• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Stevenage Mental Health Awareness Matchday Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Do the pictures get lost in some kind of Indoneasian translation centre on their way out to you? We played 3-5-2 as we have done for most of the season. Sweeney, Martin and Parkes at the back with Williams and Dickenson out wide at wing back/ wide midfield (depending on your perspective of it). At no point did we play with out and out full backs to play with a back four.
Yes, I know we normally play 3-5-2, although as Edwin says Williams isn't a wing back: he:s a winger.
Please see my post above where I said I stand corrected: maybe you were typing when I posted it.
Anyway, have fun in Eangland

grecIAN Harris

Yes, I know we normally play 3-5-2, although as Edwin says Williams isn't a wing back: he:s a winger.
Please see my post above where I said I stand corrected: maybe you were typing when I posted it.
Anyway, have fun in Eangland
So what does that equate to this fear factor you seem to think we have playing three centre halves against Stevenage? Whatever it is that bugs Pete in his ability to see a completely different game to the rest of us is clearly bugging you

IndoMike

We set up the same way in 90% of games. Most people would probably consider 2 wingers (Williams is not really a wingback, is he), 2 strikers AND someone with a 'free role' is actually quite an attacking line up.

Not many sides line up with fewer than 3 at the back. Not sure I've even ever seen it.
I think against a team like Stevenage a standard 4-4-2 is sufficient. I also think Sweeney comes under pressure sometimes because he has to move out from the back three to attack down the right. It's true that he can put some very good crosses in but also he seems to get caught at the back post sometimes or exposed when he moves out to the right.

IndoMike

So what does that equate to this fear factor you seem to think we have playing three centre halves against Stevenage? Whatever it is that bugs Pete in his ability to see a completely different game to the rest of us is clearly bugging you
Well you often give your opinion about Williams and most posters disagree with you, so what is it that you see that is different from the others?

grecIAN Harris

I think against a team like Stevenage a standard 4-4-2 is sufficient. I also think Sweeney comes under pressure sometimes because he has to move out from the back three to attack down the right. It's true that he can put some very good crosses in but also he seems to get caught at the back post sometimes or exposed when he moves out to the right.
Why change a successful shape and side? We did that against Swindon last week and where it got us...…… pointless.

Macca

I’d say 3-5-2 with Dickerson and Williams as the wingers/ wingbacks is more attacking than 4-4-2...

if it was Deano and Sweeney as the wingbacks, probably not. All about personnel

IndoMike

Why change a successful shape and side? We did that against Swindon last week and where it got us...…… pointless.
I think Swindon was a one-off. Big crowd, very windy, Doyle back, Taylor nobbled, Swindon top of the league. It was never gonna be easy whatever our formation. Very different to playing at home against the bottom team who have only won 3 all season.

IndoMike

I’d say 3-5-2 with Dickerson and Williams as the wingers/ wingbacks is more attacking than 4-4-2...

if it was Deano and Sweeney as the wingbacks, probably not. All about personnel
Yes, but Martin and Parkes should have been enough to handle their strikers, with Sweeney and Dickenson as attacking full backs. Surely we can vary the system a little bit depending on the opposition?

Macca

Yes, but Martin and Parkes should have been enough to handle their strikers, with Sweeney and Dickenson as attacking full backs. Surely we can vary the system a little bit depending on the opposition?
Why have a flat back four when three is enough, allowing an extra man in midfield?

Antony Moxey

What’s with the thread title?