• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good luck with those Lez, A sure fire way to pass the Social Distancing, Other than this anything else in the pipeline?

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
just this at the moment.. ive a few to build but I wanted to get this one done before I visit Scotland when we next can so I can picture the model against the original

DB9

I genuinely thought those gaps like on the nosecone were a thing of the past, It's been years since I've had a model with gaps like that

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
tell me about it.. its only a 7 year old kit too....

Colesman Ballz

Does anybody else remember the Lightning that came to grief after it's display at an Exeter Airshow in the mid sixties ? It's final turn was a West to East high speed low level run before igniting it's afterburners and pulling up into a rapid ascent. What we took to be soot blasted out of the afterburners as it climbed. In fact it had suffered a bird strike and was vibrating itself to pieces. It was based for the display at St Mawgan, so turned and headed back west to the north of the Airport. Following it by telescope we saw a lump drop off it. This was recovered from a field and returned to the airport in the back of truck, and turned out to be an entire after burner unit. On its way back to St Mawgan even bits of the undercarriage were dropping off it, so the pilot just pointed it out to sea and safely ejected.

They were "all muscle" machines with twin engines mounted one above the other within the fuselage. A number were preserved in S.Africa, including twin seater trainer versions, and it became possible to book flights in them (for "an arm and a leg"). Don't know if it is still possible these days with "'elf n safety".

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Does anybody else remember the Lightning that came to grief after it's display at an Exeter Airshow in the mid sixties ? It's final turn was a West to East high speed low level run before igniting it's afterburners and pulling up into a rapid ascent. What we took to be soot blasted out of the afterburners as it climbed. In fact it had suffered a bird strike and was vibrating itself to pieces. It was based for the display at St Mawgan, so turned and headed back west to the north of the Airport. Following it by telescope we saw a lump drop off it. This was recovered from a field and returned to the airport in the back of truck, and turned out to be an entire after burner unit. On its way back to St Mawgan even bits of the undercarriage were dropping off it, so the pilot just pointed it out to sea and safely ejected.

They were "all muscle" machines with twin engines mounted one above the other within the fuselage. A number were preserved in S.Africa, including twin seater trainer versions, and it became possible to book flights in them (for "an arm and a leg"). Don't know if it is still possible these days with "'elf n safety".
Bit before my time lol.. I was born in 1979 :)

I realy like the lightning, there are some great videos on YouTube about the history of the plane. pilots had orgasms over flying it, mechanics claim a bar steward to maintain.. proper stuff of British legendary history

STURTZ

Lightning on permenant display mounted on a post in front of a garage on A38 near Liskeard.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Lightning on permenant display mounted on a post in front of a garage on A38 near Liskeard.
yes Roy Flood bought it, sadly its just a shell.. ive visited there years ago

Colesman Ballz

It is a F6 variant registration no XS925 at Castle Motors ! I am sure that Stuffy will be along to comment in due course !

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
It is a F6 variant registration no XS925 at Castle Motors ! I am sure that Stuffy will be along to comment in due course !
I think you're right

the airfix version used this version of the Lightning