• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Politics Today

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
By the way : a HUGE demonstration in Barcelona.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
The idea that "we, the people" will have ANY say in the regional or global economic strategy post-Brexit is laughable. Tavy wants his head examining.

Not even the CEOs of FTSE 100 companies are going to have a say because it will be entirely dictated by the regulatory environment imposed upon us by the WTO. If, and it's a big if, we can cut some form of trade deal with the EU we still won't get a say in that because the EU will hamstring any agreement to avoid us becoming the European answer to Singapore or the Cayman Islands.

We don't even want to contemplate cutting deals with the US. From a corporate perspective the reach of the US legal system already looms large over UK business. Over the past 30 years we have been afforded certain freedoms and rights within the EU trading block which the US view as anticompetitive if not a direct threat to their business. You think they are going to forget about that any time soon? Protectionism is only a dirty word in the US if it applies to another country! As for dealing with a republican government, their spokesman said it best "you have no leverage, we will take you to the cleaners."

Oldsmobile-88

By the way : a HUGE demonstration in Barcelona.
I hear the echoes from the days of ‘36...

Alistair20000

Tory
Ubelieveable
Renegotiated
Deal

I wonder if it will be seen as this ?

Mr Jinx

Rebutted this a while back and Jinx said I made a fair point. But then this is a man who said Sadiq Khan fully supported the XR protests at Canning Town when in fact he said the precise opposite
I was referring to Khan's previous support of XR, e.g. https://talkradio.co.uk/news/we-see-you-allies-sadiq-khan-tells-extinction-rebellion-19042930852

Unsurprisingly, he did a volte face and condemned yesterday's actions.

IndoMike

I hear the echoes from the days of ‘36...
Yes, Olds. It's a problem that will never go away. They want independence, and Madrid will never allow it. Draconian prison sentences for the Catalonian rebel leaders.
By the way, if you haven't seen it already there's an interesting film by Ernest Hemingway on the Spanish Civil War on YouTube (50 mins) + many others ( of course)

arthur

Morning art

I don't like to see all the lefties on here in in such doom and despair. :ROFLMAO:

Ponder these points and cheer up chap:

1. Getting a job "done" is not always rewarded by the Electorate. Despite his huge influence in helping the winning of the the war Churchill was given the The Elbow in 1945. Having successfully delivered the post war reforms, Attlee was booted into touch in 1951. The Johnny Major ministry of 1990/1997 delivered a growing economy but the People decided not to reward him and instead passed the con to The Reverend Blair. It was said to be a "golden economic inheritance."

2. Boris is hoping to make inroads into Labour "Leave" seats 'oop North, in the Midlands and in Wales. Now a whole lot of the Labour voters in those seats would probably prefer to die in a ditch rather than vote Tory except in very, very exceptional circumstances. With Brexit "done" they can vote Labour. Brexit is not "done" of course with negotiations stretching years into the future but I sense a misconceived feeling of "thank God this is all over" among the Great British People. It isn't of course but it is easy to look away from that. Therefore, despite the splinters embedded in his arse, Magic Grandpa has shored up the Labour vote by keeping all options opens.

3. I expect the Lib Dems to make some gains off the Tories. For example, Zac Goldsmith in "Remain" Richmond Park looks a dead man walking sitting on a wafer thin majority of 45.

4. There may be Tory losses in Scotland.

5. Boris has p*ssed off Arlene and the DUP big time unless a secret super bung has been agreed.

6. When the result of the exit poll is announced at 22:00 on polling day after assiduous analysis from the Man Rabbit John Curtice we hear: "The Conservatives are the largest party short of an overall majority of between 5 and 25 seats and we predict the DUP will hold 10 seats" at which point I will laugh reasonably hard.

Now does not that make you feel a bit better ? (and our Jase a tad concerned ?)
Thank Al,

Appreciated!

DB9

If the DUP make the difference between the deal going through or not and they either abstain or vote against it, Then there is a GE, Could they be punished by the people of NI by voting in the less bigoted UUP instead?

Bittners a Legend

Morning art

I don't like to see all the lefties on here in in such doom and despair. :ROFLMAO:

Ponder these points and cheer up chap:

1. Getting a job "done" is not always rewarded by the Electorate. Despite his huge influence in helping the winning of the the war Churchill was given the The Elbow in 1945. Having successfully delivered the post war reforms, Attlee was booted into touch in 1951. The Johnny Major ministry of 1990/1997 delivered a growing economy but the People decided not to reward him and instead passed the con to The Reverend Blair. It was said to be a "golden economic inheritance."

2. Boris is hoping to make inroads into Labour "Leave" seats 'oop North, in the Midlands and in Wales. Now a whole lot of the Labour voters in those seats would probably prefer to die in a ditch rather than vote Tory except in very, very exceptional circumstances. With Brexit "done" they can vote Labour. Brexit is not "done" of course with negotiations stretching years into the future but I sense a misconceived feeling of "thank God this is all over" among the Great British People. It isn't of course but it is easy to look away from that. Therefore, despite the splinters embedded in his arse, Magic Grandpa has shored up the Labour vote by keeping all options opens.

3. I expect the Lib Dems to make some gains off the Tories. For example, Zac Goldsmith in "Remain" Richmond Park looks a dead man walking sitting on a wafer thin majority of 45.

4. There may be Tory losses in Scotland.

5. Boris has p*ssed off Arlene and the DUP big time unless a secret super bung has been agreed.

6. When the result of the exit poll is announced at 22:00 on polling day after assiduous analysis from the Man Rabbit John Curtice we hear: "The Conservatives are the largest party short of an overall majority of between 5 and 25 seats and we predict the DUP will hold 10 seats" at which point I will laugh reasonably hard.

Now does not that make you feel a bit better ? (and our Jase a tad concerned ?)
Sage analysis.

Two things to ponder:

1) Will appeasing the mad right of the Tory party actually ensure that those anti-EU voters will support the Cons more generally? Will they vote at all? Will they continue to support Farage in a push for a complete break with the EU?
2) How many voters have the Tories lost in the middle? The board church of the Tory party is diminished, or certainly the mad right of the Tory party may have given the electorate that impression. Even our good friend Jason has seemed at times to celebrate the loss of some Tory MPs as not being "real" Tories. As you identify, there is huge potential for the Lib Dems here. I also wonder if we might even see the Greens benefit if they stand credible candidates.

The next general election will be incredibly tough to predict on a seat-by-seat- basis as I suspect lots of shocks and lots of marginals but I can see Boris struggling for a majority even with Corbyn as the opposition.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's embarrassing for the Tories that even with someone as unelectable as Corbyn in opposition they cant even get a majority government. Such a weak government.