• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
So your'e happy with the risk of L2 football then and losing our best players who want to play higher up ?
We're not getting relegated. Even a blind man can see that.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
We're not getting relegated. Even a blind man can see that.
Sorry can't hear you !

Average Joe

Sorry can't hear you !
Fog is right, we are not getting relegated, this year.

There's 10 points in it now, and 8 teams below us

When the last game of the season is played and were still a league 1 team, we need to thank GC for this season

Best cup run in years beating prem teams, some good results against big teams in this league, and we've maintained out league 1 membership.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry don't understand your logic. Football fan's thought processes are often idiotic because it focuses on short term results to the exclusion of anything else.
You don't understand Max's point, even though it's a very, very simple one? I don't believe you, but just in case you are being genuine I'll spell it out. Our run of absolutely dreadful form in which we couldn't buy a win and barely scored a goal lasted much longer than Argyle's current blip. Ours was record breakingly bad.

There is a fine line between the short term and the long term in football. Had that run carried on another month or had other teams beneath us gone about their own business a bit more effectively, relegation would have been highly likely. That isn't a short term implication - it took us a full decade to bounce back to League One last time.

Of course we're all delighted that Caldwell has managed to reduce the season to the extent that we look almost safe. And if gives you the opportunity to be incredibly self-righteous about your 'long termism' as if the outcome of survival through sticking with GC was an inevitability. It wasn't. You didn't know, I didn't know, the board didn't know, Caldwell himself didn't know. Your level of patience and tolerance of terrible football, baffling managerial decisions and a dirth of goals was simply greater than many other supporters. But that doesn't make those supporters wrong, nor does it make you a soothsaying genius.

It's worked out well, but I still believe that sacking Caldwell after the Fleetwood away defeat would have been entirely justified and that any half decent manager (and yes, we absolutely would have been able to recruit one) with this good squad of players and the poor standard of the bottom third of this league would have kept us up.

Last edited:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
You don't understand Max's point, even though it's a very, very simple one? I don't believe you, but just in case you are being genuine I'll spell it out. Our run of absolutely dreadful form in which we couldn't buy a win and barely scored a goal lasted much longer than Argyle's current blip. Ours was record breakingly bad.

There is a fine line between the short term and the long term in football. Had that run carried on another month or had other teams beneath us gone about their own business a bit more effectively, relegation would have been highly likely. That isn't a short term implication - it took us a full decade to bounce back to League One last time.

Of course we're all delighted that Caldwell has managed to reduce the season to the extent that we look almost safe. And if gives you the opportunity to be incredibly self-righteous about your 'long termism' as if the outcome of survival through sticking with GC was an inevitability. It wasn't. You didn't know, I didn't know, the board didn't know, Caldwell himself didn't know. Your level of patience and tolerance of terrible football, baffling managerial decisions and a dirth of goals was simply greater than many other supporters. But that doesn't make those supporters wrong, nor does it make you a soothsaying genius.

It's worked out well, but I still believe that sacking Caldwell after the Fleetwood away defeat would have been entirely justified and that any half decent manager (and yes, we absolutely would have been able to recruit one) with this good squad of players and the poor standard of the bottom third of this league would have kept us up.
The point I would make to this is, if Caldwell had been fired after Fleetwood away, no one here would miss him at all, whatever results happened following that and whatever there opinion of him at that time was. If he had been fired, it would have been justified beyond belief.

Most of this season has been depressingly poor, with little to no entertainment, a terrible goals scored record and we have probably in part been saved by how dreadful the bottom third of league one is this season as much as we have by our own football, but ultimately it looks like we will achieve another season in league one and that deep down is all that matters, but between now, the end of the season and next season, GC, the tactical approach and also the players have to show more overall than they have done this season thus far and show they can be much more effective in games on a more consistent basis. Whilst the most important part of the points tally is ok, the rest of it has been largely poor, but again deep down, as long as we stay up, then to a degree it is job done.

JCWhoosh

I know we have gone round in circles with GC and the fact he was walking on a very long tightrope but if we had of sacked him, we may not have had the funds to strengthen in January. Woods, Purrington have really strengthened our weak areas and Alli looks great as a future prospect. Also, would we have been able to tie Cox down to a new contract that would obviously have cost a lot of money. Its all hyperthetical but winning games isn't necessarily the only only thing that a club like ours have to prioritise.

supernova

Of course we're all delighted that Caldwell has managed to reduce the season to the extent that we look almost safe.
I do feel, such as this quote suggests, expectation about our fortunes this season in some quarters were stuff of fairytale.

It would have been great to be competing for play offs, but until serious investment arrives, I’ll take maintaining our League One status every season until the cows come home.

The debate about how many seasons GC should get to fulfil this yearly objective is debatable. But given Lord Paul Tisdale got us relegated from League One and kept his job I suspect this thread is only in its infancy 😂

Last edited:

Bat Fastard

decent result last night but still the least entertaining season i've seen unfortunately. hopefully next year's better

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do feel, such as this quote suggests, expectation about our fortunes this season in some quarters were stuff of fairytale.

It would have been great to be competing for play offs, but until serious investment arrives, I’ll take maintaining our League One status every season until the cows come home.

The debate about how many seasons GC should get to fulfil this yearly objective is debatable. But given Lord Paul Tisdale got us relegated from League One and kept his job I suspect this thread is only in its infancy 😂
Typo on my part, I had meant 'Of course we're all delighted that Caldwell has managed to rescue the season to the extent that we look almost safe.'

I, and I think the majority of others, was under no illusion that this season was all about survival (even after our excellent start). But that doesn't mean the manager can be excused of decisions that simply aren't getting the best out of the squad, which I think has been the case for much of the campaign.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sorry don't understand your logic. Football fan's thought processes are often idiotic because it focuses on short term results to the exclusion of anything else.
Earlier in the season we had a manager and team at a really low ebb with unprecedented injuries trying to survive at the highest level that this club has ever reached. We were and are playing against teams often with a budget, History and pedigree far superior to ours. Maybe at that point we should have scoured the leagues for the next Pep or Sir Alex but at that point we were more likely to get the next Paul Buckle... Anyway I'm very happy with our manager and looking forward to what the future brings...
'Really low ebb'. I guess that's one way of describing one of the worst runs of results and performances in the club's history.