• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

Red Monster

If it wasn’t for the backlash from the fans during our terrible
run of results,there’s no way the board would have given GC
a large cash injection to spend in the transfer window.

Phil Sayers

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would have sacked him in mid-December due to the run we were on, the imminent transfer window, what looked an unbalanced / inadequate squad and due to not seeing any evidence that he may have been able to turn form around or bring the right players in (however I did also think Caldwell could legitimately say he had been unlucky in various respects such as the Mitchell injury). I would not have sacked either Tisdale or Taylor in the same circumstances as I had previously seen that they could turn such form around and strengthen the squad. First time in over twenty years that I wanted our manager fired.

Now glad we didn't (although Caldwell is lucky he is at this club in that respect as almost all others would have) and what has impressed me is how far and wide he / the recruitment team have searched for promising talent (despite the belief it is all from Scotland) and talent in a rut. Made some great signings - Harper from Eastleigh, Cole from Hayes and Yeading etc and been able to mix that with talent from above on loan (Jay Stansfield, Dion Rankine etc) along with L1 standard in their prime. If you look through the squad, positions they play in, ages of the players and where they have come from I hold my hands up and say it is a job well done, now getting the results warranted.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would have sacked him in mid-December due to the run we were on, the imminent transfer window, what looked an unbalanced / inadequate squad and due to not seeing any evidence that he may have been able to turn form around or bring the right players in (however I did also think Caldwell could legitimately say he had been unlucky in various respects such as the Mitchell injury). I would not have sacked either Tisdale or Taylor in the same circumstances as I had previously seen that they could turn such form around and strengthen the squad. First time in over twenty years that I wanted our manager fired.

Now glad we didn't (although Caldwell is lucky he is at this club in that respect as almost all others would have) and what has impressed me is how far and wide he / the recruitment team have searched for promising talent (despite the belief it is all from Scotland) and talent in a rut. Made some great signings - Harper from Eastleigh, Cole from Hayes and Yeading etc and been able to mix that with talent from above on loan (Jay Stansfield, Dion Rankine etc) along with L1 standard in their prime. If you look through the squad, positions they play in, ages of the players and where they have come from I hold my hands up and say it is a job well done, now getting the results warranted.
Stanno was signed by Matt Taylor. but agree with alot of the wider points.

We8Argyle

You’d be fighting relegation with whatever 2 bit manager was available in December. Let’s all thank our lucky stars we have Taggy at the helm & not Phil.

geoffwp

You’d be fighting relegation with whatever 2 bit manager was available in December. Let’s all thank our lucky stars we have Taggy at the helm & not Phil.
Absolutely hilarious

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I think it’s quite natural that some fans were worried and wanting a change. I am sure that ideally most people would rather not have to sack people if they felt things could improve but I guess there was a big lack of confidence and helplessness around in November and December when we generally couldn’t buy a goal. When times are tough I do think it’s very important that communication is clear and honest. If a performance is bad a manager has to be able to hold his hands up. If he reaches a point where he feels he can’t turn it around hopefully he comes out and says so.

The only thing the board could judge it on was how feelings were behind the scenes. The time to sack someone is when you think the manager is out of his depth or ideas, and/or when the players have lost belief. The club may have made a calculated call and got it right or they froze and got fortunate. I really can’t say for sure which it was but as long as everyone is on the same page and fighting hard I expect GC to be here long term.

JGrecian23

Are you Grecian Harris and Sturtz' love child?

elginCity

The club board 'froze and got fortunate' ? :ROFLMAO:

When you have the means (which we did), the fans are howling to get rid and threatening EGMs, it'd be the easiest thing in the world to sack the manager. The really difficult bit is finding someone better !

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster

Same, more or less.

cityfan47

I love this club we truly are unique and as much as we hate the board they are bleddy genuises