• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Could we bring this thread to a close by having a highlights reel of the best and funniest comments and all have a good laugh at ourselves? Just a thought…..

Or you leave it dormant until the likely day the manager does get the boot (because that’s what usually happens to most managers eventually) 🤷‍♂️
I don't think he'll get the boot, far more likely to go to a Championship club in the middle of next season when we're 5th.

I've said it before, but every manager since McNab has been better than his predecessor. It will be a massive challenge to keep this run going when GC leaves and one we are unlikely to achieve tbh...

Grecian Max

I've said it before, but every manager since McNab has been better than his predecessor. It will be a massive challenge to keep this run going when GC leaves and one we are unlikely to achieve tbh...
Oh that opens up a new can of worms!

Peters v Dolan
Dolan v Tisdale
Tisdale v Taylor
Taylor v Caldwell

All good managers in their time period for different reasons, the Tisdale v Taylor in particular is a tight battle IMO

supernova

Peters v Dolan
Dolan v Tisdale
Tisdale v Taylor
Taylor v Caldwell

All good managers in their time period for different reasons, the Tisdale v Taylor in particular is a tight battle IMO
🏳

supernova

I don't think he'll get the boot, far more likely to go to a Championship club in the middle of next season when we're 5th.

Caldwell too is still young in manager years, I think people forget that sometimes! (The same age as sir David Noble who was just sacked at Wealdstone - the worst possible comparison I can make I know)

Last edited:

arthur

Peters v Dolan
Dolan v Tisdale
Tisdale v Taylor
Taylor v Caldwell

You forgot Inglethorpe. Taylor v Tisdale no contest imho if you judge the respective managers' quality at the time of the handover. I will never forget the sheer joy of Taylor's first game - Carlisle iirc and three new signings all scored goals. A complete contrast to the crabby football and the embracing of victim status of his predecessor

grecIAN Harris

Peters v Dolan
Dolan v Tisdale
Tisdale v Taylor
Taylor v Caldwell

You missed Inglethorpe from Dolan and then to Tisdale.

Rosencrantz

Can't beat a bit of self flagulation ........................ so I read
And that flag will be the Super Gary Caldwell flag 😉

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Technically, Perryman/Hiley followed Eamo...

grecIAN Harris

Peters v Dolan
Dolan v Tisdale
Tisdale v Taylor
Taylor v Caldwell

Peters was probably better than Dolan but Eamo was the right man to do the right job in the awful situation we found ourselves in. I don't think Peters could have handled it so in that respect an improvement.
Eamo didn't really want to be manager in the first place but needs must so he could only take us down far, Inglethorpe had the drive and ambition to drive us on that Eamo's enthusiasm couldn't/wouldn't. Again another step up.
Tisdale for the first six/seven years gave us the most innovative manager we've ever had, was the architect of our most prized asset in terms of the academy and therefore arguably be the best manager we've ever had but, in spite of the countless players off finals, got stale and lost it staining all that had gone on before so from Inglethorpe definitely an improvement. The argument as to whether Taylor depends on where you take your viewpoint from. The end game Tis had become stale and tedious and we needed freshing up and Taylor built on what Tis had provided him, our best ever crop of Academy products. The overall picture is Tis arguably our best manager which tells it's own story.
Taylor to Caldwell........ that depends on your view of the modern game. Caldwell is a disciple of it and, if you like it, 18 months down the line he is getting the fruits of a lot of hard work to show us what it looks like at St James' Park. He brings with him his own experiences from a better playing career and knowing how to pass on that knowledge and experience which can surely only be an improvement. Proof will probably be in the pudding next season on that.........

Grecian Max

I did indeed!

Dolan v Inglethorpe is another tight battle I think

Personally preferred the 03/04 football to 05/06 for instance. Absolute hoofing fest.

Taylor played the way I liked and Tisdale annoyed me a lot (I wanted him gone for years) but from an overall record it's a close one. Tisdale set us on the road to being known as a footballing side and his legacy is probably greater than that of Taylors. And like I say, my preference was the Taylor years.

So I'm not too sure about each manager being better than the predecessor - I just think we have appointed exceptionally well.

The Caldwell one was a bit of a wildcard after Taylor but after 18 months it looks to be paying off.

Last edited: