• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Cheltenham Town v Exeter City Matchday Thread.

eurogrecian

I’ve been a bit frustrated sometimes this season about GC’s insistence on playing out from the back, but when I watched Cheltenham’s hit n hope stuff today I must say it was good to watch, especially with Woods in the middle.
Good to see Sercs still strutting his stuff and he didn’t have a bad game either.
UTC

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was certainly one of those who have doubted the manager on several fronts but I'm glad he has been able to turn things around well done Geary Cladwell.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well if we can't do better than Eisa we're DOOMED
I think his signing has proved the opposite of that.

The strikes we signed in January have added the square route of FA, yet our form has been so much better. Woods is a big part of the reason why, IMO. Need to secure that kind of player (hopefully Woods himself) for next season if we're to succeed with Caldwellball.

We can survive without a prolific striker. If that wasn't the case, we wouldn't be celebrating safety tonight.

Antony Moxey

He put in plenty of effort today. I think there was a mascot job going recently if you want a role where you could offer something.
Put Eisa in there, he’s not much good for anything else if you’re that desperate for him to stay.

haka

2-1 win - pressure all on the home side. Cox and Cole and a sniff of finishing the season with more points and a higher placing. SGC flag gets taken out of storage for Saturday :)
Have a well earned glass of smug .... :)

larrywilkie

Was that Eisa 1 on 1 sitter offside or something? Not included in the highlights. I hope it was

Alistair20000

Great player, the sort of player we've needed for years.
Ironically though I thought his chance was easier than Eisa's!
Ryan Woods has never been a prolific goal scorer. Just 4 in over 400 appearances and none since the 2017/18 season

Rosencrantz

We controlled the first half completely and should have had a lead going into half time. Mo had a couple of good chances, firstly rolling wide and then turning a cross straight at Southwood. Either side of him and it probably would have been a goal. Woods also sneaked into the penalty area and forced Southwood to tip over after Ilmari's shot was blocked.

The second half was much more even after Cheltenham's change of shape and new left side. The 4-2-3-1 made it more difficult to play out and they had more territory and balls into the box than the first half. We didn't deal with that early on, not clearing when we had chances to which led to their opener. But we still stuck to playing through lines and our equaliser came from that. Luke did well to recover possession in the final third, Aitch's driving run and layoff took the 'nam defence away and Carroll's clever ball back into Luke was finished well.

The penalty looked harsh from where I was sitting but having watched it back, Freestone turned away from the shot and left his hand up beside his head rather than in front as I initially thought. It gave the ref a decision to make. I think that is our first penalty since the eighth minute of the season. Reece didn't disappoint. We had to see out some pressure in injury time as did the ref with a few penalty shouts from the crowd and players. Neither succumbed to that pressure.

The back did well on the whole despite very different halves of football for them to face. Woods looked imperious again. Luke did well and picked up a lot of pockets of space all game, topped by a composed goal. The guys with the soppers did well at half time 🙂.

We have reached that 50 point mark with five games to spare. Now let's match or better last season's finish. After a substantial rebuild and all the autumn misery, that would be a decent platform to attack the close season.

fred binneys head

Lolz at Rosy’s use of ‘nam for Cheltenham.

“You weren’t there man, you weren’t there”.