund player plays 3/4 games a season then by the end gets released,its a waste of time.

Redporky21

Why doesnt a first year pro who has graduated through the city academy get chosen for the fund? The club could then use the money they were going to pay them on someone else that plays 1-2 games a season. I think people would be more willing to contribute to paying for a local lad to have a crack at it then some unknown from somewere else. Just a thought

Last edited:

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
We haven't really consulted our members yet, so I can't confirm right now whether there will be enough of us to continue the 1931 Fund for a sixth season. We will send a note to our members over the weekend, but the whole scheme came about through Exeweb posts, so it's always good to talk on here too.

Last year, City wanted to keep our man, Elliott Chamberlain, for a further season which, we'd have to admit, turned out to be a bit of a disappointment. I know that City were impressed by Elliott's work rate and athleticism, and he'd had a good grounding as a kid at Leicester, so I can see why Tis chose to use our funding to give Elliott the extra year that he wouldn't have got without our cash. It was clear in pre-season that there were plans to use him (he played against QPR, for instance) but it just didn't work out.

We ended up paying City £10,000 to part-fund Elliott's wages, and there will also have been income from his time on loan. The remainder of this year's 1931 Fund money (about £2,000) will roll over to next year.

So, what to do for 2014/15?

As above, we need to retain most of our members and recruit a few more. Please email us at [email protected] if you'd like to chuck in £19 per month to keep our fan-funded Number 31 scheme going.

Assuming we do get enough numbers, there are clearly a lot of young pros with a good chance of first team football whom we could fund. However, these are home-grown players who City *ought* to be able to afford to keep if they want. Our aim was to add 'one extra' to the City squad - a little gamble for the gaffa, a la Kellow, Miller, Harley, Dunne or Wheeler - and from previous consultations we know that's what our members would really like.

Assuming we do okay on the members front and raise a few grand extra with the help of our man actually featuring in the squad, we could perhaps offer our next Number 31 a princely £400 a week on a July to May contract. It's not quite enough, really, but possibilities include:

a) An anonymous benefactor helping us out (anyone?). or

b) A bigger club paying a percentage of a player's wages in order to release him a year early from his contract into our welcoming arms (that does happen, doesn't it?); or

c) Just finding a very good non league or newly released talent who is desperate for a crack at league football and isn't greatly bothered about money.

Has anyone got any ideas?

PS: As one of those who's spent over £1,000 now on Exeter City's Number 31s, I really don't need to be told that it's all a waste of money. I do know. And so does Dr Wife!
Alan and the others who contribute have sadly been rolled over....An initiative that should have been respected and appreciated has been used as a convenience with little or no regard to responsibility....I appreciate that you may not wish to hear it but "to know all is to forgive all".......

Antony Moxey

What the point?? Every single 1931 fund player plays 3/4 games a season then by the end gets released,its a waste of time.
The point is it gives the manager a punt on a player he might not want to risk his budget on. It's, in effect, free money. That it hasn't yet yielded a first time regular shouldn't detract from the sentiment of the fund and whilst not a contributor myself I have to say hats off to Al and those that do contribute for being brave enough to stand up and put their money where their mouths are. Good on yer, Al.

wemissmoxey

Alan and the others who contribute have sadly been rolled over....An initiative that should have been respected and appreciated has been used as a convenience with little or no regard to responsibility....I appreciate that you may not wish to hear it but "to know all is to forgive all".......
Spot on.

The cash may as well have been spent on lottery tickets.

Well-known Exeweb poster
The point is it gives the manager a punt on a player he might not want to risk his budget on. It's, in effect, free money. That it hasn't yet yielded a first time regular shouldn't detract from the sentiment of the fund and whilst not a contributor myself I have to say hats off to Al and those that do contribute for being brave enough to stand up and put their money where their mouths are. Good on yer, Al.
Well said....

Thames Valley Red

Well said....
Ditto both you and Ant. Well Al I am in and I will discuss this on the Pitchfork FB forum this weekend as well. I am happy to help with a one off payment as well this year Al, as well. It is a great feeling telling someone you help give a player a chance. Ok we have limited success, but who expected Ronaldo to come out of this scheme. I will contact you offline.

UTC

TVR

AlanDevlin

Still think this is a great idea for fans, despite the limited success, and deserves every encouragement. (y)

manc grecian

It's a great idea but signing Chamberlain for another season is another example of waste, it's made worse when it's a pot of money coming directly from fans and trumpeted in the media as such.

I'd try and promote a group aspect, £19 maybe beyond most but a fiver for four people isn't?