• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

What's the most Grecians have taken away ?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The last game of 89/90 when the Grecians were in party mode at Sincil Bank.There must have been about 1,500 there.
Remarkable because promotion was wrapped up & it’s a long old drag from Devon.
They were well rewarded for their effort though, with the thumping 5-1 win !

Dannyred

I remember going to Port Vale once back in the 80s..there was only about 5 or 6 of us in the away end that day the Police put us all in the back of one of there vans and taxied us back to the station.
I remember years ago away on a Tuesday night at Scunthorpe when I was one of 5 city fans

fred binneys head

I remember years ago away on a Tuesday night at Scunthorpe when I was one of 5 city fans
I felt like that at the last City Women’s home game. Der dum..........tish.

eurogrecian

I wrote an article about this for Some Sunny Day a while back. Many more people travel to games now than used to in 'the old days'.

Great showing on Saturday at Swindon. Looks like we've had at least four 2k+ league turnouts:

2 May 2009 Rotherham United 2,454
11 Dec 2010 Plymouth Argyle 2,230
8 Aug 2008 Leeds United 2,108
1 Feb 2020 Swindon Town 2,065
(Yeovil on 23 Jan 2010 just failed to make the cut on 1,970)

As for the visit to Torquay on 8 April 1977, I was there and the away end was certainly jam-packed, but the total attendance was 'only' 8,171 and I'm not sure if we made up a quarter of the crowd. We'll probably never know!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I thought we had 2.7k at Rotherham. We thought we were taking around that to Leeds then found out it was 2.1k as above.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Back when we won 3-0 at Argyle in ‘93 there was a lot that travelled. Must have been 2500 or there abouts.

Avening Posse

Back when we won 3-0 at Argyle in ‘93 there was a lot that travelled. Must have been 2500 or there abouts.
In my top 3 City games of all time for all round experience and result

eurogrecian

I thought we had 2.7k at Rotherham. We thought we were taking around that to Leeds then found out it was 2.1k as above.
There was a huge steward's enquiry after Leeds match with many City fans claiming we'd taken more, but afterwards there was a pretty authoritative block-by-block count which came to the figure of 2,108. Looked trustworthy.
I can't remember where the 2,454 at Rotherham figure came from, but I've taken care to collect the figures from good sources at the time, often writing to the home clubs in question.

The Barn Park End was full for the Plymouth game in 1993, but how many did it hold at the time? I was upstairs in the Mayflower Stand and we were quite a few there as well - could be a contender for 2k!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There was a huge steward's enquiry after Leeds match with many City fans claiming we'd taken more, but afterwards there was a pretty authoritative block-by-block count which came to the figure of 2,108. Looked trustworthy.
I can't remember where the 2,454 at Rotherham figure came from, but I've taken care to collect the figures from good sources at the time, often writing to the home clubs in question.

The Barn Park End was full for the Plymouth game in 1993, but how many did it hold at the time? I was upstairs in the Mayflower Stand and we were quite a few there as well - could be a contender for 2k!
I've trawled through the archives and you're spot on re: Rotherham:

eurogrecian

I've trawled through the archives and you're spot on re: Rotherham:
Drop me a pm if you need next week's lotto numbers ;-)