• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
"PM, Your absence and couldn't care less attitude to those suffering the worst floods in years along with your Cabinet is a disgrace"
Politicians (even BJ) can’t win on this.
Don’t turn up to a disaster area and you supposedly don’t care. Do turn up and you get accused of using the situation for photo ops and interfering with the efforts of the emergency/environmental services etc.

DB9

Don’t turn up to a disaster area and you supposedly don’t care. Do turn up and you get accused of using the situation for photo ops and interfering with the efforts of the emergency/environmental services etc.
No don't agree, To show your face at the floods is a sign of statemanship and show you do actually care. If it happened during the GE campaign I'd agree with you

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Indeed - just because he's not put his wellies on and trooped about in the mud doesn't mean nothing's going on. The MP I'm friends with on FB whose constituency has been acutely affected has been very active in giving out information.

The Aussie PM found himself subject to tirades from locals when he visited during the fires.

tavyred

I'm not paying more, just moving project bases abroad. Taking capital out of UK and putting it into Romania, Senegal and India as we speak. :)
It doesn’t look like you and your firm will be buying into BJ’s stated aim of creating a high wage, high skill ,low tax economy post Brexit by the looks of it.

DB9

Indeed - just because he's not put his wellies on and trooped about in the mud doesn't mean nothing's going on. The MP I'm friends with on FB whose constituency has been acutely affected has been very active in giving out information.

The Aussie PM found himself subject to tirades from locals when he visited during the fires.
The Aussie PM is a bit of a climate change denier and is backed by the coal industry and I think some comments he made haven't endeared him with those affected. I did hear good things about a very concerned local MP, Maybe your Facebook friend that is doing a lot and where he can stay in the area and getting his hands dirty helping, Not just for a photo op either, Fair play to the man

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
It doesn’t look like you and your firm will be buying into BJ’s stated aim of creating a high wage, high skill ,low tax economy post Brexit by the looks of it.
Nope. It's pure nonsense. We try to avoid making any profit in the UK anyway since there are alternative places with better fiscal regimes. We have zero interest in putting money into the UK coffers, we are only here because it's easy to recruit highly educated people out of the British university system.

tavyred

Just to prove that politicians can’t win, BJ has just been accused by Corbyn of not wanting to visit the flood hit areas because it’s outside of an election campaign and there’s no votes in it. You’ll remember that the reason last time round was that he was hiding from the electorate in the middle of a GE campaign. :rolleyes:

DB9

Just to prove that politicians can’t win, BJ has just been accused by Corbyn of not wanting to visit the flood hit areas because it’s outside of an election campaign and there’s no votes in it. You’ll remember that the reason last time round was that he was hiding from the electorate in the middle of a GE campaign. :rolleyes:
Corbyn is an irrelevance and has no power to change anything, I'm sure the good folk of Wales and Yorkshire will give him short thrift, Just like in the GE, They'll want to see those that can help

tavyred

We have zero interest in putting money into the UK coffers.......
I know your desperate to shoehorn in an anti UK/ Brexit point, but do many firms have as part of their business plan the desire to put money in “UK coffers”?
Seems an irrelevant point to me, unless of course you can’t post without displaying your bitterness.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know your desperate to shoehorn in an anti UK/ Brexit point, but do many firms have as part of their business plan the desire to put money in “UK coffers”?
Seems an irrelevant point to me, unless of course you can’t post without displaying your bitterness.
Some firms are expressing a willingness to continue to invest in the UK. But not us, it's not even to do with Brexit really, it's just logistics and uncertainty. Why do work in a place where unskilled labour costs are increasing and access to the rest of the region is limited? I can employ more people per $ in Romania and have easier access to logistics across europe. It's a no brainer! I don't need a few PhD physicists I need a bunch of cheap technicians. An A-level or bacc in science is practically overqualified, but in Romania we can get degree level engineers willing to work their butts off at affordable rates. Land is cheaper as well, not to mention the trucking costs! Logistics in the UK is dire, 3-5 days trucking overland from UK to Norway currently. Under 2 from Romania and a tenth of the price!