• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Var

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Get you. Yes you're right, I'll take up following a League 2 club.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster

Stelios

Not happy with it so far. I get the need to correct the absolute stinker (Thierry Henry handball etc). An objective clear decision. I don't have a problem with that. But talk about a pandoras box. It could fundamentally ruin the most popular game in the world. It doesn't need a massive wholesale change. It's a great game.

How far back do you go? How many replays do you watch? A subjective decision is still subjective no matter how many times you look at it? Football is odd because most of the time the ball is out of play but it doesn't lend itself to breaks in play. I can't watch American Football because it stops every 5 seconds.

Has anyone thought to ask players to stop cheating? Managers stop supporting their players diving? If a player appeals for a penalty, free kick, throw-in or corner then book them. They aren't the ref. Let referees ref.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The key is around correcting the "absolute stinker" as described here. As yet, VAR has not been used to correct these, rather observe on extremely marginal decisions that in some cases rest on whether the camera freezes on the correct frame.

And far from discouraging cheating, in the last case it seemed to encourage it, Salah throwing himself theatrically to the ground when the defender's arm deigned to brush up against him.

To clear up matters of indisputable fact, yes, I can see a rationale for it. Where it is down to interpretation then leave well alone.

Meanwhile sod the continuity that provides the enjoyment to the watching public. Instead let's wait 20 minutes while the ref decides if the defender's arm brushing up against the prostrate forward is enough to justify awarding a penalty (to the home side).

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pardew's an idiot. Blaming VAR for injuries because they're stood around and need to stay warmed up - what do they do at half time then, or when there's an injury, or any other hold up that takes more than a couple of minutes? as for not knowing what was happening and being in the dark - about what? Genuinely what did he think was happening? It was blatantly obvious VAR was being consulted so what else did he need to know? They came to a decision in the end but all he really needed to know was that VAR was being consulted and wait for the decision.

Stelios

The key is around correcting the "absolute stinker" as described here. As yet, VAR has not been used to correct these, rather observe on extremely marginal decisions that in some cases rest on whether the camera freezes on the correct frame.

And far from discouraging cheating, in the last case it seemed to encourage it, Salah throwing himself theatrically to the ground when the defender's arm deigned to brush up against him.
It's similar to cricket where it was designed to eliminate the 'howler'. The clear inside edge on an LBW or the caught behind that came off the thigh bad. But now it's used to determine in grey areas and is not always satisfactory (e.g Umpire's Call).

Yes I thought Salah dived too but all the pundits said clear pen because there was contact. I thought if anything he was tugged back but he fell forward so surely that's simulation? That's where it's going to get messy. Same with every Zaha/Sterling/Vardy penalty. They look for contact and dive. The replay will show contact so they will give a penalty.

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Slows the game down - and takes away the opinion or chat.....

Get rid

Terryhall

Slows the game down - and takes away the opinion or chat.....

Get rid
"Takes away the opinion or chat" - yes, because nobody at all is talking about VAR... :S

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
England vs Wales at Twickenham yesterday. Wales "scored" a try and the referee correctly "went upstairs" to give the TMO the chance to adjudicate. Looks to many people including the entire Welsh nation that it was the TMO who made the howler, so what of it ? All the TV angles could not conclusively prove that the Welsh touched the ball down so No Try, the ref could have called that but the technology was there so they used it.

Rugby has been using TV to make decisions for years and it's not perfect and never will be. It will be the same in football.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
The next instalment of the saga of the Wales "try" has played out with World Rugby saying that the TMO got it wrong.

The Welsh are aggrieved. The TMO is undermined. But the referee is blameless and gets off scot free. What a mess.