• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

Mid Devon Grecian

I don't think we'll finish 13th or go down, but neither outcome is hugely unlikely. My point is that subjectively (to me at least) it's been largely terrible this season, but if we finish reasonably well, you could make the case that the seasons been a rare high point. I think that's why people are so divided... Different perspectives see the season as terrible or close to resounding success.
You can definitely make an argument for avoiding relegation being a further step to the mission of becoming a sustainable Lg1 club.

It’s also most definitely not been an enjoyable season if you only go to home games.

Red red

Well I decided to become a keyboard warrior.
I have decided not to go to the game Saturday and it really hurts.
People who know me will understand
But I really now believe Caldwell is the problem.
I have not felt this until the Derby game and especially the Fleetwood
Game .
He blamed the players for not reacting to Fleetwood making 4 changes and putting an almighty amount
Of pressure on us but what did he do nothing until they scored, this is not the first time he has done this.
He cannot read a game at all.
Everyone I was stood with on the bank asked for changes.
Nothing.
I am not a Caldwell out supporter or a happy clapper but we will not move forward under Caldwell with his starter finisher rubbish.
He is worse than Tisdale at playing Fifa
Hence I will not be there Saturday
We I think will not be relegated but it’s a stay of execution

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
You can definitely make an argument for avoiding relegation being a further step to the mission of becoming a sustainable Lg1 club.

It’s also most definitely not been an enjoyable season if you only go to home games.
I've only been to one away game this season. Bolton. That wasn't very enjoyable either.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
The likelihood of us finishing 13th is vanishingly small. Scoring goals particularly at home is paramount, I can’t believe the number of people that show up to home games. I can hardly bear to watch the BBC web site And use Exeternil as my main password.
Well done for sharing your main password on a public forum. Can you remind me who you bank with?

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
We’re 16th currently we finished 14th from memory last season so right now we’ve gone backwards….

We may finish 14th in fairness.

In reality finishing 14th , 15th or 16th makes zero difference as long as your above the relegation zone but it would be nice to think we could at least match last seasons finish just to cling onto something.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think we'll finish 13th or go down, but neither outcome is hugely unlikely. My point is that subjectively (to me at least) it's been largely terrible this season, but if we finish reasonably well, you could make the case that the seasons been a rare high point. I think that's why people are so divided... Different perspectives see the season as terrible or close to resounding success.
I don’t see for one moment how this carp and excruciatingly boring season can be considered ‘ close to resounding success’ in any way shape or form. But then , I suppose it will be heralded as such by all and sundry with a sense of relief if we narrowly escape demotion by a couple of points at the end of the season.
Does Caldwell ever learn though? Doesn’t seem to matter what resources he has available does it? For instance , folk talk about players we need for next season , forwards say who can do a job for us.Weren’t we supposed to get such resources in the last window? We hardly seem any better off now and Wildschut is still brought on in moments of desperation to frighten the opposition witless.Will it be the same miserable fare as we limp through next season? And when we lose our loan players at season’s end off we go again with another lot having the life wrung out of them and demoralised by Caldwell’s odd tactics in the next .
I can’t see it ever changing as he’s seemingly not capable of adapting to circumstances, like he’s just one track.And I thought Tis was stale at the end of his reign , this must be worse surely , a slow death.

Last edited:
I appreciate you are talking career averages, but Alex Inglethorpe attained 49.4% in 89 games with us. Eamo was 41.9% in 62 and Matt Taylor was actually 44.9% in 227.
In all fairness, at a club like ours, win percentage is a stat that I don't feel is a fair one to be used to compare managers unless you use it in comparable circumstances.

Matt managed us for a small period in League One and Eamo and Inglethorpe both managed us in the Conference. Where I would expect us to win far more games than we do in League One.

If you're going to fairly compare using this statistic, surely it needs to be across divisions managed, probably with, say, a minimum of 15 games managed.

I would imagine that Tisdale's would still be higher than Caldwell's in League One, but comparing a win percentage that includes wins against clubs like Leigh RMI and Stafford Rangers compared with the average side in League One - say a Lincoln and a Wigan - definitely isn't fair.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don’t see for one moment how this carp and excruciatingly boring season can be considered ‘ close to resounding success’
Well, for example, a half decent run sees us finish in a position we've only been higher than once in the last 40 years? Objectively, that's a decent season isn't it, when time passes and you just look back over finishing positions. And then you say oooh, let's check the gates to see how much people were into it. The highest gates as well ... What a treat must've been served up in 23/24!

Boyo

I would imagine that Tisdale's would still be higher than Caldwell's in League One, but comparing a win percentage that includes wins against clubs like Leigh RMI and Stafford Rangers compared with the average side in League One - say a Lincoln and a Wigan - definitely isn't fair.
In L1 under Tisdale we won 41 games out of 138, a win percentage of 29.7%, if my maths is correct.

Boyo

In L1 under Tisdale we won 41 games out of 138, a win percentage of 29.7%, if my maths is correct.
Also, for the four seasons we were in L1 in the early 1990s we won 52 games out of 184, a win percentage of 28.2%.

(Sorry to those people who don't like stats).

Last edited: