• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Forest Green Rovers Matchday Thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You Tube highlights

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Maxted save incident was all-round good football. FGR worked the ball well, the pass to their winger was good, the cross was really good, Maxted positioned himself very well, got across and got down to save the header. In effect he protected his goal well.
Premier League football in Div 2 (for half the price) !

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman had a storming game yesterday. Really wasn't in agreement with those who said he should have been dropped and it was him who was guilty last week of not converting good chances but he gets into those positions, his movement ahead of the defender is well timed. Look at the goal yesterday, he has no right to get to that ball first but he makes it. Lee Martin's pressing hard work was excellent throughout, and I'm a fan of his. I honestly think Matt Jay would have done a better job than Nicky Law whose passing was not at his usual standards. However, when Law is on fire he truly is a cut above. I always find it strange that people don't talk about when he has a bad game because on occasion he can set up an attack for the opposition with a really bad mistake, and is probably why he's never played at a higher level despite being our best player often.

Who is our best player this season so far? For me, it's Jack Sparkes, who has everything you need to succeed at higher levels. What has really impressed me is how aware he is defensively, positionally and in terms of timing of challenges. He can cross, he can shoot and play a simple ball when it's necessary. Theres no way we're going to hold on to him very long but we could get a pretty price for him and that's what keeps our club going. For now he has meant that we do have threat on both flanks unlike last season and he's a joy to watch.

Very pleased to see Aaron Martin back in the team and he had a great game. Parkes was very good also yesterday

exeter-loyal

Bowman had a storming game yesterday. Really wasn't in agreement with those who said he should have been dropped and it was him who was guilty last week of not converting good chances but he gets into those positions, his movement ahead of the defender is well timed. Look at the goal yesterday, he has no right to get to that ball first but he makes it. Lee Martin's pressing hard work was excellent throughout, and I'm a fan of his. I honestly think Matt Jay would have done a better job than Nicky Law whose passing was not at his usual standards. However, when Law is on fire he truly is a cut above. I always find it strange that people don't talk about when he has a bad game because on occasion he can set up an attack for the opposition with a really bad mistake, and is probably why he's never played at a higher level despite being our best player often.
Thing is Nicky Law is one of our best players and yeah he didn't have one of his best games yesterday but if he had of scored that chip everyone would be raving mad about it. You can't take too much away from the lad he's class for us!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster

Who is our best player this season so far? For me, it's Jack Sparkes, who has everything you need to succeed at higher levels. What has really impressed me is how aware he is defensively, positionally and in terms of timing of challenges. He can cross, he can shoot and play a simple ball when it's necessary. Theres no way we're going to hold on to him very long but we could get a pretty price for him and that's what keeps our club going. For now he has meant that we do have threat on both flanks unlike last season and he's a joy to watch.

Very pleased to see Aaron Martin back in the team and he had a great game. Parkes was very good also yesterday
Agree with much of that. Matt Taylor said after the match he couldn't decide all week whether or not to pick Bowman but looks like he made the right choice in the end. As for Law, he's arguably not been at his best since the Carlisle game and missed two good chances yesterday, although he was possibly fouled for one of them. He's such a good player, though, that I'm sure he'll be back to his best soon. And I've said before that if we can keep Sparkes, Collins and Williams for the whole season we have a very good chance of going up. Having said that we are in the re-assuring position of having the likes of Richardson and Randall waiting as back-up.

grecIAN Harris

Bowman in front of the goal scores those chances. Bowman like he was against Grimsby getting in front of the near post misses. Why? Because he's all about a solid touch and not trying to flick the ball in. There's very little that is delicate about Ryan.

Rosencrantz

As for Law, he's arguably not been at his best since the Carlisle game and missed two good chances yesterday, although he was possibly fouled for one of them.
Law had already missed the ball that was played across by Bowman which was a bad miss, but then was taken out late by their defender who was trying a desperate block tackle. Outside the box an easy free kick to give but rarely given in the penalty area. It's like you had your chance, so what if you're hit after. One of the games inconsistencies.

IndoMike

SEA pre-empted me about Taylor's comments re Bowman. Nobody doubts Bowman's effort but the "threat" of being replaced may have given him an extra shot in the arm. I know he played really well yesterday and took his chance. He's no slouch, either : maybe we should try to use that a bit more.

Stelios

SEA pre-empted me about Taylor's comments re Bowman. Nobody doubts Bowman's effort but the "threat" of being replaced may have given him an extra shot in the arm. I know he played really well yesterday and took his chance. He's no slouch, either : maybe we should try to use that a bit more.
The art of great management is working out how to get the best out of players. Whether that's by stick or carrot. Or both. Whatever works. Some people need a rocket up their ****. Others an arm around the shoulder.

From the little I've seen, Fisher is not in the same bracket as Bowman. Ryan is not just a lump to pump balls up to. He gets around a lot and really works to make things happen, has a good footballing 'brain' and is good with his feet too. A really impressive signing. Whereas Fisher appears to be more a "backing into a centre-half and wait for the ball to be launched to him" kind of centre-forward. Both have their place in League 2.

grecIAN Harris

Law had already missed the ball that was played across by Bowman which was a bad miss, but then was taken out late by their defender who was trying a desperate block tackle. Outside the box an easy free kick to give but rarely given in the penalty area. It's like you had your chance, so what if you're hit after. One of the games inconsistencies.
Another one those, 'wheres our second striker arriving at the back post' moments again.