• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I've read somewhere that an effective vaccine for Coronavirus is around three weeks away.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Proportionality is the issue Mike...14,000 people have died from flu (regular) in the same timeframe...People say 'oh but we have a cure for flu'.
But we don't actually know about the proportionality yet, Malcs
The medical profession know all about flu : they know when the flu season is and can make pretty good predictions about how many people will suffer from it, where and when.
The medical profession knows little about Coronavirus. Will it kill thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands? Will it last a couple of months or a year? They don't know. It's the uncertainty that is having the biggest impact.
And regarding proportionality : do you really know how many people have died from Coronavirus? Do you trust their data? Do they even know.
Hey, I haven't bought any masks or taken any precautions yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it
Just heard the Geneva Automobile Convention is cancelled. Things are gonna get worse before they get better.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I've read somewhere that an effective vaccine for Coronavirus is around three weeks away.
It needs to be subjected to a proper testing regime before release.

IndoMike

Maybe, if people react the same way as rats do to the vaccine..
No way, Jason..Unfortunately. You can't create a vaccine within a few weeks of the discovery of.a new virus

IndoMike

"It’s going to be a long time before a vaccine for the new coronavirus is available. But when it is, there’s no guarantee that it will be affordable for all Americans, according to Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar".

malcolms

But we don't actually know about the proportionality yet, Malcs
The medical profession know all about flu : they know when the flu season is and can make pretty good predictions about how many people will suffer from it, where and when.
The medical profession knows little about Coronavirus. Will it kill thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands? Will it last a couple of months or a year? They don't know. It's the uncertainty that is having the biggest impact.
And regarding proportionality : do you really know how many people have died from Coronavirus? Do you trust their data? Do they even know.
Hey, I haven't bought any masks or taken any precautions yet, but I'm sure I'll get around to it
Just heard the Geneva Automobile Convention is cancelled. Things are gonna get worse before they get better.
You react to the evidence you currently have, you don't assume a doomsday scenario. If you assume the information you are being given is wrong then you have to have some evidence to back that up.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, what I read as "three weeks" was actually just "weeks":

IndoMike

You react to the evidence you currently have, you don't assume a doomsday scenario. If you assume the information you are being given is wrong then you have to have some evidence to back that up.
Well, it seems the whole world disagrees with you, Malcs, judging from the number of major events which have been cancelled.
Are you right and they are all wrong? Is it collective hysteria or just taking responsible precautions?
And your comment about data from China is either naive (which I doubt) or quite frankly a cop-out.
You know that Chinese officials surpressed news of a strange virus which had appeared and even arrested the messenger?
The Chinese will always manipulate figures to make things look better than they really are. Their track record for honesty and transparency is not good

IndoMike

Sorry, what I read as "three weeks" was actually just "weeks":

Oh. The Daily Mail. Right
Did you actually read the article that you posted?
The drug will be ready three months after testing "if" and "if" and "if".
How long do you think the testing will take?
Yes, it will be ready in weeks. About 50 weeks?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's in numerous sources, I just happened to pick the first one. And yes, I did read it.