• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

10 reasons to get behind your team - a view from Prenton Park

I have followed the Grecians for over 27 years and watched professional football for over 40 years. I have also been a fairly frequent viewer of Exeweb but frankly got bored quite quickly with the nay sayers, Waldorf and Stadlers, and those who at the slightest down turn, turn on the club , manager and team. I manage to go to a fair few away games. I have friends in Liverpool so went as their guests to the Tranmere game. I ended up sitting behind the dugouts in the home stand!

Some observations:

1. This was quite possibly the best team performance by an Exeter team I have seen in the last 6 years.

2. It was also one of the most exciting performances. We have some very talented youngsters that Tis has got playing together fluently, incisively and competitively. They have grown up quickly since August and can now flex their muscles AND play. Speaking to Tranmere fans around me universally they acclaimed it as by far and away the best team they had seen home and away all season

3. The press rightly heralded the diving header for the 2nd goal. Excellent as it was the ball in from Grimes was brilliant absolutely unplayable. Grimes is young and in every game stands out a mile. At his age Beckham was loaned out to a lowly Preston. Whilst I don't want to go over the top Grimes is a class act : his first touch , ability to make space for himself, ride tackles , tackle ,play dead balls, and distribute you would be lucky to find outside the Premiership. IF I had kids at home I would get them down to to SJP to see this kid in action - why ? because I would put a decent wager on him claiming a few Englnd caps within few years. Your kids will be able to say "I saw him before he was famous" and " He played for MY team"

4. Pym is also a class act. Not flawless but pulled off a couple of outstanding saves at Prenton Park. His distribution from hand and kicking is generally excellent and if I understand this right he was drafted in to training with the England 1st XI last month.

5. Both Pym and Grimes have been capped for England U19s - if my research is right these are the first two Division 2 players drafted at this level - and they are playing at a ground near you !

6. I don't track the youth set up myself but my mate on the Big Bank thinks these 2 are first of many coming through the ranks.

7. Rob Edwards, nice guy and hero that he is, looks "uncomfortable". A Tranmere fan three rows in front of me got hauled out and ejected for the ferocity of abuse directed at the home bench. The home fans behind the dug outs were frankly embarrassing - they're meant to be fans right? The abuse was pretty sickening. Can we get our own stewards to do the same to the muppets that sit in the Old Grandstand at SJP and after a few real ales think its useful to shout abuse at the manager and the team? I'm all for free speech but do they really think this is constructive?

8. I am not a "Tis is God" acolyte. Its not his fault that he's probably on a whacking great salary BUT neither it his fault that the spine of the team which at one one time were vying for play off status in League 1 left or where poached - he's had to rebuild with zero budget - but he's doing it !

9. Staying away from SJP as a "protest" is NOT supporting your team. The prices have come down. If the team had the same sort of support I heard at Tranmere as they do at home perhaps they would be more likely to put in that sort of performance at home.

10.If you are a real Grecians fans get down to SJP , bring your kids and your friends and see some talent and up and coming stars!

motorservices

Grimes is truly awesome, and i said to my better half only last night that he will play in the prem and also for the full England set up, he wont be with us for long, i just hope we have him on a long contract...........

paperclip

Grimes is truly awesome, and i said to my better half only last night that he will play in the prem and also for the full England set up, he wont be with us for long, i just hope we have him on a long contract...........
Tisdale doesn't do long contracts...

Unlikely we can keep him I reckon - if we keep him past January it will be a plus. Get down and see the kid in action before he goes. The more people tip up and see him the less likely it is the club will have to accept a rock bottom price in a "fire sale"in the transfer window.Talking to my Tranmere mates their multimillionaire owner stuffed in 900K in the last 18 months and their still £400,000 in the red ! We OWN our football club right? Every club is short of money ....every body through the turnstile adds to the clubs negotiating strength when the inevitable happens. On plus side a red and whit shirt with Grimes on the back and signed by said hero in waiting could be worth bob in the future ! You aint going to get that at Old Trafford!!

