• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

10 matches down and what do we think?

Topsham Boy

Above expectations on the points haul, slightly worse than expected on the performance ratings (especially 1st half’s) but that’s an OK combination for me. Deep squad, good man management is going to be the winning formula in these very strange times. So I think we are well placed on numerous fronts.
Spot on.
Good points haul whilst the team not firing on all cylinders..... and despite (as many on here have said), a few of our important players from last season just not performing at the level we need them to be yet....critical if we want to make the autos.
But overall, better than expected and long may it continue.

Pobbop

You're as good as the players you have in your squad, age is but a number. The thing is only a few knew how good the kids were so those that didn't have set the bar low. Taylor knew how good the kids were which is why he released players who were blocking their pathway or even players like Matt Jay who is now proving why he should have been playing instead of Lee Martin last season. The kids have been outstanding and have justified Taylor's decision. How many of those released do we really miss? Arguably Aaron Martin but only because he is a bit different to the first choice pairing we now have but past that? Not really.
Agree with this, in the end Matt being promoted to manager was meant to bring a lot of young uns through. Genuinely think Key and Randall would be playing, maybe not quite as much whatever happened.

Think without Covid, as you say we'd have probably kept Aaron, and been able to get rid of Ajose and got in a new striker, taking a hit but affordable before, maybe a couple more loans too, to cover for injuries.

I think we've done fine, and expect us to be in this position or thereabouts at the end of the season, with hopefully Atanaga and Page back, and Williams and Law being a bit better, do think Williams was a bit better yesterday.

budegrecian

If someone said to me before the start of the season that after 10 games:
  • Our player of the season last year would be a shadow of himself,
  • Nicky Law & Nigel Atangana would hardly feature,
  • Ryan Bowman would only have 1 goal off his backside,
  • There would games where none of our 3 new signings would be playing
  • Both keepers would be injured
yet we'd still be equal 3rd in the league, I'd have snapped their hand off. It shows how well the youngsters have settled in & performed. & also how well our manager is doing.
Some in & out performances, but with injuries & blooding youngsters that's only to be expected & they seem to have the mental resilience to still get a result even when the team isn't at it's best. I'm more than happy at present.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Winning whilst playing not so well is great, but it does remind me of the time under MT when we started the season very well, winning 1-0 a lot with results better than performances.

In the last four games we have got 10 points when on performance, chances and balance of play we probably deserved six points at most. Without those four extra points we would be 12th (where pre season I predicted we'd finish). If the wheel turns on our fortune we will quickly drift back to mid table. So a long way to go.

So I'm in the same camp as the likes of MT (who said something about us being a long way from being the best side in the division) and TPC's proper caution.

Of course youth have been great. Key and Randall have been a revelation. Key looks good enough to play in the Championship in the not too distant future.

flack attack

Yeah very decent start. Obviously everyone is in the same boat regarding the pandemic and had to cut their cloth accordingly. I did wonder at the start of the season whether we'd been slightly overly cautious with our wage bill in view of the high likelihood of money coming in from Watkins and the necessity of some form of bailout from the government or the Premier League if/when fans weren't allowed back in October. On balance, even then, I was pleased that we did, albeit it put me off wagering on us for promotion (the odds were reflective of our getting to the play-off final rather than the significantly reduced squad). Now, I'm even happier with that decision. As MT said, there were young players that were ready to come through and he was on the money. Josh Key looks better by the game and will be playing at a higher level next season in all likelihood (possibly even later this season). Joel Randall isn't too far behind IMO and I'd think will also progress. He's probably got a few more rough edges than Key at present, but a lot of raw ability and pace combined with that goes a long way.

Can't disagree with the comments in terms of scope for improvement as a team if/when senior players pick up. Law, Williams and Ajose are, I would assume the three highest earners at the club. Seems pretty safe to put Ajose down to experience at this point (hope I'm wrong obviously). Nicky Law was the best player at the club from the day he signed IMO and we've not seen that this season. I wonder from some of MT's comments whether there have been some injury issues or perhaps something else off field going on, given that we've hardly seen him this season and, when we have, we've seen a pale imitation. There were flashes yesterday (the half volleyed back heel on the right wing would have been pure silk if it had come off and the vision/execution was there), but that's not the Nicky Law who's generally the best player from either team on the pitch. Randall Williams - we know he can bring a bit more in terms of end product, but I think probably just a case of all players having form. When you're scoring/getting assists, it seems easy and more come; when they dry up, you start forcing it a bit and potentially not making the right decision. He's continuing to work hard and is worth his place in the team.

Have really liked the Collins/Taylor midfield pairing in the last few games. Last season I would always have picked Atangana (when fit), but not sure which of those two I'd drop at present if/when he's fit again. I think Taylor's an unsung here amongst the fans and even seemed to be getting around to becoming one of the players that the vocal minority on the bank disapproved of. I've never quite understood why fanbases had to have a player at the club that they didn't like. If there's someone there who's clearly not putting in the effort, then fair enough. I'm not sure why there has to be a player at any given point in time who is out of favour with the support though. One thing that I have noticed is that's it's very often the more defensive central midfielder. Paul Buckle used to get a lot of stick but, in spite of whatever failings he may have had off the pitch, he was a really good central midfielder for us. Ditto Matt Gill, who latterly got shuffled forward and started scoring goals, which got him off the blacklist. That seems to be the key. If you have a central midfielder that doesn't score goals regularly, then they're obviously not justifying their place in the team (even if their primary job in the team is to protect the back four). Obviously Archie Collins is effectively immune from this by virtue of being homegrown. Anyway, that's a significant digression, but bug bear of mine and I don't post very often, so thought I'd get it off my chest. Anyway, the point that I was intending on making was that they've been excellent and seem to have a really good understanding both with and without the ball.

Bowman - same category as Williams. Should have scored a few more, but continuing to work hard and an integral player in our system. Sounds odd to say it, but goals are almost a bonus from him. Yes it would be lovely to have Jayden Stockley up there, but he's a Championship level striker, which is why he's at a Championship club rather than playing for us in League 2. Averaging 1.5 goals per game scored is pretty decent and very slightly above our record for last season, so I don't that goals are an issue for us as such. Cambridge have Paul Mullin who's scored 11 in 10 games and that's why they've scored 22 goals in their 10 games. Signing a 15 goal plus striker isn't that easy. We signed Ajose to be that man. MT's favoured system is Bowman up top doing the donkey work and chipping in with a few goals, but think he'd be looking at Randall, Jay, Taylor and Law to be contributing high single figures each (probably low double for Jay with pens), rather than the more traditional 'there or thereabouts for promotion if main striker scores 20+, mid-table if they get 10-15, relegated if they get less than 10.' Obviously I've made up that model, but reckon it's a reasonable rule of thumb.

On the same note as Taylor in terms of being an unfavoured player, think Sweeney deserves a mention. Whilst it's possible that I was wrong re rumblings around Taylor, Sweeney has definitely been a target for some abuse. I've some other theories around that, but won't derail this comment with those. He's had spells of being excellent for us at right-back. When he started missing pens, I think MT had him take one too many. Three in a row I think he missed eventually. Could be wrong, but I thought that really knocked his confidence and his performance standard seems to fluctuate more than most on that basis, with the mistakes to which he can be prone creeping into his game all the more. Caprice looks a solid signing and, with Key arguably our standout performer this season, the writing looked to be on the wall for him. I think he's quietly done a really nice job at CB since McArdle has been injured. Do recall one misplaced pass, but also a number of crucial late interventions for which he doesn't always get the credit with the commentary team not as well sighted as those of us watching via i-Follow are. Fair play to him for knuckling down and forcing his way back in.

Right that'll do. Has turned into a bit of an essay, but if you're only going to post every couple of years, then there's going to be a bit of stream of consciousness going on.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
So far so good. Like others have said we don't appear to be at our best but this league is generally poor on quality and high on commitment and attitude. If we can keep the attitude good then our bit of quality should be enough to see us through.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Frankly, I am very happy so far.

I think it's easy to underestimate the impact on players (of all teams) playing in empty stadiums, along with the major changes to the matchday routines, both home and away.

With those issues in mind, I have been overjoyed with the application and performance of our youngsters. None of them look out of place and several already look seriously good prospects. If ever justification for our academy were needed these lads are living evidence.

Williams is an enigma. Such skill at times, yet, frequently, the final decision (pass or shoot) seems to be the wrong choice. Sometimes knocked off the ball too easily. Needs more belief in his own abilities

My only real gripes are;

Why do we insist on taking, mostly, short corners? They rarely, if ever, bear fruit. I find that frustrating to watch.

Why do we not practice and, from time to time use, long throws? Williams, in particular, is very good at it, yet we never do it now (we used to). The Carlisle player taking them yesterday got the ball into the penalty area every time. OK, it didn't come off for them, but it easily could have.

We haven't had a consistently good free kick exponent since Matt Grimes.

8/10 overall at this stage.

JayPob94

If you offered me the position we are in right now at the start of the season, I probably wouldn't of believed you. Not only are we in a good position;
. the players are on form
. we are keeping clean sheets
. our best players are yet to hit their best form
. the youngsters (especially randall and key) are outstanding, and will only get better

We have lots of money in the bank to keep the club not only afloat, but to potentially invest in january to push on. However I do have a few worries;
. losing ward is massive. The same as last season, he picks up form then gets injured. I really hope he can come back fit.
. I still sometimes question MTs approach, sometimes we are so defensive it hurts
. we miss a goal scorer, and I worry this Ajose situation will be causing some disruption in the dressing room
. our reliance on Jake Taylor and Pierce Sweeney concerns me. they are the only common denominators in all 3 play off final defeats still left in this squad.

But hey... we are flying, and we look solid. If one week we lose 4-0, you can bet your mortgage on us keeping a clean sheet the next week.

But as always as an ECFC fan, its the hope that kills us

Pobbop

Winning whilst playing not so well is great, but it does remind me of the time under MT when we started the season very well, winning 1-0 a lot with results better than performances.

In the last four games we have got 10 points when on performance, chances and balance of play we probably deserved six points at most. Without those four extra points we would be 12th (where pre season I predicted we'd finish). If the wheel turns on our fortune we will quickly drift back to mid table. So a long way to go.

So I'm in the same camp as the likes of MT (who said something about us being a long way from being the best side in the division) and TPC's proper caution.

Of course youth have been great. Key and Randall have been a revelation. Key looks good enough to play in the Championship in the not too distant future.
We should have on balance of play tonked Southend, and at least drawn with Port Vale (they scored their only 2 shots on target and we had 62% possesion), so give us those points if you are doing what ifs, but in the end the points you get is what you get (regular Forest Gump me).

Think we've played many teams that were favoured for the title so far, also comfortably beat a team above us, so don't think we are remotely in a false position. MT has to talk us down it is his job to manage expectations.

budegrecian

We should have on balance of play tonked Southend, and at least drawn with Port Vale (they scored their only 2 shots on target and we had 62% possesion), so give us those points if you are doing what ifs, but in the end the points you get is what you get (regular Forest Gump me).

Think we've played many teams that were favoured for the title so far, also comfortably beat a team above us, so don't think we are remotely in a false position. MT has to talk us down it is his job to manage expectations.
Salford were fortunate to get a point from us too. So it's all balancing out one way or another.