• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Shrewsbury Town Matchday Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
What a great second half. Thought it was going to be 3-3 with that shot towards the very end that must have missed by an inch. Getting that goal straight after the start helped enormously, especially in the belief of the players and the crowd.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Cracking game of football....again. Good football played at a great tempo with lots of tackles flying in.

Hamon was at fault for the first but not helped by Noble losing the ball on the halfway line and nobody closing the shot. What the highlights won't show were the two excellent saves Hamon made at 0-2.

Keohane and Cummins also missed a sitter each in the first half. Could easily have been 3-5 at the break.

Second half we dominated and the spirit was excellent despite being behind. Good that we went for the win having got it back to 2-2.

Referee was beyond atrocious. Lawrence should have been sent off twice.
Agree with all of that.

The pivotal moment looking back was Hamon's one on one save from Collins on 41 minutes. Without that we would have been 3 down. In truth, Collins was more at fault for striker's greed. Matey who had gone with him was unmarked and would have had a simple tap in if Collins had passed instead of going for glory.

Sarge the ref had a mare. Inconsistent understates it. As well as Lawrence, Goldson deserved to go as he was niggling at Cummins and pinching him in the back throughout the game before he was booked. A complete count. How their keeper escaped a yellow for blatant time wasting is also beyond me. Their pocket battleship Woods (4) really impressed me and all round they look a decent outfit.

As for us, it was really an all round team effort and we showed tremendous spirit to turn around from 0-2.

UTC

Last edited:

rp42

2-0 up and you fecked it up 2-0 up and you fecked it up............OPPS sorry that was SO last week....WELL DONE all that took part today..UNBELIEVABLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Pobbop

Agree with all of that.

The pivotal moment looking back was Hamon's one on one save from Collins on 41 minutes. Without that we would have been 3 down. In truth, Collins was more at fault for striker's greed. Matey who had gone with him was unmarked and would have had a simple tap in if Collins had passed instead of going for glory.

Sarge the ref had a mare. Inconsistent understates it. As well as Lawrence, Goldson deserved to go as he was niggling at Cummins and pinching him in the back throughout the game before he was booked. A complete count. How their keeper escaped a yellow for blatant time wasting is also beyond me. Their pocket battleship Woods (4) really impressed me and all round they look a decent outfit.

As for us, it was really an all round team effort and we showed tremendous spirit to turn around from 0-2.

UTC
Best oppo player I've seen in this division for awhile in the first half, will play much higher, I reckon.

Not sure what to say about the match that won't border on cliche, so I'll leave it to the more eloquent. Just to say I was pretty chuffed at the end of the match. It is hopefully a result that will give us real belief for the rest of the season.

mdg

well- last year 2-0 down, and it would have been all over - there is now a different feel to the side- tremendous result

Thought Oakley again was brilliant, Butters andRibs also good - Sercs not in the game first half, but much better in the 2nd

Wheeler, what a difference he made

Man of the match - their No 4- as good a anyone I've seen at this level

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have got to be honest at 0-2 I did say to my chauffeur I am going home! thank god I didn't, that was one of the best games for a long time at SJP. Roll on Accrington!
(P.s never left a game early)
:D

Pobbop

I have got to be honest at 0-2 I did say to my chauffeur I am going home! thank god I didn't, that was one of the best games for a long time at SJP. Roll on Accrington!
(P.s never left a game early)
:D
Many people did today though, serves 'em right:D

A Slacker

It is just so hard to believe that this squad of players are playing at this level and with this intensity. At 2-0 down at HT I thought we would lose the game but wasn't overly hacked off as at times we had played very well and if we had been more clinical we could have scored a couple ourselves while their first was a shocker from Hamer (who redeemed himself with some great saves during the rest of the game).

We don't often score early goals in the second half but their defence left Tom Nicholls completely free and he finished well. Game on. From then on we dominated and Shrewsbury were happy to sit back and soak it up. Wheeler scored a cracking header and I haven't a clue how the third went in but it did. Nichols made some great runs, particularly in the second half and looks full of confidence whereas Cummins does not.

The change in formation for the second half with the back three and Grimes much more central worked brilliantly. We were able to stroke the ball around at will as everyone (with no Bennett today) was very comfortable on the ball. I can't honestly see where Bennett comes back into this side for Friday night.

The ref was a humourless git who bottled some very big decisions.

This is the best football, the best atmosphere and the best team spirit that I have seem at the park since the 8th Place in Div 1 season. Can't get enough of it.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Current Full form table......

Pobbop

It is just so hard to believe that this squad of players are playing at this level and with this intensity. At 2-0 down at HT I thought we would lose the game but wasn't overly hacked off as at times we had played very well and if we had been more clinical we could have scored a couple ourselves while their first was a shocker from Hamer (who redeemed himself with some great saves during the rest of the game).

We don't often score early goals in the second half but their defence left Tom Nicholls completely free and he finished well. Game on. From then on we dominated and Shrewsbury were happy to sit back and soak it up. Wheeler scored a cracking header and I haven't a clue how the third went in but it did. Nichols made some great runs, particularly in the second half and looks full of confidence whereas Cummins does not.

The change in formation for the second half with the back three and Grimes much more central worked brilliantly. We were able to stroke the ball around at will as everyone (with no Bennett today) was very comfortable on the ball. I can't honestly see where Bennett comes back into this side for Friday night.

The ref was a humourless git who bottled some very big decisions.

This is the best football, the best atmosphere and the best team spirit that I have seem at the park since the 8th Place in Div 1 season. Can't get enough of it.
Whilst I agree that we probably played better football without Bennett, I felt we probably missed him defensively, particularly in the first half, they were making a lot of runs through our mid-field.