• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Our Keepers..

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hopefully its OK to start a thread dedicated to our various goalkeeping custodians in general, as opposed to naming names, so to speak. This will no doubt involve Hamon, and whoever else the next academy prospect is. The idea is not for keeper 'bashing' or aportioning blame, but to discuss spin-off topics like top drawer saves etc. I'll start if I may by suggesting that Pym is greatly improved and is having an excellent season. He is certainly playing his part in us being third in League 2. He's still working on a couple of aspects, but nothing too troubling.

Angus

Pete our academy isn't there to try and bring amazing players into our first team. It's there to create good young players into multi million pound players to sell. Keepers don't make that sort of dollar at the moment, if they did would we not have made a few bob more then we have in the last few years. We've had and lost some really talented keepers.

PeteUSA

Pete our academy isn't there to try and bring amazing players into our first team. It's there to create good young players into multi million pound players to sell.
Understood Angus, point taken. I know that regretfully we'll ultimately lose exceptional players; thats the way the club appears to be set up. My hope though is that they'll get to their desired level having played for us a bit, as Pym is now doing to further achieve their aspirations.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Pete, didn't you once say Ross Bellotti had more potential than Peter Schmeichel.

Angus

Understood Angus, point taken. I know that regretfully we'll ultimately lose exceptional players; thats the way the club appears to be set up. My hope though is that they'll get to their desired level having played for us a bit, as Pym is now doing to further achieve their aspirations.
When we keep these players for as long as possible it ruins any possible transfer for anything above a million. I say we sell them when they look half decent before anyone finds out they're not that good.

Look at Tom Nicholls for example. Got money and a sell on ��

PeteUSA

Look at Tom Nicholls for example. Got money and a sell on ��
I suppose that could be said of Matt Grimes; I would have thought he might wind up back with us in another season or so.

PeteUSA

Pete, didn't you once say Ross Bellotti had more potential than Peter Schmeichel.
No, that wasnt me; but on the topic of Schmeichel Snr. I do think he played a season or so too long in the top flight. It works both ways.

Angus

He's not been injured yet so I expect tisdale will wait till his in his 40's and slightly injury prone

PeteUSA

He's not been injured yet so I expect tisdale will wait till his in his 40's and slightly injury prone
I thought that was Tisdales criteria more recently, judging by some of the hasbeen journeymen he continued to bring in until fairly recently; Parkin being a prime example.

Red Devon

Rumours on social media of Pym going in January and Paul Jones returning to the club.