Angus

What a long piece of absolute drivel! Next. ..

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think the best scenario would be for several clubs to come in for Grimeo in January getting his price right up and plenty of add ons. We take the cash and use some of it to bring Harley back at a knock down price.

Could happen.

Could do but if Harley is as off his pace as Gilly was on Saturday for Tranmere heaven help us !

Silver fox

Very well known Exeweb poster
And then you wake up, WALOB's, sweet dreams.

Angus was just one of those really constructive and witty individuals I mentioned that has put me off this forum to date. About as useful as a ............... { Please free to complete !}

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have followed the Grecians for over 27 years and watched professional football for over 40 years. I have also been a fairly frequent viewer of Exeweb but frankly got bored quite quickly with the nay sayers, Waldorf and Stadlers, and those who at the slightest down turn, turn on the club , manager and team. I manage to go to a fair few away games. I have friends in Liverpool so went as their guests to the Tranmere game. I ended up sitting behind the dugouts in the home stand!

Some observations:

1. This was quite possibly the best team performance by an Exeter team I have seen in the last 6 years.

2. It was also one of the most exciting performances. We have some very talented youngsters that Tis has got playing together fluently, incisively and competitively. They have grown up quickly since August and can now flex their muscles AND play. Speaking to Tranmere fans around me universally they acclaimed it as by far and away the best team they had seen home and away all season

3. The press rightly heralded the diving header for the 2nd goal. Excellent as it was the ball in from Grimes was brilliant absolutely unplayable. Grimes is young and in every game stands out a mile. At his age Beckham was loaned out to a lowly Preston. Whilst I don't want to go over the top Grimes is a class act : his first touch , ability to make space for himself, ride tackles , tackle ,play dead balls, and distribute you would be lucky to find outside the Premiership. IF I had kids at home I would get them down to to SJP to see this kid in action - why ? because I would put a decent wager on him claiming a few Englnd caps within few years. Your kids will be able to say "I saw him before he was famous" and " He played for MY team"

4. Pym is also a class act. Not flawless but pulled off a couple of outstanding saves at Prenton Park. His distribution from hand and kicking is generally excellent and if I understand this right he was drafted in to training with the England 1st XI last month.

5. Both Pym and Grimes have been capped for England U19s - if my research is right these are the first two Division 2 players drafted at this level - and they are playing at a ground near you !

6. I don't track the youth set up myself but my mate on the Big Bank thinks these 2 are first of many coming through the ranks.

7. Rob Edwards, nice guy and hero that he is, looks "uncomfortable". A Tranmere fan three rows in front of me got hauled out and ejected for the ferocity of abuse directed at the home bench. The home fans behind the dug outs were frankly embarrassing - they're meant to be fans right? The abuse was pretty sickening. Can we get our own stewards to do the same to the muppets that sit in the Old Grandstand at SJP and after a few real ales think its useful to shout abuse at the manager and the team? I'm all for free speech but do they really think this is constructive?

8. I am not a "Tis is God" acolyte. Its not his fault that he's probably on a whacking great salary BUT neither it his fault that the spine of the team which at one one time were vying for play off status in League 1 left or where poached - he's had to rebuild with zero budget - but he's doing it !

9. Staying away from SJP as a "protest" is NOT supporting your team. The prices have come down. If the team had the same sort of support I heard at Tranmere as they do at home perhaps they would be more likely to put in that sort of performance at home.

10.If you are a real Grecians fans get down to SJP , bring your kids and your friends and see some talent and up and coming stars!
Echo your points above. Just like at Cambridge on Tuesday, it was another great away performance.

I try not to get carried away with Grimes, but it is very difficult. He is such an incredible talent. I do think he'll play at a very high level. What level? Who knows. I wouldn't really want to say either as both us and him need to keep our feet on the ground. But I'm sure he'll play much higher than we can realistically aim for.