• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Stevenage Mental Health Awareness Matchday Thread

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, but my point was should he stay at City hoping that sooner or later he can nail down a place or is it better for him to seek new pastures?
Even when Law was seemingly concussed Jay still wasn't sent on directly to substitute him : he should have been on
straight away.
Matt Jay always seems to play quite well or well when called upon, but it seems he's not quite trusted for the first team.
I'm not saying MJ is better than Law, but he is a slightly different kind of player : more dynamic, snappier, and imo a bigger goal threat
and the other thing is that although MT says MJ is behind Nicky Law, when Law is out we have played (naturally) Atangana,Collins and Taylor in midfield. I think MT’s emphasis on the physical side of the game means that MJ’s (lack of) height counts against him.

IndoMike

We played with 2 holding players, 2 wide players, 2 up front and Law/Jay 'in the hole', according to what I saw
Still 4-4-2 though. Four at the back, two upfront, and 4 somewhere in the middle.

Macca

The team yesterday wasn't really set up with a niche for him. It was more or less 4-4-2 it's just that Law was injured and MJ finally came on.
By the way, dreadful decision to send Law back on when various posters were saying he was looking groggy.
looked more like 3-5-2, with Jay behind the front two to me

andrew p long

Still 4-4-2 though. Four at the back, two upfront, and 4 somewhere in the middle.
was it? From the line up I assumed it was the usual three at the back, Williams and Dickenson as wing backs, Collins and Atangana as holding midfielders with Law/MJ playing behind the front two.

manc grecian

was it? From the line up I assumed it was the usual three at the back, Williams and Dickenson as wing backs, Collins and Atangana as holding midfielders with Law/MJ playing behind the front two.
It was....

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not from where I was watching (my sofa)

IndoMike

and the other thing is that although MT says MJ is behind Nicky Law, when Law is out we have played (naturally) Atangana,Collins and Taylor in midfield. I think MT’s emphasis on the physical side of the game means that MJ’s (lack of) height counts against him.
Yep. I was gonna say that. If Law isn't available or is subbed it's not always MJ that replaces him.
I clearly remember asking the question on here if MJ's size counted against him and I got slaughtered just for asking the question. But it's a fair question to ask. Considering people say he's one of the best footballers in the squad what else can be stopping him?

IndoMike

I stand corrected.
Three centre backs for a match against Stevenage, who have only won three games all season!?! Deary me.. What were we afraid of?

grecIAN Harris

The team yesterday wasn't really set up with a niche for him. It was more or less 4-4-2 it's just that Law was injured and MJ finally came on.
By the way, dreadful decision to send Law back on when various posters were saying he was looking groggy.
Do the pictures get lost in some kind of Indoneasian translation centre on their way out to you? We played 3-5-2 as we have done for most of the season. Sweeney, Martin and Parkes at the back with Williams and Dickenson out wide at wing back/ wide midfield (depending on your perspective of it). At no point did we play with out and out full backs to play with a back four.

I stand corrected.
Three centre backs for a match against Stevenage, who have only won three games all season!?! Deary me.. What were we afraid of?
Nothing, we were playing with five or six going forward most of the game. Michael, check your internet provider because they are clearly sending you some garbage............................. either that or you're just talking garbage (it seems strange that the two blokes at either side of the world talk the most cr@p).

Last edited:

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
I stand corrected.
We set up the same way in 90% of games. Most people would probably consider 2 wingers (Williams is not really a wingback, is he), 2 strikers AND someone with a 'free role' is actually quite an attacking line up.

Not many sides line up with fewer than 3 at the back. Not sure I've even ever seen it.