• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Former Players

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think it was Stuart Dawe who was the main man involved in getting Bally back into football management at City.
Remember him now,it has jogged my memory,when Bally was first appointed he met the supporters club in the boardroom under the Grandstand & Stuart Dawe was with him..Only about 20 of us there,I found it fascinating listening to him,his passion & vision..

I always felt proud that Alan Ball with his legendary status playing the game,was our manager at the time

malcolms

You will probably remember malcs,was Allen Trump responsible for bringing Bally to Exeter ?.
I seem to recall Ivor Doble was suspended from football activity at the time because of the FIGT(?) fiddle.

Trump did not seem popular for some reason(must be something in the name) during his time at the club,despite the manager being backed with money for transfers.
Allen Trump was before my time...Heard loads of stories about him though...Perhaps the most famous being the flooding of the pitch to ensure a game we didn't want played, didn't happen... (sorry about the double negative)

DanceMagnet

Remember him now,it has jogged my memory,when Bally was first appointed he met the supporters club in the boardroom under the Grandstand & Stuart Dawe was with him..Only about 20 of us there,I found it fascinating listening to him,his passion & vision..

I always felt proud that Alan Ball with his legendary status playing the game,was our manager at the time
Incredible that Bally could have left the game of football altogether after the appalling vitriol he suffered from Stoke fans. His time at City apparently provided renewed enthusiasm and he went on to manage Man City following his time here.

Some people suggest that Tis was harshly treated by City fans last year, but that was nothing compared to the treatment handed out by Stoke fans. Being the man he was, he apparently bore no grudges...

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stoke-city-alan-ball-1234058

IndoMike

Magnet,

From the article you linked :
Some people suggest that Tis was harshly treated by City fans last year, but that was nothing compared to the treatment handed out by Stoke fans. Bally's grandson :
"Dad was a believer that the fans are the club because they pay their money and if they’re not happy they make themselves heard. And if you’re the manager, you’ve got to take that pressure and deliver".

Yes, no sulking from Bally. Great player, ran his heart out and salt of the earth. Managers now have highly paid jobs and should bite the bullet and respect the fans.

Last edited:

Antony Moxey

I thought it was season ticket holders. Both me and one of my brothers went - he was someone you could listen to all night. He had a little chuckle when asked about potential signings when Shelton had signed loads of players already. Bally smiled and said ahh, but he’s got to pay their wages throughout the summer, we don’t need to spend all our money quite so early. Superb stuff.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ollie scores again for Brentford at Burton to seal their win. 11 for the season so far from 37 games.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
And Manny Oyeleke gets the winner for Aldershot to take them into the playoff places/

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ollie scores again for Brentford at Burton to seal their win. 11 for the season so far from 37 games.
terrific return for a first season, though for me was hardly unexpected, for ollie imo the championship is easily within his capabilties, the next step WILL be testing but i'm absolutely sure he can do it, and in 4 to 5 years he'll be on the verge or in the england squad

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

citizen

According to twitter former City keeper Martyn Rice joins Exmouth Town.