• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Forest Green Rovers Matchday Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was as frustrated as you at the time but ...
the drop ball was done correctly due to the new rules.
The keeper was later being treated for concussion.
The rule is certainly an invitation to some Thespian defenders to collapse in agony at the slightest sign of danger, but rules is rules. And if there is any hint of a head injury the ref has to stop the play : better to be safe than sorry.

Spoonz Red E

I was concerned that there would be a lot more 'blast the ball at the defender and call for handball penalty' moments this season but, thankfully, not so far.

Exehausted

It doesn't actually look as good there as it did in real time from The Bank.
They rarely do Ian. It was his anticipation that I think might have made it look easier than it was. I still can't believe they didn't score from that chance.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
DevonLive reporting that we regained top spot 🙄
We did, but lost it again when Crewe scored their 4th in the 85th minute!

Red Devon

Sexton please! You're way OTT with that Maxted save. Maxted had an excellent 8/10 game and dealt with everything capably. The save you speak of was excellent because he dived with the striker and was in line with the ball when that header came in. His thinking on that was commendable and he made another excellent save earlier in the game. He proved to all that we dont have to worry about the GK position (fingers crossed) but he didnt make any world class saves.
No he isn’t!!...that save wouldn’t have been out of place in World Cup Final no matter how sh*t ifollow made it look!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Amazing to think that after the great start we have had this season we are still 1 point behind where we were last season after game 13, and we had scored 6 more goals. Still, I’m optimistic we’ll carry this through to the end of the season this time.
Last season Hiram was about to get injured and we would then go 8 games without a win which hopefully won't be repeated this season.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was as frustrated as you at the time but ...
the drop ball was done correctly due to the new rules.
The keeper was later being treated for concussion.
All correct except for the fact I don't think it was concussion. Mark Cooper was asked specifically what injury the keeper had and he refused to say. Also on iFollow we had the benefit of a replay and at no point did the keeper appear to hit his head.

However, thanks for posting the new rule. The decision to give a drop ball seemed so bizarre at the time that I thought it must be some new rule I couldn't recall. I have a lot of time for John Ayres but it's a shame that he didn't know anything about this and that no-one briefed him at half-time to correct his mistake.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Nice to hear a manager not blaming the ref for his team's defeat, although he did say the ref was atrocious.... for both teams .

DB9

I haven't read through the whole thread but has anyone said that in the build up to the goal the ball may have gone out of play? Watching the highlights it was pretty close to it

Last edited:

Larry Wilkie

Interestingly the commentator says Bowman's name differently to how we chant it. Wonder which is correct.
On Sky Sports News this morning it was VERY different!!

A Sparkes cross guided home by Ryan Bowen, then a fantastic save by Jonny Maxwell near the end of the match to preserve the 3 points!!! :confused::oops::rolleyes: