• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

£1m for Grimes

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
^^^^^ Here Here. ^^^^^^^
Indeed. And WHEN he chooses to move onwards and upwards it will be in the knowledge that, whatever happens in the future, he'd ALWAYS be welcome back!

Just as Deano and Young George will be
(but NOT Quisling Phillips. :( )

athenasbra

Just wondered how much it would cost to extend/improve the away end? Surely we could do with a 1 mil. plus investment.

budegrecian

Tagzy.

If anyone deserves a "loyalty bonus" its OUR Grimesinho for happily signing a new contract last summer (despite much interest, even then, from other suitors)

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/Matt-Grimes-focused-Exeter-City-future-despite/story-21119417-detail/story.html

In particular, the comment

Now that's what I call loyalty! And if that little signature has brought 1M+ plus back to the club that nurtured him then, I 4-1, say BRAVO - and I don't begrudge the lad a penny of any enhanced earnings for himself now.

He could have walked away as a "free agent" to his own enrichment, but didn't. In this venal world of football nowadays that is such a refreshing thing
Let's hope he gives young Ethan similar advice before he leaves.

Just wondered how much it would cost to extend/improve the away end? Surely we could do with a 1 mil. plus investment.
Personally I wouldn't bother unless we were in the Championship as you simply do not get the numbers of away fans at our level to justify it over other opportunities with ECFC's traveling army as a possible exception. It we spent £1million on the away end and we got crowds of 68 away fans like against Burton I for one would be pretty frustrated to be honest. :)

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Personally I wouldn't bother unless we were in the Championship as you simply do not get the numbers of away fans at our level to justify it over other opportunities with ECFC's traveling army as a possible exception. It we spent £1million on the away end and we got crowds of 68 away fans like against Burton I for one would be pretty frustrated to be honest. :)
If we build a new stand behind the goal we don't have to give it to away fans all the time. Most clubs could be given a block in the o.g or the wts, and the ones that bring a decent support can have the new stand.

Avening Posse

Agree, even if just some of any cash to stick a simple roof structure on it and improve the loo's etc would be a step forward, it's an embarrassment

motorservices

If true this is great news for Matt and ECFC

Great times ahead i believe

PeteUSA

Agree, even if just some of any cash to stick a simple roof structure on it and improve the loo's etc would be a step forward, it's an embarrassment
Theres been no improvement to the 'away end' in 70 years to my knowledge. Why do anything now, it serves the purpose?

I can't believe there are some who want to spend (waste) the money on the away end. When considering what to do with investing the money you should be thinking what return you are going to get from that investment.

I can't see any return by investing it in refurbishing the away end. Even if as has been suggested, that it could be refurbished for use by our own fans and providing seats in the ends of the WTS or OG for away fans. But we have more than adequate vacant space for our own fans, all that would happen would be a transfer of some of our fans to the away end.

I hope that we do not waste a single penny of it on the away end.

Last edited:

ALOTBSOL

It we spent £1million on the away end and we got crowds of 68 away fans like against Burton I for one would be pretty frustrated to be honest.
Isn't the horrific state of our away end facilities part of the reason we never get many away fans in the first place? I'm not agreeing that we should spend the transfer fees on it, but if we did spend something, then I'm sure we would see an increase in visiting support. From some clubs anyway.

Personally- The majority of the money should go back into our relatively underfunded academy. It's always the case that when we sell on a player, the money is spent on the first team or something to do with the first team, despite the fact that it's the academy who has paid for the majority of that players development. I would like to see us move a bit closer to the Crewe model, where they pump a decent amount of money into their academy each year knowing that they will reap the benefits with the players coming through.